Barcoder's First Order TK build thread (TK-12175)

It is very possible that I missed it somewhere in all of the information, but what is the material that you used for your gaskets?

I've been known to curse out a Singer from time to time, so the thought of sewing them myself isn't all that intimidating, and we've got several kits locally in various stages of build. Having the ability to replicate your gaskets might be a crucial piece to getting our FO TKs up to speed.

Thanks for all of the info and great details!

These were a total pain in the rump to do. I wish you all the best. :)

As for the fabric, it was a foam backed material. Got it at an upholstery shop. (Wasn't cheap.) As for the fabric I glued over the foam, that was a polyester/spandex blend. Very shiny, like satin and had some stretch to it.

• Like 1

ALMOST FINISHED!!!! :)

Have attached the knee plates with velcro. I though about using snaps but was concerned about misalignment....

IMG_20150725_211550_zpshrngutkr.jpg

Velcro has been sewn on all the rims of the gaskets and inside each piece. I decided to not do tabs of velcro. I may regret this later as it can be a minor challenge to get everything lined up but it feels very secure. No worries about blowing a tab. lol. Nothing pops out and the edges can't been seen when bending.

IMG_20150725_211642_zpsgiireuv1.jpgIMG_20150725_211618_zps7hwjimnt.jpg

(I used black velcro as I do intend to paint the inside of my armour black. Not the entire insides, just the areas that might be seen. E.g-along the rim of the thighs, near the wrists on the arms, inside the butt & cod piece, etc...)

Figured out the attachment of the detonator. I have glued snaps on white nylon webbing, that attaches to the hook. It will snap in on the inside. I will use velcro on the ab section to keep it in place. (I'll attach the velcro after everything is painted.)

IMG_20150725_211752_zps0scrzbtg.jpgIMG_20150725_162539_zpsibzpw3tg.jpg

• Like 1

Worked on the belt boxes... They are all glued and just got primed... All that is left is figuring out the final length to cut the rubber and then use the Chicago screws to attach.

Came up with an idea for the cloth pouches... (Also discovered my phone fits perfectly in the long one!!)

To keep the pouches looking full and solid, I cut out blocks of Styrofoam to the estimated dimensions of each. I then covered them in adhesive vinyl. (Sign vinyl.)

Turned out perfect!

IMG_20150725_162423_zpsswuqh4ls.jpgIMG_20150725_162404_zpsqzzpfwpq.jpg

Finally got the spats finished.... I do believe I was procrastinating...

As I mentioned, my plan was to follow Clint's idea of using snaps. Turned out great but more work than I expected.

Started with figuring out the snap placement and then dremeled out the holes. (I guess you could use the large indent to drill the holes but I figured my placement would ensure a nice flush fit?)

IMG_20150725_164116_zpste7qgq9v.jpg

The made little boxes to house the snaps.( Same size as the back of the area I dremeled out.) And then added the snaps.

IMG_20150725_165242_zpsjesph5mu.jpgIMG_20150725_170152_zpshnlny0j6.jpg

I then glued them on and added some PlasticWeld along the sides to ensure they held tight.

IMG_20150725_170652_zpsrd7lpvh1.jpg

I couldn't be sure that CA glue would hold the male end of the snap onto to the resin clip... I decided to use a modified, smaller snap plate with ABS instead. As the bottom of the snap sticks out a bit, I dremeled out a little indent on the clip, just so the plate would sit a little more flush. (Still have some sanding to do to clean up the plate.)

IMG_20150725_211432_zpsagjdjqz5.jpgIMG_20150725_170659_zpsrxga2kxp.jpg

I am quite happy with how it looks and holds. The clip sits nice and flush; looks very clean. :)

IMG_20150725_211509_zpshv6d4hcq.jpg

(Thank you Clint, great idea!)

And with that, my friends, this suit is basically assembled! :) All that is left is getting the length on the belt done, velcro on the back of the ab section, final sanding of the primer...and then it's time for paint. (I'm glad I waited to paint last; the armour is covered in fingerprints, pencil marks for placement, dust and marks from the Chicago screws and snaps.)

I will take full body pics of me in the suit tomorrow, before we start painting. :)

Edited by Barcoder
  • Like 2

This has been a great thread to follow, and reading that this is only your second build is of great comfort to me! Maybe it's not as bad as it first looked....

