Barcoder's First Order TK build thread (TK-12175)

I have been sewing like crazy and the end is in site. These gaskets have been an adventure to say the least..... If I ever need new cloth gaskets again, I will buy them. I would happily pay someone else to make them...

If you don't have much experience sewing, do yourself a favour. Spend the money. lol

Ok, here's the elbow & thigh gaskets all ready to be sewn together. I had to redo the first set of elbows as they were too small. :( I gave myself extra length on all of them, just in case...

IMG_20150718_150017_zpsmp8j9tcf.jpg

Here is the final design/product for the shoulder gaskets. I am very happy with how it turned out....especially not working from a pattern. (Had to make my own & guess along the way...) As you can see, they are very different from the floor mat design. This is because they will attach to my harness. :)

IMG_20150718_143614_zpsvfvbzj6y.jpg

Here's the gasket inside out to show the Velcro sewn on... As much as I hate Velcro, I fear snaps may be too hard on the material. Also, would have been a pain to line them up...

IMG_20150718_143513_zpsl7q10ut7.jpg

Here is the finished harness. (This was a pain trying to line everything up by myself.) As you can see, I have sewn Velcro on to the shoulder straps for the gaskets...

IMG_20150718_142256_zpsnduxrdxu.jpg

And here is the harness with the gaskets in place...

IMG_20150718_143854_zps9lfetsf1.jpgIMG_20150718_144945_zpse0epesph.jpg

(The mannequin is much skinnier than I am. :(

My first attempt at the trying on the yoke with the gaskets!!! It was quite easy, even by myself. I also am happy to say that I was able to try on one of the biceps (just to test the placement) with almost zero effort. These gaskets are so light and flexible! YAY!

IMG_20150718_144652_zpsn5c95e6x.jpg

Edited by Barcoder
  • Like 1

...finally, some progress!!! I have started the internal strapping....

IMG_20150718_145300_zpskaq9xqks.jpgIMG_20150718_145337_zpszjcvit4m.jpg

IMG_20150718_145640_zpsrlnmat9o.jpgIMG_20150718_145524_zpsakybyriv.jpg

By having the snaps placed along the bottom of the harness and Ab section, I am able to snap them up myself. Not so much to close the Ab section however, I will need assistance with the top and middle snap...

As I mentioned, I am trying to get all the internal strapping and attach points figured out before I paint the armour. I have discovered marks, scuffs and and the like on the armour just from figuring out what I have already... I don't knwo how may times I've dropped the butt & cod piece. hahaha

I can imagine the hassle it would be to do it all after the gloss paint...

• Like 1

If anyone is wondering... Here is what my final template/pattern for my shoulder gaskets looked like, with the original rubber ones for reference.

(The yellow line was just seam allowance.)

IMG_20150719_162907-2_zpsmhj54c2b.jpg

This weekend has been very productive...

Started working on the belt & boxes.... Finally found some 1/4 Chicago screws.

IMG_20150720_173817_zps5srroaaz.jpgIMG_20150720_173809_zpsxcpyvn9t.jpg

IMG_20150720_172851_zpshsd2bsws.jpg

Snaps placed for the cod & butt plate & connecting elastic. As much as I didn't want to, I will have to connect them. The cod just doesn't look right...it doesn't sit flush. Which looks odd. 

IMG_20150720_173435_zps4vph6j3o.jpgIMG_20150720_173426_zpsrkkh3mtt.jpg

Snaps for the cod piece & belt. (Belt snaps are in silver.)

IMG_20150720_173504_zpsfvpklkqz.jpg

Thigh attachment point in place...

IMG_20150720_173252_zpsxvnupunz.jpg

Also started the shoulder bell strapping. (I have a feeling an elastic connector to the biceps will be needed?)

IMG_20150720_173001_zpsjbrwc437.jpg

FINALLY figure out the internal strapping for the yoke & chest. This was not fun....

I added the velcro to the sides to keep it closed.

IMG_20150720_173100_zps2fn0ov1k.jpg

Attachment point for the chest to the yoke. I also added a bit of velcro near the tips. They do not want to sit flush, so this helps. May figure out something else later...

IMG_20150720_173054_zps8e7uko7f.jpg

Here you can see the strap the chest piece snaps into. Took me 3 attempts to get the right placement underneath the wings. You can also see the black snaps for the shoulder bell attachment.

IMG_20150720_173159_zpsbwgqkd0s.jpgIMG_20150720_102950_zpsltptmyla.jpg

Here is my final harness with the thigh straps added. I originally was going to have strap that connect to the back of the thighs. Not sure it's actually needed.

Front...                                                                                                                      Back

IMG_20150720_173711_zpshidchvfm.jpgIMG_20150720_173733_zpssincdjdc.jpg

(The dual snap is a correction. Original location kept popping off.)

And this is the result of the weekend's work.....

IMG_20150720_151547_zps0hjhmsie.jpgIMG_20150720_151705_zpsxfxuifyr.jpg

(The detonator is not attached yet. Still figuring that out...)

Over all I am very pleased with the progress. It's been nice to actually wear some of the armour & see how it feels & looks... It's not really comfortable but not as horrible as I assumed it would be.... Once I have another person around, I will get pics of me actually in it!! :) (Partner is off camping.)

