Barcoder's First Order TK build thread (TK-12175)

Painting is always "fun".

Some tricks that work for me:

- Do just short bursts of at most one second, never spray continously

- Always wait a short while before going over the same spot again.

- Better risk a slightly patchy first and second coat. Just do three, it is less frustrating than getting this rought spots.

And, although it might be too late for you:

- Use a primer (preferably same brand as the paint, as they are meant to be used in combination), it just has a better surface than the mixture of sanded plastic, not so much sanded plastic and bondo.

Good luck with the next coat!  :)

Edited by Cody42

Painting is always "fun".

Some tricks that work for me:

- Do just short bursts of at most one second, never spray continously

- Always wait a short while before going over the same spot again.

- Better risk a slightly patchy first and second coat. Just do three, it is less frustrating than getting this rought spots.

And, although it might be too late for you:

- Use a primer (preferably same brand as the paint, as they are meant to be used in combination), it just has a better surface than the mixture of sanded plastic, not so much sanded plastic and bondo.

Good luck with the next coat!  :)

Yes, I did use a primer from the same brand. Thanks for the tips! :)

Had a bit of an issue/potential issue come up....
I have discovered a stress point on the Ab Section that has led to a small crack up the bottom edge.
Stress%20points_zpsstskysdg.jpg
The green line represents where the most flexing happens when I put on the Ab Section. When I open up the back section to slip in on, this is were it bends the most. The repeat stress caused a small crack on my left side. Thankfully it was only on the inside return edge & I was able to stop it in it's tracks. lol.

I just reinforced the area with a piece of ABS (curved to match the inside.) and some PlasticWeld (Red area on the pic). Seems to be doing the trick. I'll post a real pic once the Ab Section is done being painted.

Side note - As  I didn't actually remove any part of the back, just split it open, my stress point may be different on those suits that actually cut out the back?

Nice job buddy! You're steps away from trooping this thing!

Glad the snap thing worked out on the spats. One of my snaps is giving me problems so I need to fix it, but I like it way better than the velcro. ;)

Right?! it's so exciting. Sucks waiting for the paint to dry. lol

Yes, one of my snaps gives me a bit of trouble (just harder to snap in.) In hindsight, I wouldn't have sunk the snaps as low as I did.) Oh well, they still work! :)

Well, painting went as well as I thought it would. Terrible. lol. After a few dumb mistakes & cosmetic surgery, everything has finally been painted & looking super glossy. Took me three tries on the chest piece, but man, does it shine! Glass finish. lol

While I am waiting for the last pieces to dry, thought I'd take a stab at creating a mock up/conversion of the new side arm/pistol. As there is not much for reference images yet, (Black series figure & the pic from Celebration) a few us did some brainstorming on Facebook.... Might as well start another TFA project. lol

Here are the two toy guns I will using parts from...

IMG_20150731_170029_zpsgdfxpmec.jpgIMG_20150731_170100_zpspi8idids.jpg

This involved using the hilt & a section of one....and the top section of another...and a random scope for the emitter. It also involved a lot of construction using ABS to build up the back end and some details....

In progress....

IMG_20150731_233946_zpstba0xqzu.jpg

All primed.....

IMG_20150801_185138_zpszzjr5hzk.jpg

Haven't found a scope for the top yet. I've been told it's a variation of a reflex sight scope? The reference photos of the side arm are of no help. It's kinda like a black angular blob... lol

Here is where I am at now. (Just quickly mocking up the areas of black & white.)

IMG_20150801_194413_zpsb24hqahh.jpg

Edited by Barcoder

That blaster looks interesting.

I'd imagine it with a larger flash hider like on the DL-44 or Power 5.

Agreed. I built the back section a little high and the flash hider/emitter should be a little longer/bigger. Not bad for under $9.00. :)

Here is the final result (with weathering & details.)

IMG_20150802_125810_zpskepjkqf6.jpg

I'll send you $10 if you make me one ;)

But seriously. Don't be afraid to share your source for the toys. Do I need to go to Dollarama again?