Glad you're enjoying it! I won't lie, there were some tough parts to this build but it wasn't as scary and horrible as I excepted. I even did this all by myself; no build crew to help. So yeah, it can be done. :)

Figured out the attachment of the detonator. I have glued snaps on white nylon webbing, that attaches to the hook. It will snap in on the inside. I will use velcro on the ab section to keep it in place. (I'll attach the velcro after everything is painted.)

IMG_20150725_211752_zps0scrzbtg.jpgIMG_20150725_162539_zpsibzpw3tg.jpg

I really like this. I'm going to do my TD the same way I think.

Don't forget to let us know if something doesn't work out.

I'm not too sure about the Spats. Do you thing the resin greeblie is strong enough for repeated  open and closing of the snap? 

Nice work by the way.

-Zaphod

Have to agree this is a great buil thread , thanks for taking the time to post such details on your build , this is going to be invaluable when I eventually get a kit, great job man.

Thanks! It was my pleasure to post details. Troopers helping Troopers, as they say. 

I really like this. I'm going to do my TD the same way I think.

Don't forget to let us know if something doesn't work out.

I'm not too sure about the Spats. Do you thing the resin greeblie is strong enough for repeated  open and closing of the snap? 

Nice work by the way.

-Zaphod

So far, the TD is working out great. The pressure from the back helps to keep it down. Once I get velcro on there, it will sit nicely.

as for the spats, time will tell if they will hold. That is a concern of mine as well. Hence the reason I chose to attach the male snap with a snap plate.Let's hope it holds. lol

PICTURE TIME!!!! (I forgot to wear my silly neck seal....)

IMG_20150726_104345_zps8qyuixsc.jpg

IMG_20150726_104252_zpsgiprhm7l.jpg

IMG_20150726_104358_zpstnciowrc.jpg

IMG_20150726_104417_zpsagn8seae.jpg

IMG_20150726_104312_zpslywkpwlb.jpg

(Yes, I am voguing... the song came on the radio and I just had to strike a pose to show the range of movement.)

IMG_20150726_104430_zpsd17p1fdp.jpg

Needless to say, I literally almost wet myself with excitement when I put the helmet on. It looked friggin' AWESOME!!!!!!

Now it's time for paint & tweaking/adjustments. (I have not done the holster yet as I am waiting for the hardware.)

• Like 2

Looks real nice Barcoder, so does it feel comfortable to wear now it's all together?

Honestly? Not really, at all. It's a pain to get suited up. (I need help. No way I can do it myself.) That being said, maybe it's just that I'm not used to it yet? I found my original TK super uncomfortable at first, now it feels great. 

Your build is amazing! I'm anxiously awaiting my kit to arrive so I can follow in your footsteps

Thanks! I hope it helps future First Order troopers! I relied on so many peoples build threads when I did my original TK, it's an honour to return the favour.

I look forward to seeing your build thread soon. ;)

• Like 1

Well, the painting nightmare has begun.... I'm not sure if I mentioned this or not but I HATE spray painting.... But I have spent enough money on this suit that going to an autobody shop just wasn't an option.... I can do this...

This is what happens when you spray paint in one area for too long or it runs down and pools along an edge.... it globs and then dries with tons of little pin holes. I can't wait to sand this stuff down... <sarcasm>

IMG_20150727_160243_zpsqembsjiy.jpgIMG_20150727_160452_zps9vtrlmkj.jpg

I have no idea why this happens.... but I HATE it. lol 

IMG_20150727_160249_zpsl1c7qdyi.jpg

I also ran into a problem when the paint left a stucco-like texture all over the entire butt plate. I had to sand the whole thing down and start again. Grrrr. I am not sure, but I wonder if I didn't shake the can enough? I tried the same can again, but shook it for a very long time. No more stucco... Hmmmm...

I have also discovered that even though the coat may look gorgeous and shiny like glass, it can sometimes dry with dull areas.... <insert curse word here>

IMG_20150727_160421_zpsfgue32v7.jpgIMG_20150727_160513_zpspbesaylo.jpg

IMG_20150727_160548_zpsp3fmotjr.jpg

Thankfully I have committed to doing two coats on the armour. Once this coat dries (48 hours), a light fine sanding and then on to coat two. Once that is done, I will paint the inside with flat black enamel. (With a brush, no spraying black paint for me!)