LoveMonkey's AM 2.0 Build Thread

I have Irish twins at home, an 18 month old and a 6 month old. As soon as I get home from work, my wife is handing them off to me before she has a nervous breakdown lol so I can definitely understand. You may want to consider doing a complete arm with just inner strips, testing it out and make changes to return edges for pinch points THEN put on the finishing strips. The best thing about all of this is there is no right or wrong way to do it, just aim for screen accuracy in the final result as much as possible. 

Hey Kirk looking good sir.

If you haven't done so already take a look at my AM build thread, it talks about how to assemble this particular type of armor to avoid the bad angles you're dealing with during assembly, especially with the forearms and biceps.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/31920-ukswraths-am-10-ata-bucket-build/

Feel free to ask any questions.

Hey Kirk looking good sir.

If you haven't done so already take a look at my AM build thread, it talks about how to assemble this particular type of armor to avoid the bad angles you're dealing with during assembly, especially with the forearms and biceps.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/31920-ukswraths-am-10-ata-bucket-build/

Feel free to ask any questions.

Thanks, I've been reading through your build thread quite a bit actually.  I got quite a few ideas before working on the biceps.  I don't think I've found the part about dealing with the bad angles, but I'll take a look when I have a moment.  Really appreciate it!

Thanks, I've been reading through your build thread quite a bit actually.  I got quite a few ideas before working on the biceps.  I don't think I've found the part about dealing with the bad angles, but I'll take a look when I have a moment.  Really appreciate it!

You remedy the bad angles by assembling it a certain way. If you need more explanation hit me up. 

You remedy the bad angles by assembling it a certain way. If you need more explanation hit me up. 

I've been reading extensively through your build thread.  I can't see anywhere that I understand about the special assembly method to deal with the bad angles.  I was going to just cut them into a more level position before gluing.  If that isn't right, please point me in the right direction before I make any cuts.

I'm not a very hands-on person, so this is all quite a new experience for me.  Thanks for the help.

I've been reading extensively through your build thread.  I can't see anywhere that I understand about the special assembly method to deal with the bad angles.  I was going to just cut them into a more level position before gluing.  If that isn't right, please point me in the right direction before I make any cuts.

I'm not a very hands-on person, so this is all quite a new experience for me.  Thanks for the help.

Page one http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/31920-ukswraths-am-10-ata-bucket-build/

1) Start with side one, the side that faces the front of your body. That's the side most will see. Install a inner cover strip then let dry 24-48hrs. With enough magnets and clamps you can do both forearms and biceps at the same time. After drying install outer cover strip.

2) After outer cover strip is dried on side one proceed with the opposite side starting with the inner cover strips. I would suggest using some tape to assist in keeping the halves closed and strong clamps at the ends to assist in keeping the edges aligned during this portion.

Hope this helps

Edited by ukswrath
  • Like 1

Page one http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/31920-ukswraths-am-10-ata-bucket-build/

1) Start with side one, the side that faces the front of your body. That's the side most will see. Install a inner cover strip then let dry 24-48hrs. With enough magnets and clamps you can do both forearms and biceps at the same time. After drying install outer cover strip.

2) After outer cover strip is dried on side one proceed with the opposite side starting with the inner cover strips. I would suggest using some tape to assist in keeping the halves closed and strong clamps at the ends to assist in keeping the edges aligned during this portion.

Hope this helps

Yes, this does help.  Now I just need to find time to get more work done.  Thanks again for the help!

So, magnets finally came today.  Having a newborn in the house makes it hard to find time to work on this, but I was able to find an hour or so today.  I finished trimming and cleaning the bicep I was working on and got one of the inner cover strips gluing.  I also began trimming the other bicep based on the measurements already taken from the previous bicep.

IMG_0332_zpsfxj6olvn.jpg

IMG_0331_zpspxgdsp1y.jpg

Here's to hoping I can find more time soon to get more done!

Glue a piece before leaving for work in the morning and another when you walk back in the door. My wife caught on to this trick and started greeting me at the door with the kids saying, "tag, you're it!"

That's what I was doing too!  I'd wake up, take care of all the stuff, then go out to the garage and get a piece cut and clamped (or just cut, sometimes) and then first then when I got home, get another piece going.  (:

I was able to find some time today.  I was able to finish trimming the second bicep and get the first inner cover strip gluing.  No pictures because it is exactly the same as the pictures above.  

I was thinking about the outer cover strips.  I know the idea is to use the spare ABS sent with the kit to get a nice, glossy, quality strip on the outside.  Since I am going for a Sandy and while be weathering/dirtying up the outside anyways, I was thinking about using the ABS that I'm trimming from the parts and saving the spare ABS in case I make a mistake.  Any thoughts on this?

That's what I was doing too!  I'd wake up, take care of all the stuff, then go out to the garage and get a piece cut and clamped (or just cut, sometimes) and then first then when I got home, get another piece going.  (:

Glue a piece before leaving for work in the morning and another when you walk back in the door. My wife caught on to this trick and started greeting me at the door with the kids saying, "tag, you're it!"

This sounds like a good idea.  I work graveyards on the weekends, so I will have to see.  I'm a bit tired when I get home at 6 in the morning.  :D

I was thinking about the outer cover strips.  I know the idea is to use the spare ABS sent with the kit to get a nice, glossy, quality strip on the outside.  Since I am going for a Sandy and while be weathering/dirtying up the outside anyways, I was thinking about using the ABS that I'm trimming from the parts and saving the spare ABS in case I make a mistake.  Any thoughts on this?

