Barcoder's First Order TK build thread (TK-12175)

You're making great progress!

One suggestion would be to sand a lot more of that primer off. All those wide areas will want to crack on you as it bends. Ideally, you just have a small thin line, maybe 1/8-1/4 inches in width, with a heavy backing strip behind it that extends well beyond the reach of the bondo. Just a suggestion. ;)

That was my concern as well. I took some cues from your build tread and tried to reinforce the "problem" areas. As you can see I do have a larger than suggested backing strips, all inside edges and seams were coated with Plastic Bonder, and has the extra support of the welding putty. I have put both forearms through numerous & vigorous "bending" tests, just to make sure there will be no cracking. (Plus, the bondo isn't actually that thick).

Thank you for keeping an eye on me. :duim:

Now that all the pieces have been primed, I have been thinking about the internal strapping system I will use. I would like to get this sorted out and set up before I paint the armour. I would rather not chance scuffing or dropping freshly painted armour as I try to glue on snaps & stuff...

Based on what I have seen from other suits, this is my current plan of attack.... (Thank you to Bender for being the model....hahahaha)
Untitled-1_zpscjbtoipo.jpg
Blue-Snap plate.  Black-Elastic or nylon strap.  Red-Velcro.  Green-Nylon strap with buckle.

Questions I have...

Is a strap from the cod to the butt plate necessary?

Has anyone else attached/suspended the thighs from the AB section, in place of a separate belt?

As I have no idea if this will be sufficient, I welcome advice from the Elders. ;)

I personally don't have a strap from the cod to butt plate and it's worked fine. ;)

I like having a separate "garter" type belt for the thighs because of the order of putting the legs together first. It would be difficult to keep the thighs up while finishing the legs and it would be difficult to do the legs if you already have the ab piece on. Just my thoughts on it.

Cool to see things coming together!

My first though was to build a one piece body suspension from the shoulders down to the waist. From there connecting via nylon webbing to every section that needs support. Picture a back support brace with tentacles. 

Any thoughts / feedback on this idea? 

Edited by ukswrath

My first though was to build a one piece body suspension from the shoulders down to the waist. From there connecting via nylon webbing to every section that needs support. Picture a back support brace with tentacles. 

I'm using a back support brace as base of my Sandtrooper straping. It works great in some ways but it puts some extra load on the shoulders which is not distributed very well. I won't do that again for my TFA trooper.

I personally don't have a strap from the cod to butt plate and it's worked fine. ;)

I like having a separate "garter" type belt for the thighs because of the order of putting the legs together first. It would be difficult to keep the thighs up while finishing the legs and it would be difficult to do the legs if you already have the ab piece on. Just my thoughts on it.

Cool to see things coming together!

I didn't think a strap for the cod/butt was needed.... It seems like the belt would hold everything tight.

I also agree with a separate belt garter system...I just find the belt keeps slipping down. Maybe suspenders could fix that?

I am liking this idea. It would be easy to suspend the thighs without the worry of them sliding down. You could also anchor the Ab section to it.... Hmmm, I might have to give this some more thought....

I did a garter system with suspenders to hold up my thighs on my clone trooper. My ab assembly, cod, and butt/backplate snaps and velcroes to the suspenders. I could walk through a hurricane in my armour, it's rock solid.

I'll be doing an identical setup for my TFA when I start building it.

I am liking this idea. It would be easy to suspend the thighs without the worry of them sliding down. You could also anchor the Ab section to it.... Hmmm, I might have to give this some more thought....

I'm drawing mine up right now but without completed armor to hook up to it's just a design. I'd be interested to see what you come up with. 

I did a garter system with suspenders to hold up my thighs on my clone trooper. My ab assembly, cod, and butt/backplate snaps and velcroes to the suspenders. I could walk through a hurricane in my armour, it's rock solid.

I'll be doing an identical setup for my TFA when I start building it.

You have sketch or picture of it?

• Like 1

I'm using a back support brace as base of my Sandtrooper straping. It works great in some ways but it puts some extra load on the shoulders which is not distributed very well. I won't do that again for my TFA trooper.

Yea but aren't you lugging around a backpack also? I don't know about you but I can't take my TD pack for more than a couple hours anyway, let alone backpack and armor suspension system.

So, clearly I am crazy....and don't have enough to do. lol. I have decided to try my hand at sewing my own gaskets. I just really don't even want to bother with the floor mats & I do know my way around a sewing machine. Might as well try to save a few bucks...

