Ukswrath's FOTK build thread

ukswrath

Trimming cont...

Ab boxes

NOTE: The most complex boxes have heavy pics.

#2 on the Ab plate, 9F box

IMG_2034.jpgIMG_2033_1.jpg

#3 on the Ab plate, 9G box

IMG_2007.jpgIMG_2008.jpgIMG_2009.jpgIMG_2010.jpgIMG_2011.jpgIMG_2012.jpgIMG_2013.jpg

#4 on the Ab plate, 9H box

IMG_2032.jpgIMG_2031_1.jpg

#5 on the ab plate, 9I box

IMG_1993.jpg

IMG_1992.jpg

IMG_2003.jpg

IMG_1994.jpgIMG_1995.jpgIMG_1996.jpgIMG_1997.jpgIMG_1998.jpgIMG_1999.jpgIMG_2000.jpgIMG_2001.jpgIMG_2002.jpg

#6 on the Ab plate, 9J box

IMG_2036_1.jpgIMG_2035_1.jpgIMG_2023.jpgIMG_2022.jpgIMG_2021.jpgIMG_2020.jpgIMG_2019.jpgIMG_2018.jpgIMG_2016.jpg

Edited by ukswrath
  • Like 2

Great pics so far , just out of interest do you get any instructions or tips included from Anovos when you get your kit ?, I think thanks to yours and others threads here i will be able to bluff my way through this but it would be cool if i get a least a list of what goes where from the makers

No instructions just following or not following what others have done, looking at screen and behind the scene pics. The build specifics it seems is still up to interpretation within reason.

Though the current version of armor clearly lacks some details my goal is to refrence as many screen pics and utilize the experience of prior builders.

• Like 1

Alpha group did things a certain way because of the generation of armor they were sold, not too many reference pics to go by and time constraints.

Beta group have some upgrades, more reference pics and the guidance of others. Gamma group I suspect, ok maybe not, I was going to say have it easier. But at this point who knows.

• Like 2

Assemble tools and material.

Tools: A boat load of earth magnets and clamps. Cut resistant & neoprene gloves, old (clean) rag, something small and metal to scrape excess glue with. Safety glasses. Adequate ventilation. 

Material: Devcon plastic Welder II x2, Devcon dispensing gun and 10 mix tips.

As per manufacturers instruction store bonding cartridge in a cool place 75 Degrees on average... AH HAHAHAHA! That's funny. Before I read this (at assembly time) I'd had it in my garage for over a month where the afternoon temps were in the 90s and 100s :blink: Needless to say I was a bit nervous that the stuff would be junk. Well all is well in ukswrath buildville I'm happy to report.  :peace:

Here's the goodies 

IMG_2260.jpgIMG_2261.jpg

tips.jpg

Instructions:

Assemble gun. Install cartridge and close lock. Remove cap at the end of cartridge by twisting and pulling,

WARNING: Clean cap of excess glue. YOU WILL NEED THIS CAP.

Install mixing tip. Squeeze trigger to begin the bonding agent mix.

Apply mixed glue, 1/8" bead, to one side of section to be bonded. Apply around the edge to gain maximum bond without wasting glue. This stuff is strong, a little goes a long way. See image provided for example.  BTW heed my warnings when prompted.

Depending on ambient temperature the glue will start to dry (skin over) in 2-5 minutes. Full cure time is 45 minutes.

WARNING: The glue mixes as it travels through the tip, this too will begin to harden in 10-15 minutes if not in a constant state of flow.

NOTE: After glue is applied, ANY excess glue squeezing out you should try to remove immediately with a small screw driver or something small and metallic. DO NOT USE PLASTIC!

When this stuff cures it's like steel. You WILL need a dremel or similar and a carbide bit to remove it.

With all the warnings you're probably asking why would I want to use this stuff. Because I assembled my entire armor in 6 hours. From beginning to end with the exception of a couple items. Every 45 minutes you're gluing something. Hence the reason for a boatload of magnets and clamps. If I'd had more clamps I could have easily assembled it in half the time.   