Hey Kirk regarding the outer cover strips. I highly suggest using the actual cover strip material that came with your kit. It's twice as thick and stronger than using scrap cover strip material. You can always buy extra material from the AM mfg or trooperbay.com if you need it.

Hey Kirk regarding the outer cover strips. I highly suggest using the actual cover strip material that came with your kit. It's twice as thick and stronger than using scrap cover strip material. You can always buy extra material from the AM mfg or trooperbay.com if you need it.

Just because I'm curious, how is the extra material twice as thick and stronger? Isn't it all the same material? I haven't looked at it very closely so that's why I ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just because I'm curious, how is the extra material twice as thick and stronger? Isn't it all the same material? I haven't looked at it very closely so that's why I ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your armor is probably 1-1.5mm the cover strip is probably 2mm

The material that came with the kit is meant for cover strips. Your scrap is going to be all over the place. Basically a big large piece of ABS is vacuum formed over a mold piece. So some parts will be thinner than others. Use the scrap for inner strips or buy extra abs and have the best of both worlds.

• Like 1

So I decided to go back and start finishing the forearms and glue cover strips while I wait for the biceps to glue.  I also haven't had much time to work because my newborn has been very high-maintenance and wants to be held all the time.  I guess there could be worse things.  :duim:  When I get more time I will get outer cover strips cut so they can be glued.

Today I took out the forearm that I was working on at the armor party.  Chalk it up to inexperience and this being the first piece that I attempted to trim, which is why the cuts looks so bad.  Also, some members recommended using the Dremel they had to make the cut and I decided to try it.  Never really felt comfortable with it, hence the really bad cuts.  I can't blame anyone but my own inexperience with the Dremel for the bad cut.  I switched to the ruler and score/snap method at home using an exacto knife and felt very comfortable with it almost instantly.  

Today, I used the ruler and score/snap method in an attempt to straighten up the pieces as best I could.  Only took a small amount off.  Got it as close as I could and didn't want to take much else off as the pieces taped together feel really good and snug as is.  So I set it to glue and now we wait.  As you will see in the picture, I circled an area that has a bit of a gap.  I'm hoping that once both cover strips are installed and the glue cures that it won't be a big deal.  If anyone has a recommendation about how to fix this or what to do going forward, that would be great.  For now, i just plan to wait for the glue to dry and then install the outer cover strip.  I just don't want it to come apart down the road.

Also, the inner cover strips are huge because that it what we did at the armor party.  I have since gone to the 15mm that is recommended here.

IMG_0335_2_zpsmrid6cul.jpg

IMG_0334_zpsybgqsdqt.jpg

Edited by LoveMonkey

I don't think it looks that bad and remember, you're going to hide that with the finishing strip anyways. Don't over stress certain areas because like me, you're going sandy and things are a little more forgiving and can be hidden with some well placed weathering. 

• Like 1

Yea Kirk it looks just fine, and will function just fine also. Minor gaps are par for the course in this hobby.

Remember, most armors only have the outer cover strip, the fact you have an inner as well just doubles the strength in the area.

BTW, dremels are great for corners and such, but for long straight lines cut and snap is the only way to go.  

Keep up the great work

So I found some more time today.  With the help of my 5-year-old (he assisted in placing clamps on the outer cover strips), I was able to get both biceps glued and clamped for the 1st outer cover strip.  Feels good to be making some real progress.  Now the wait for the glue to dry begins. 

IMG_3201_zpskkylh39s.jpg

One of the cover strips seemed to not be sitting flush in the middle with just the magnets, so I threw on two of the bigger clamps.  Hopefully this won't present a problem down the line, especially when I connect the two pieces and seal them together.

IMG_3205_zps8spfqwaa.jpg

I also finished trimming the other forearm.  All of my magnets are currently in use so I will have to wait until tomorrow before I can begin gluing the 1st inner cover strip.

Since all of the magnets are currently in use, I decided to attempt to fit my thighs and shins.  If there is one part of this process that I hate, it is sizing and fitting.  Makes me so nervous that I might make the wrong marks and then cut the wrong amount off.

One of the questions I have is how to know where the thighs go.  Does the cover strip face out away from my body or is it anchored on the side of my leg?  And is this the same for the shins?  Basically I was sitting there moving the pieces in several different directions and nothing seemed to feel right.  Before I start trimming I want to make sure I put them in the right place and take the right measurements.

Also, I was about to take off the bottom edge on the thighs, as shown in the picture below.  I think it won't pinch as much and will make fitting easier.  I also think it won't catch on my undersuit.  Is this right, do I take off these edges on all the pieces or just the forearms?  I already did it with the biceps but the legs are a bit different.

IMG_3208_2_zpstt7ntrk6.jpg

Thanks for the continued help.  You guys are making this process a lot easier to tackle!

You can trim down that return edge quite a bit on the bottom of the thigh. You want the thighs to have the finishing strip to run center with the knee cap. It's ok if it turns outwards at the top a bit but you really want to aim to get it straight as possible. Look at www.looksirdroids.com for some really good reference photos. It'll all make sense! Since you're going sandy, pick a sandtrooper you like the most and try to emulate it as much as possible. Even if you don't go SWAT, you at least have a model for reference so you know you're on the right track or not. 

You can take the return edge off of the shins and the thighs...top and bottom. it will not affect EIB or Centurion status. I took mine off just for mobility sake and to eliminate armor bites.

Looking good BTW...once you start getting cover strips on and some parts complete the whole thing comes together.

Keep up the good work. :jc_doublethumbup: