LoveMonkey's AM 2.0 Build Thread

So a lot of questions today, but here goes another. Once I squeeze my hand through the forearm, the opening around the wrist seems rather large. My wrist is quite slim compared to my hands . Is this normal or should I be worried that the large opening at the wrist will look wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After my first troop, I took off a little more from the wrist end... remember that you're going to have gloves stuffed up the wrist end too, so there needs to be a little room there for that... as well as the ability to bend your wrists forward and back to hold things.

• Like 1

This may be a dumb question but it looks like you have the inner wrist halves together, where's the outer ridge as seen here?

Forearm%20no%20return.jpg

IMG_0263.jpg

Edited by ukswrath

I think that looks normal so don't worry about the wrists. As far as the thighs go, pull them up as high as you can comfortably. If they still come past midway of your knees  you may want to consider trimming the top. If they cover your whole knee up like mine do because I'm only 5'5" you definitely need to trim the top and benefit from cutting out behind the knee as well. 

This may be a dumb question but it looks like you have the inner wrist halves together, where's the outer ridge as seen here?

Forearm%20no%20return.jpg

IMG_0263.jpg

It's there, you just can't see it in this picture. It's hidden by the glove and angle of the picture.

So no real progress today.  I work the weekend shift so everything is on hold for the moment.  I do have the 2nd inner cover strips for the biceps ready, so if I have time/if I'm awake enough when I get home in the morning I may try to get those in place and gluing while I'm working.  Pictures to follow when that happens  :D

I've been doing some reading and still not sure the best method for sizing.  If anyone has some advice for sizing the thighs, shins, or chest area, I would greatly appreciate any tips before I attempt to tackle it next week.

Upcoming tasks

1. Apply 2nd cover strip to both biceps (both inner and outer).  
  2. Finish fitting forearm (I think I will be removing the outer overlap area around the elbow area and then finishing sizing along with cleaning up the wrist area that I attempted with a Dremel).  Hope to get the forearms to gluing this week.
  3. Start trimming and fitting the thighs and shins.  I think I will trim first and then shorten length-wise afterwards depending on the fit.
Edited by LoveMonkey

It's been nothing but work for me the past few days.  I really hate how much it slows the build down.  And I don't know about anyone else, but when I go downstairs to my basement and smell the ABS scent, man do I love it!

I had a few minutes today so I applied the second inner cover strip on both biceps.  Once that is done gluing, then the outer strips and some cleanup and they should be primarily done.

IMG_0337_zps73donssj.jpg

IMG_0338_zpsz8wj3dys.jpg

Here's to hoping I find more time later this week to make more progress and fix the forearms.

So I'm back at it tonight.  Got the final outer cover strip gluing on the biceps.  Needs some finishing sanding and cleanup but they are pretty much ready to go!

IMG_0341_zpsiv3fb52d.jpg

After getting that to glue, I'm back at the forearms.  After much debate and trying on the left forearm, which doesn't have any cover strips in place yet, I decided to trim off the back lip and make the forearm sit flat.  I also trimmed a small amount more off and the opening match the right forearm pretty well.  I feel pretty good about it.

Here is what it looks like with the glove and undersuit in place:

IMG_0342_zpssl2m1pmf.jpg

Here is the one question I have - the front lip was removed using a Dremel, which I wasn't very comfortable with.  Needless to say, the cut is not very smooth.  Should I cut and even out the circled area now before doing any cover strips or should I wait until it is all glued up?

IMG_0350_zpsr04xck5g.jpg

Here's to hoping the forearm inner cover strips get to glue in the next few days, then it's off to the thighs and shins.

I taped my forearm to a position I wanted them to stay in, then sanded them smooth on a whole sheet of sand paper attached to a solid board, that way I could check to see if any daylight was getting in from an uneven edge.

I thought about gluing the cover strips first, but didn't want to sand the edges of them once they were fitted.

Just curious, when you trimmed your biceps, did you trim them to fit or did you trim them to fit with a bit of taper, like the forearms ?

The more I look at mine I am wondering if a slight taper from the top to the elbow to try and match the size of the forearms is the way to go ?

I guess I'll smooth them out before the cover strips  :)

On another note, is there a recommended way to removed any excess E6000 that has leaked out the sides.  Now that everything is in place on the biceps, I don't want to do any damage trying to remove glue.

Just curious, when you trimmed your biceps, did you trim them to fit or did you trim them to fit with a bit of taper, like the forearms ?

The more I look at mine I am wondering if a slight taper from the top to the elbow to try and match the size of the forearms is the way to go ?

I just trimmed them to fit.  Squeezed together until I got a good fit on one side and then used the same measurements on the other.  Speaking of the forearms, since they were my first piece to work on (and I'm still working on them  :blink: ), I didn't taper much, just fit and cut.  Hopefully they turn out alright.

To remove excess E6000, you can use your fingernails or a trimmed stick of ABS, rub along one end of the glue patches, back and forth next to the cover strip until one piece curls up, then grab that and pull.  If you have little "islands" of glue, just keep rubbing back and forth with an ABS stick.  It won't scratch the armor, and will (eventually) get up all of the extra glue.

Don't use anything harder than ABS, because then you would run the risk of scratching it up.

So I'm working right now on the forearms. They fit nice and the wrist opening is as tight as I can possibly get it. However, when I wear the under suit and gloves and when I put my arms at my side, the forearms slip down to the end if the wrist. Should I be concerned about this and how can I fix it?

For the thighs.  First I cut all the excess off the front of them to 10mm on each side, so a 20mm cover strip would cover them.  I then held them together with blue tape, and made sure they conformed to my leg, and that I could slide them on and off.  My wife then marked the center point on the top and bottom of the overlap on the back of the thigh.  She made sure the marks were in the center of the back of my leg.  I then connected the dots, scored, snapped and used 20mm cover strips to finish them up.  

• Like 1

So I'm working right now on the forearms. They fit nice and the wrist opening is as tight as I can possibly get it. However, when I wear the under suit and gloves and when I put my arms at my side, the forearms slip down to the end if the wrist. Should I be concerned about this and how can I fix it?

No, because they will be attached to the bicep and shoulder armor.