Forearm%2068.jpg

Important SAFETY information, PLEASE READ!!

So many chemicals that are used to assembly armor are toxic. Products like adhesives, fillers, paint, sanding byproducts, these are all toxic to your health and may cause cancer or organ damage over long periods of exposure. I can't stress enough how important it is when using these products to do so in a well ventilated area and/or wear a proper respirator. NOTE: When sanding a well ventilated area in NOT good enough, USE A RESPIRATOR suited for the job.

Edited by ukswrath
  • Like 1

Assembly:

NOTE: All factory identification labels were left on sections to simplify process.

Forearms

1) Prep for assembly.

Ensure all ares to be glued are clean and dry. 

NOTE: Left and Right forearms are identified as follows: Left is labeled 7B, Right is 8B.

The remainder of the components fit accordingly, ex 7C, 7D.

IMG_1859.jpg

This is a quick assembly, it is best to mark the sections as not to get confused. 

ex.

Forearm%2043.jpg

2) Make inner cover strips for inner and outer forearm sides.

Measure target area length

Outer forearm 245mm.

Forearm%2045.jpg

Forearm%2046.jpg

Inner 250mm.

Forearm%2047.jpg

Forearm%2048.jpg

2) Cut cover strips to measured length using provided material.

NOTE: I cut my cover strips 25mm in width on both inner and outer sections.  

Forearm%2052.jpg

Forearm%2049.jpgForearm%2050.jpg

Forearm%2051.jpgForearm%2053.jpg

3) Notch inner cover cover strip to accommodate indent.

Use 1/2 the cover strip width for the notch.

Forearm%2054.jpgForearm%2055.jpgForearm%2056.jpgForearm%2057.jpgForearm%2058.jpgForearm%2059.jpg

Using a knife of dremel cut out sections. After notches are cut you may need to fine tune the overall strip length. 

Forearm%2062.jpgForearm%2061.jpg

NOTE: Since both left and right forearm sides are virtually the same it was easiest to duplicate the measurements, cut the cover strip then flip it for the other forearm.

Forearm%2063.jpgForearm%2064.jpgForearm%2065.jpg

Once inner cover strips are cut and trimmed it's time to install.

4. Glue inner cover strip to forearm sides. 

NOTE: As mentioned before it is best to have multiple sections ready to glue as not to waste time, glue and tips. Ex. I glued the forearm sides, calves, one side of the biceps, one side of the thighs and the thermal detonator interior on my first glue setting.

Forearm%2068.jpgForearm%2069.jpgForearm%2066.jpgForearm%2070.jpg

NOTE: Scrape away unwanted excess glue immediately, or leave it, whichever you prefer.

Forearm%2067.jpg

Glue cure time is 45 minutes.

Promptly afterwards remove clamps and magnets and start new section.

Forearm%2071.jpgForearm%2072.jpg

This was my first experience with excess glue. Unfortunately it was on the side that had to be mated to the forearm base. Dremel and carbide bit was the only thing that could get it off.

Forearm%2073.jpg

5) Glue sides to base.

Forearm%2074.jpgForearm%2075.jpgForearm%2076.jpgForearm%2077.jpgForearm%2078.jpgForearm%2079.jpgForearm%2080.jpg

Once dry (45 minutes) remove clamps and magnets.

Forearm%2081.jpgForearm%2082.jpgForearm%2083.jpgForearm%2084.jpgForearm%2085.jpgForearm%2086.jpgForearm%2087.jpgForearm%2088.jpgForearm%2089.jpgForearm%2090.jpg

Edited by ukswrath
  • Like 1

Forearms cont...

6) Glue plate to sides.

Before we get started there's a couple things to discuss. If you temporarily assemble the forearms it will become apparent, unless you have tiny hands there's no way you're going to get them through the end of the forearm section. Yea..... that's what I thought too WT...Heck!

After going back through and actually READING the tutorials provided by Michael Bender, thanks Mike :duim: , 1/3 of the lower plate (on the wrist side) is NOT glued. It's designed to flex allowing your hands to slide through the end. If you look at some Alpha or other builder's pics you may notice that section of the plate sticks out a bit (doesn't look secure). That's why.