• Like 4

You're getting close dude! Awesome. Yeah, trying it on is very bitter sweet. With the original thick rubber gaskets, I immediately felt something along the lines of "this was a terrible mistake." After a lot of tweaking, new gaskets, etc I now wear it for 4-5 hours pretty regularly. That fiberglass helmet is freakin' heavy though so it's tiring on the forehead wearing it that long.

Nice work!

• Like 1

You're getting close dude! Awesome. Yeah, trying it on is very bitter sweet. With the original thick rubber gaskets, I immediately felt something along the lines of "this was a terrible mistake." After a lot of tweaking, new gaskets, etc I now wear it for 4-5 hours pretty regularly. That fiberglass helmet is freakin' heavy though so it's tiring on the forehead wearing it that long.

Nice work!

I know, so close!!! :) Can't wait for this <insert your favorite curse word here> to be done & painted!!! lol

When I tried on the back/yoke piece with my cloth gaskets for the first time (which is quite easy, even by myself) I thought "Holy crap, this would be almost impossible with the thick rubber ones!!!??"

Looking sweet Peter, loving the suspension system also.

Thanks! I am very happy with it. It's awesome to finally see some real progress. There is light at the end of the tunnel!

Still some tweaks left on the suspension harness but it feels very secure. Might adapt it to my ANH TK...

This build thread rules!

Thank you. :) I hope it helps others with their builds...or at least gives them a starting point. (Many times I felt quite lost & a tad overwhelmed.)  This has been quite the journey; like trying to do a puzzle with no image to follow... lol

LOTS of trial & error.

• Like 1

So....I discovered a design flaw in my harness/suspension system. I didn't take the actual weight of the forearm/bicep into account. When all attached to the harness, the weight pulled the should gaskets down... Kinda looked like a ribbed v-neck... Not acceptable but an easy fix. I just added a new strap on the front of the harness to compensate. 

IMG_20150722_181202_zpsio61nkof.jpg

Also added a connection on the back of the harness, close to the neck. Problem solved; no pulling of the gaskets now.... A connecting strap to the back of the gaskets was also added, to ensure they stay together...

IMG_20150722_183834_zpsvf9hkhzn.jpg

I think I have finally found the correct attachment points/length for the elbow and bicep connection. Took a bit of fiddling... I used velcro on all the gaskets. (Will post pics later...)

Despite the light fabric gaskets, arm mobility is quite reduced. This isn't due to the gaskets, the forearm and bicep like to butt up against each other when bending your arms... There is only so much adjusting you can do... if you bring the forearms down too much, it pinches your wrists.....if you bring the biceps up too far, they smash into the side of the chest piece...and your arms can't really rest normally at your sides. Sigh... #FirstOrderProblems

Here's what the whole upper torso looks on my mannequin. (Manny Quinn, as we call him. lol)

IMG_20150722_181103_zpskgrumff7.jpgIMG_20150722_181016_zpsl5xgwov6.jpg

As suspected, I will need a connecting elastic from the shoulder bell to the bicep. Nothing too tight, just something to help keep the alignment in case I decide to start disco dancing....

• Like 1

Looks good!

Yeah, I know what you mean about the arm movement. The forearms are just too long. I over rotate mine a touch to help, but it's still not very comfortable.

Yes, I did do that as well. It does help. :)

Looks Great! Thanks for the insight on the First order kits.. I think it just confirmed what i though. I am not skilled enough to build one of these yet. hehe Lets see how badly i screw up my MTK kit when it gets here

Looks Great! Thanks for the insight on the First order kits.. I think it just confirmed what i though. I am not skilled enough to build one of these yet. hehe Lets see how badly i screw up my MTK kit when it gets here

Thanks, and you're welcome for the insight. :) (Truth be told, this is only my second time building. My first was an ANH stunt TK, back in Jan. of 2013. So really, I don't have a lot of experience either.)

Thanks, and you're welcome for the insight. :) (Truth be told, this is only my second time building. My first was an ANH stunt TK, back in Jan. of 2013. So really, I don't have a lot of experience either.)

Whhhaaaaaaaaat? This is only your second build? Dude you're an animal, oh and a natural.  :laugh1:

Edited by ukswrath

As i wrote before, it s really fun to read your WiP.  Your build is so awesome . You a very talented. Great, when i will buy me a FO TK, i will also me the gaskets like you did.

So glad you're enjoying it; it has been fun to write as well. Thanks for the compliments; much appreciated! I hope to see your first order build thread someday. ;)

And yes, cloth gaskets are the way to go.

Yep. Second build ever. :) Thank you very much for the compliment!!!

Hey on a positive note from my build camp, finally got back to the build though it's still only cutting trim  :blink:

• Like 1

It is very possible that I missed it somewhere in all of the information, but what is the material that you used for your gaskets?

I've been known to curse out a Singer from time to time, so the thought of sewing them myself isn't all that intimidating, and we've got several kits locally in various stages of build. Having the ability to replicate your gaskets might be a crucial piece to getting our FO TKs up to speed.

Thanks for all of the info and great details!

• Like 1