I'll send you $10 if you make me one ;)

But seriously. Don't be afraid to share your source for the toys. Do I need to go to Dollarama again?

Hahahahhaha. Would probably be slightly more than $10.00 ;)

Yes, good ole' Dollarama was the source. (That place has been very handy!) The black gun came with a cop playset and the other one was a pump water gun.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, seems like I forgot to post my last work on the suit....

Finished applying all the decals. As I work with adhesive vinyl regularly, it went smoothly. Pro-tip: a q-tip works perfectly for getting the little pill decals in and smoothed to the shape, without scrapping the finish of the vinyl.

IMG_20150811_170952_zpsrgigtdnn.jpg

This pic also shows my final recreated lower wrist detail. (The one I cut off!) Final result isn't perfect, but it still looks good.

Assembled the holster and bolted that baby on! I only bolted the 2 large screws to the thigh, no glue. I hope to replace the holster with a functional cnc'd version sometime soon. The bolts hold very well.....I'd rather not fight with CA glue trying to pry the holster off. lol

I used my dremel tool to drill the holes for the screws & counter-sunk them with one of the tapered sanding bits.

IMG_20150811_170758_zpsqk5cyndg.jpg

The belt is completely finished but I haven't attached the boxes yet...so no pic. :( I won't be attaching them until the first troop I do in the kit. I want to save the paint finish... lol

And lastly, the gloves. I got sick of waiting for Anovos to send my pair....so I found a supplier and got my own.

I removed the white leather at the finger tips with a stitch-ripper. I got as close to the seam as possible. This way, I was able to remove all the leather, even from the inside of the gloves....which means no black Sharpie! YAY! (I did tear a few stitches along the way....but just sewed them back up.)

IMG_20150811_170546_zpsowx9gcne.jpg

IMG_20150811_170551_zpsznpkj5fs.jpg

No Sharpie required!!! :)

I have also begun to add more accurate details to the gloves....namely the stitched palm pads. Given the horrible state of the Canadian dollar, I just can't bring myself to buy an accurate pair right now. Maybe when our dollar gets better..... :(

IMG_20150811_170604_zpsztqmysdi.jpg

This was a pain in my fingers...literally. Stabbed myself soooo many times....lol I still have to do another round to create the double stitching...but it's off to a good start. 

I have my first official troop in the armour next Wednesday. I'll be sure to post pics and report on how the strapping held up.

• Like 1

Man, I still love the smaller pistol you made. I'm holding out hope for Force Friday that there's a decent toy that can be converted, otherwise I'm making one in a similar fashion. It would definitely improve the holster to have something hanging on it, but I doubt it will be the big blaster hanging there for now.

Man, I still love the smaller pistol you made. I'm holding out hope for Force Friday that there's a decent toy that can be converted, otherwise I'm making one in a similar fashion. It would definitely improve the holster to have something hanging on it, but I doubt it will be the big blaster hanging there for now.

I love that we get the option of a small pistol! I really do hope we get It up here in Canada; sometimes the selection can vary... Fingers crossed for Force Friday! I think a good conversion can be done, based on the leaked pic of the pistol. :)

Well, tomorrow is my first troop in my armour! Thought I'd give the whole suit a trial-run...

DSCN3361%20small_zpsuit5cybv.jpgFront%20outside%20small_zpsuulinbku.jpg

Both%20guns%20small_zpstqhzs0z4.jpgSide%20arm%20small_zpsdcumztzo.jpg

(I felt like a total bad a$$ with both guns.:) )

One must remember to stop and take the time to smell the flowers along the way......while blasting Resistance Fighters.

DSCN3371%20small_zpszkd49sjc.jpg

Only issue I noticed was the one strap for the shoulder bells. It's not enough to keep the shoulder bells from moving all over the place. I will have to alter my set up or go with 2 straps, spaced out a bit. That will keep them in place....

Other than that, everything was held in it's place quite well!  (Yes, I am aware that the large belt pouch is on the wrong side. In my defence, it looked right in the mirror! lol)

I will give a full report after my troop tomorrow.

• Like 4