After making a few test fits I discovered my hands were small enough to where I could get away with gluing one side of the plate as suggested and the other side I could glue from one end to the other. For me there's enough flexibility I can easily maneuver my hand in and out of the wrist side with no issues. I'll have to install my gloves afterwards, but that's what I do anyways.

Here's my suggestion. Test fit your forearms and glue accordingly. Option A - If you have difficulty fitting your hands through the wrist end, glue 2/3rds of the plate starting at the elbow side as suggested by others, leaving the lower 1/3 portion near the wrist unglued.

Option B - If your hands are smaller you may be able to glue them as I did. 

Another thing to discuss. To glue, or not to glue the tab on the inner forearm. This little guy here.

Forearm%2090_1.jpg

I decided since I'm going to run the glue all the way down one side, I chose the side with the tab because the other side will have less of a obstruction.

Moving on....

Apply glue to forearm sides and secure plate.

Forearm%2091.jpgForearm%2093b.jpg

Forearm%2094b.jpg

Option A

Forearm%2095a.jpg

Option B

Forearm%2095ab.jpg

Forearm%2096.jpgForearm%2097.jpg

Forearm%20101.jpgForearm%20102.jpg

NOTE: Though not necessary I added additional glue on the inside as a filler between gaps.

Forearm%2098.jpgForearm%2099.jpg

After glue cure remove clamp, tape and magnets or whatever you used.

Forearm%201.jpgForearm%202.jpgForearm%204.jpgForearm%205.jpgForearm%206.jpg

7) Assemble forearm box

Starting with your trimmed pieces, remove all burs and test fit.

Forearm%2019.jpgForearm%2020.jpgForearm%2021.jpg

After test fit glue base in place.

Place a bead of glue to insides of box, slide base inside, place on a table base down, slowly press down of box until flat. 

Forearm%2030.jpg

Forearm%2032.jpg

Forearm%2033.jpg

Forearm%2034.jpgForearm%2035.jpgForearm%2036.jpg

Forearm%2022.jpg

8) Install greeblie (provided in kit) into channel.

Apply glue and install greeblie with the single button closest to your elbow. 

Forearm%203b.jpggreeblie.jpg

9) Glue box to forearm plate.

NOTE: Align box end (wrist side) between raised section of plate and wrist edge.

Forearm%207.jpg

Forearm%2015.jpg

Forearm%209.jpgd22a9b8b-a6e7-4794-9575-5256eea05636.jpgForearm%2013.jpgForearm%2014.jpg

Final before filler and greeblie install.

IMG_2448.jpgIMG_2449.jpgIMG_2450.jpgIMG_2451.jpgf603f5b6-9d7d-44a9-8341-322d1667cd91.jpg

Edited by ukswrath
  • Like 4

WHOA!!!   I'm so happy we're in the same garrison...i'm calling you for help!!!    That's a ton of trimming, sanding, and prepping.   

If i'm seeing this clearly, the best approach to starting the armor is to . . . 

1. Cut first with a dremel with a drill bit circular saw

2. Sand and shape with a belt sander

3. Use the special gun instead of e-6000

• Like 1

EDIT:

1) Identify pieces and outline sections to trim

2) Everything else lol

You got it Walter, whatever you need brother.  :duim:

Edited by ukswrath
  • Like 1

EDIT:

1) Identify pieces and outline sections to trim

This may be the hardest part of the build, prior to "bondo" work at least.

Granted, I don't know very much about the science behind shaping the forming bucks, but the appearance of three or four cut lines on every piece makes the cutting/trimming far more difficult than it is with a normal TK kit.

And I have to commend you as always, for some beautiful work here, Tony...   Very nice, clean looking work, and six hours you say?  You're setting the bar awfully high for those of us with shipping notifications.  ;)  

Truly inspirational though.  I now know it can be done.

This may be the hardest part of the build, prior to "bondo" work at least.