Started with making some piping out of cord & black broad cloth. (I noticed the screen used suits on display at Celebration didn't have really black/shiny gaskets. Thought I'd go with a fabric without a sheen. Plus, it's cheap.) *My mistake, the material should be shiny/have a sheen to it. Not sure what pic I was referring to. lol

IMG_20150706_204215_zpshihi57tf.jpgIMG_20150706_204158_zpsbxjwho7e.jpg

I measure out a piece of upholstery vinyl the same size of the floor mat gaskets. (As the piping is not very stiff, I wanted a backing that would hold up like the rubber gaskets.) I left enough extra material to make the Velcro tabs. I then sewed the piping on, one by one.

IMG_20150706_201814_zpsvycrijje.jpg

Then I sewed it together, with a slight angle to accommodate the opening of the bicep and forearm.

IMG_20150706_204143_zpsc5uxjrk6.jpg

Here is the end result. :) It even bends not bad.... (Once I have them all complete, I will cut out the tabs.)

IMG_20150706_203830_zpsirpyuo4b.jpgIMG_20150706_204431_zpsvgzi09pn.jpg

Here is what it looks like with a test-fitting on the arms.

IMG_20150706_203619_zpsiz9zqifk.jpgIMG_20150706_203703_zpswneqxh89.jpg

IMG_20150706_203642_zpssz61ek5t.jpg

From start to finish, this one arm took me under 2 hours. It feels pretty good on and still bends easily.

That being said, I am not sure about the upholstery vinyl; I fear it may too hot..and might feel too bulky once I have them all on me. (I may experiment with a thinner vinyl or thicker fabric.)

Edited by Barcoder

Wow, you're ambitious! I wouldn't even attempt it. ;)

One thing you should check is the shoulder and elbow gaskets both in place. It does get pretty bulky in there and I had a hard time even fitting my arm in without both of them carefully placed without overlapping at all.

• Like 1

So, clearly I am crazy....and don't have enough to do. lol. I have decided to try my hand at sewing my own gaskets. I just really don't even want to bother with the floor mats & I do know my way around a sewing machine. Might as well try to save a few bucks...

Started with making some piping out of cord & black broad cloth. (I noticed the screen used suits on display at Celebration didn't have really black/shiny gaskets. Thought I'd go with a fabric without a sheen. Plus, it's cheap.)

IMG_20150706_204215_zpshihi57tf.jpgIMG_20150706_204158_zpsbxjwho7e.jpg

I measure out a piece of upholstery vinyl the same size of the floor mat gaskets. (As the piping is not very stiff, I wanted a backing that would hold up like the rubber gaskets.) I left enough extra material to make the Velcro tabs. I then sewed the piping on, one by one.

IMG_20150706_201814_zpsvycrijje.jpg

Then I sewed it together, with a slight angle to accommodate the opening of the bicep and forearm.

IMG_20150706_204143_zpsc5uxjrk6.jpg

Here is the end result. :) It even bends not bad.... (Once I have them all complete, I will cut out the tabs.)

IMG_20150706_203830_zpsirpyuo4b.jpgIMG_20150706_204431_zpsvgzi09pn.jpg

Here is what it looks like with a test-fitting on the arms.

IMG_20150706_203619_zpsiz9zqifk.jpgIMG_20150706_203703_zpswneqxh89.jpg

IMG_20150706_203642_zpssz61ek5t.jpg

From start to finish, this one arm took me under 2 hours. It feels pretty good on and still bends easily.

That being said, I am not sure about the upholstery vinyl; I fear it may too hot..and might feel too bulky once I have them all on me. (I may experiment with a thinner vinyl or thicker fabric.)

Crazy ingenious, loving it. PM sent

• Like 2

...and the craziness continues.... Version 2.0 of the gasket sewing experiment...

Instead of the vinyl, I used a thicker cotton as a base for the piping. For the piping, I found a thicker nylon cord that would hold the round shape better than the weld cotton cord. For the piping itself I found some polyester stretch fabric....with lots of sheen. (Quite shiny!) It only has a bit of stretch, nothing that was difficult to sew.

Here is the end result with & without the camera flash...

IMG_20150707_220629_zpscbs1dqgc.jpgIMG_20150707_220659_zpsbbsqpppe.jpg

...and here is what it looks like test-fitted with the arms.

IMG_20150707_220411_zpsqtmfh1yq.jpgIMG_20150707_220408_zpsfzue5qro.jpg

I think I am happy with this combination. A bit more tweaking & I will start on making the actual ones I'll use. :) (This tester turned out a bit too snug...not usable.)

• Like 1

My God. Sewing fabric gaskets suck.... I don't know what I was thinking....

Not much progress to report... The tester versions took up a lot of time but I have finally moved on to the final products.