Granted, I don't know very much about the science behind shaping the forming bucks, but the appearance of three or four cut lines on every piece makes the cutting/trimming far more difficult than it is with a normal TK kit.

And I have to commend you as always, for some beautiful work here, Tony...   Very nice, clean looking work, and six hours you say?  You're setting the bar awfully high for those of us with shipping notifications.   ;)

Truly inspirational though.  I now know it can be done.

So true regarding trimming and trim lines. It wasn't by accident I took time off from the TFA to build a TK for a garrison mate. Though I was building something else I was watching TFA build threads intensely, learning, studying and hoping to avoid some of the obstacles they had to overcome. 

It's one thing to illustrate cut lines, it's another to see what it's supposed to look like after the trimming. Myself along with other builders are doing our best

to document each process to make it easier and less frustrating for the next gen. As each build is started, documented and completed the process is refined. Soon you'll be leading the next gen, and so on. Thanks for the Kudos brother. 

Six hours, if that. It's all about prep work (armor, game plan), proper tools and material.  Once the assembly started it was actually a joy to do. The glue I have to say made it as simple as installing cover strips on a TK, glue and clamp. Once I figured out how to streamline the gluing, coupled with 45 minute cure times, the process was like that of an assembly line. As mentioned, if I'd had more magnets I could have easily cut the time in half.

Tonight I'm hoping to have most of the assembly posted here.

BTW, I have yet to hear from any veterans. If any of you are reading this and see anything I've overlooked please chime in.  

• Like 1

Out of curiosity, and for the sake of expanding the knowledge of the builder base :D, how many magnets were you using?  

Also, did you reinforce the shoulder yoke assembly interior at all?  If so, how?  Did you use fiberglass - I thought you'd mentioned it someplace else maybe.

And, where might one procure the Devcon products for use in their own builds?  Thanks.  I'm greatly looking forward to seeing the rest of your progress.

EDIT:  It occurs to me now that I'm reading this, that the answer to the second question is probably going to be addressed in your update later, so I'll wait and see that when the time comes.  LoL

• Like 1

Out of curiosity, and for the sake of expanding the knowledge of the builder base :D, how many magnets were you using?  

Also, did you reinforce the shoulder yoke assembly interior at all?  If so, how?  Did you use fiberglass - I thought you'd mentioned it someplace else maybe.

And, where might one procure the Devcon products for use in their own builds?  Thanks.  I'm greatly looking forward to seeing the rest of your progress.

EDIT:  It occurs to me now that I'm reading this, that the answer to the second question is probably going to be addressed in your update later, so I'll wait and see that when the time comes.  LoL

:D great questions Tim.

1) 40

2) Yes, I will try to illustrate that tonight

3) I will update my tool and materials list tonight

EDIT: Yes  :laugh1:

• Like 1

Assembly cont...

Thermal Detonator

I highly recommend assembling the components with magnets first to ensure everything will line up. 

The next few pictures will give you a idea of what it will look like assembled but not glued.

IMG_1720.jpgIMG_1722.jpgIMG_1729.jpg

The sections.

Tube bottom

IMG_1708-crop_1.jpgIMG_1704.jpgIMG_1703.jpg

Tube top

IMG_1692-crop.jpg

IMG_1698.jpg

IMG_1699.jpg

IMG_1696.jpgIMG_1691.jpg

Cap right (short).

IMG_1689-crop.jpgIMG_1689.jpg

Cap left (long)

IMG_1685-crop.jpg

Back plate

IMG_1718.jpgIMG_1716.jpgIMG_1714.jpg

Mount

IMG_1963.jpgIMG_1964.jpg

1) Start by trimming the end caps to the following specs.

Right side cap (short) 15mm.

IMG_1688.jpg

Left side end cap (large) 38mm.

IMG_1687.jpg

2) Assemble the bottom and top tube sections, using magnets to hold together. From the inside slide the left and right side caps. 

NOTE: The left side cap will extend outside of the tube section. The right side will reside inside the tube section.