Here is one of the elbow gaskets completed. The flex is pretty good. Still unsure if I will be attaching these with velcro or snaps on elastic. I am thinking the elastic may stop any accidental popping out of the gaskets? I guess I might find out...

IMG_20150710_221746_zpsze1dippz.jpgIMG_20150710_223427_zpsx2ssjmbe.jpg

IMG_20150710_223304_zpswedmcmwu.jpgIMG_20150710_223224_zps7hiljv8z.jpg

I have also started work on one of the shoulder gaskets... The ribbed section is done. These are a nightmare...

IMG_20150710_221907_zpsz1laz2io.jpgIMG_20150710_221830_zpsz7jxmomv.jpg

I had originally used fabric/welt cord for the piping. However, I discovered that once sewn together the piping didn't keep it's shape. It looked flat, as compared to the rubber ribbing. I switched to a nylon cord. (Basically rope, but a bit softer.) The nylon totally keeps the "ribbed" look, even when bent. ..but it is MUCH more difficult to sew together. I have snapped a needle and bent one already....

Also, it is extremely hard to keep a perfect straight line while sewing the piping on. As the piping is not attached to each other, it will still move slightly after it is sewn on.

These had better be worth it.... lol

Side note - I didn't bother with the vertical ribbed section down the middle. As this is covered by the shoulder bell, I didn't see the point?

Edited by Barcoder
  • Like 2

Real life has gotten in the way of progress that last few days...

Started work on the belt boxes. Holes are drilled and side supports of the front 2 boxes glued in. (Thanks to Bender for the idea.)

I haven't been able to track down the correct size Chicago screws for the boxes... Once I get those, I'll finish them off.

IMG_20150712_163453_zps6lc4c7kl.jpg

The armour, all ready for a final sanding and then time for paint. To be honest, the painting scares me a bit. I really don't want to frak it up....

Despite the fear, I tried painting the shoulder bells, hand & knee plates. Turned out not too bad. I assume 2 coats are needed whit a fine sanding between coats?

IMG_20150712_162949_zpspjbazhzm.jpg

Finally finished the friggin' elbow gaskets. (I am taking a break before I start the knees. I honestly need a break from sewing piping....)

IMG_20150712_163200_zps52en3pkx.jpg

I will be going with elastic and snaps for attaching the gaskets. It will give them enough stretch to move with me.

As I mentioned, the shoulder gaskets are a nightmare....and the nightmare continues....

I finally finished the piping on both and sewed them together. Given how much piping is required I fear they will not be all that much more flexible than the floor mats.... :( If I had to do it all over again, I would use the welt cord for the piping. Even though it wouldn't hold the rib shape, it would be waaaaaay more flexible.

IMG_20150712_163215_zpsepnaf3ej.jpg

Here is the "in progress" pic of my idea for the shoulder gaskets. My plan is to try and incorporate the shoulder gaskets into the harness system I will be using. (Still tinkering with the design.)

IMG_20150712_163334_zpsqlgw7oyr.jpg

And here is my harness "in progress". The shoulder gaskets will snap onto the suspender, back and front. I will also use the harness to attach the thighs & Ab section. Once I start trying those pieces on, I will discover the best attaching position.

IMG_20150712_163132_zpstey0twp5.jpg

As I said, I have taken a break from the gaskets…they burnt me out. Time to move on to other stuff…
I have started making nylon webbing & ABS snap plates to start the strapping system. I will be using E6000 for the interior strapping…..just in case I mess up or have to change things down the road. E6000 is much easier to remove than CA glue. Lol
The cod section snaps are in place & gluing as I type. Once the cod is attached, I will then be able to determine the length of strapping needed for the thighs, as well as the right placement for the Ab section. It was very hard to determine that without the cod snapped into place….

The last few days have been a bit frustrating. The complexity & progress of the build was stressing me out. It can be quite challenging when you don’t have years of threads, tutorials, and instructions to lean on when you are feeling a bit overwhelmed or unsure…
I am sure I will feel better once I am able to try the armour on…

So, I have switched gears on sewing my own gaskets. My version was too labour/time intensive....and wasn't as flexible as I originally hoped it would be. Too much fabric, too much time sewing piping, etc...  I am now trying a different technique. Much better.

IMG_20150715_195223_zpsvpz9uivk.jpg IMG_20150715_195300_zpssqzgngod.jpg

Edited by Barcoder
  • Like 1

Yeah, that looks better! Nice work!

Agreed! Sew much better. lol

How did your sew those ribs so straight? That's awesome.

What material did you use exactly?

As long as you get the first rib sewed on straight, I just followed the line. It does help that the sewing machine feeds the material through but it takes a bit of concentration.

Edited by Barcoder