IMG_2109.jpgIMG_2108.jpgIMG_2107.jpg

IMG_2110.jpgIMG_2111.jpgIMG_2112.jpgIMG_2113.jpg

Apply small amounts of CA glue on seems throughout the inside of the tube section. This is a temporary hold for additional test fitting to come. 

IMG_2114.jpg

IMG_2122.jpg

IMG_2121.jpgIMG_2115.jpg

Test fit on back plate.

IMG_1720.jpgIMG_1722.jpg

IMG_1723_1.jpgIMG_1725_1.jpg

Once satisfied with the test fit, apply Devcon glue along the inside of tube and caps seams. Wearing gloves evenly spread out the glue.

IMG_2268.jpgIMG_2269.jpgIMG_2270.jpgIMG_2271.jpg

Let dry.

Prepare to glue tube to back plate.

IMG_2326.jpgIMG_2327.jpg

Apply Devcon to tube mount.

IMG_2329.jpgIMG_2330.jpg

Assemble to back plate. Clamp both sections together or place semi heavy object on top of tube assembly.

IMG_2334.jpgIMG_2335.jpg

IMG_2336.jpgIMG_2337.jpg

Let dry 45 minutes.

Remove clamp

IMG_2352.jpgIMG_2356.jpgIMG_2357.jpg

Install mount.

After trimming, one side of the mount will be longer and tapered compared to the other side. The tapered side will be glued to the back plate.

IMG_1962.jpgIMG_1963.jpgIMG_1968.jpg

IMG_2130.jpg

Clamp together.

IMG_2131.jpgIMG_2132.jpgIMG_2133.jpgIMG_2134.jpgIMG_2135.jpg

Let dry.

Remove clamps

IMG_2137.jpgIMG_2139.jpg

Finished, prior to applying filler.

IMG_2354.jpg

Edited by ukswrath

Assembly cont....

Shoulder and back (Yoke)

As you will notice in this first section here I used E6000 prior to knowing that wasn't a good idea because it flexes too much. The good news is I used a boat load, let it set for a full month and everything else around it was glued with Devcon.  :huh:

BTW, this is the first section of armor I assembled. Besides the belt boxes nothing else on the armor will be assembled with E6000.

Connecting place to front plate.

IMG_0595.jpgIMG_0596.jpgIMG_0597.jpgIMG_0601.jpgIMG_0602.jpgIMG_0603.jpgIMG_0604.jpgIMG_0605.jpg

Apply Devcon glue to connecting plate as seen here and attache back plate.

20150815_180700a.jpg20150815_181734.jpg20150815_181736.jpg20150815_181755.jpg

As mentioned in other build threads there is a weakness in the shoulders that causes the armor to crack at the location where the connecting plate meets the front plate.

My solution was to take a piece of scrap and create a brace between the two to give the area some support. My hope is I didn't transfer the stress to a weaker section.

Here's the support. Glued with Devcon and lathered the area a bit to give additional support.

NOTE: the scrap was from the shoulder.

NOTE 12//1/15: Procedure updated. Due to the shoulder bell support update, illustrated later in this build, I suggest skipping this crack update. The shoulder bell update utilizes a larger bracket that will greatly support the area mentioned here eliminating the need for this smaller one. If you DO NOT plan on performing the bell support update then continue on. 

IMG_2397.jpgIMG_2398.jpg

Test fit

IMG_2400.jpgIMG_2401.jpgIMG_2402.jpg

Apply Devcon glue to the following areas and install braces. 

IMG_2422.jpg

IMG_2423.jpgIMG_2424.jpg

Let dry.

Finished, before filler

IMG_2453.jpgIMG_2454.jpgIMG_2458.jpgIMG_2459.jpgIMG_2460.jpg

IMG_2461.jpgIMG_2462.jpg

Edited by ukswrath
  • Like 2

Looking great Tony! I'm proud (and a bit envious) of all of you guys doing a really thorough job and documenting it so well. Great work!

Well we wouldn't be here if it wasn't for your lead.  :icon_bow:

Thank you 

Edited by ukswrath
  • Like 2