Barcoder's First Order TK build thread (TK-12175)

It's high time I start documenting my build, now that I have officially begun work on this long, scary & exciting journey...

(Stay tuned for progress pics)

Edited by Barcoder
  • Like 2

It's high time I start documenting my build, now that I have officially begun work on this long, scary & exciting journey...

(Stay tuned for progress pics)

Your cramping my style on the name there Peter.... lol, j/k.  :smiley-sw013:  Good luck on this build mate. I'll be tuned in for sure.  :jc_doublethumbup:

• Like 3

Your cramping my style on the name there Peter.... lol, j/k. :smiley-sw013: Good luck on this build mate. I'll be tuned in for sure. :jc_doublethumbup:

Ah Ha! So YOU are the reason I couldn't use "Barcode"!!!! LOL :)

Edited by Barcoder
  • Like 1

I'm also waiting for my kit to arrive next month. Post lots of pics ease. The Bravo group will be following your build with great interest. Good luck!

-Pete

• Like 3

Thanks for the words of encouragement; I have a feeling they will be needed.

We shall start with the obligatory "big brown box" picture (it came in 3 boxes, but am still waiting on box 3) 

0fab986d-f488-4a1d-b70d-0c1fdc96d86e_zps

Edited by Barcoder

Trimming is almost finished. (thankfully I had TONS of help on that.) I can offer no advise on trimming as I hardly did any. lol

The chest.

IMG_20150612_202611_zpsn0z8jhlp.jpg

The back sections,

IMG_20150612_202539_zpsouddoxs1.jpg

The ab section with all the little boxes!

IMG_20150612_202759_zpshddmieml.jpg

The neck seal, belt & buckle & the soft pouch for the belt

IMG_20150614_133035_zpsoegouzw9.jpg

The belt boxes.

IMG_20150612_202955_zpsyhsm6r4e.jpg

The forearms,

IMG_20150612_203100_zpslbmj3bvj.jpg

The shoulder bells.

IMG_20150612_203137_zps7uge7ejm.jpg

The shins.

IMG_20150612_203221_zpsn4lse96x.jpg

The biceps.

IMG_20150612_203301_zpsmmdckskr.jpg

(**Note-the parts are not in order. I just arranged them for the pics.**)

Edited by Barcoder

I did a rough fit of the TD, just to get a feel for it...

IMG_20150613_203100_zps0as7qrvh.jpg

...it almost ended with me in tears. lol. I will be leaving this to the last, after I have gotten used to/experience working with PlasticWeld. I have never used it before and am not rushing it.

• Like 1

As it has been a while since I've worked with ABS, I chose to start work on the smaller pieces. (Build up the confidence a bit, as this kit is a little intimidating.) I will admit, I kinda missed the scent of sanded plastic! :)

I trimmed and fitted the spats. I will follow in Randall's footsteps and try using snaps on the clips, instead of velcro.

IMG_20150611_2029062_zpslehkyqmh.jpg

IMG_20150611_2030462_zpsmenf1h3q.jpg

Edited by Barcoder

Moving on to the Ab boxes... (or as I was calling them, the seven little "ears".) The process reminded me of fiddling with my TK ears. Not nearly as frustrating, just tedious.

As I will not be doing the edges seamless, I wanted them to sit as flush as possible.

IMG_20150612_230924_zpsj5pcodvm.jpg

IMG_20150613_203140_zpsushx212e.jpg

Once they are glued, they will sit perfectly.

(Side note-I got a little over-confidant with my trimming skills and took a gouge out of the side of box. Just had to sand the whole thing down again; no harm done. Careful, the sides can be a little thin...)

Wow, those spats look much better than ours did! I wonder if they improved those parts. It was about impossible to get the seam to line up perfectly while keeping the top edge flush. Looks great!

As it has been a while since I've worked with ABS, I chose to start work on the smaller pieces. (Build up the confidence a bit, as this kit is a little intimidating.) I will admit, I kinda missed the scent of sanded plastic! :)

I trimmed and fitted the spats. I will follow in Randall's footsteps and try using snaps on the clips, instead of velcro.

IMG_20150611_2029062_zpslehkyqmh.jpg

IMG_20150611_2030462_zpsmenf1h3q.jpg

Wow, those spats look much better than ours did! I wonder if they improved those parts. It was about impossible to get the seam to line up perfectly while keeping the top edge flush. Looks great!

Thanks Clint!! :) I did some fiddling/sanding to get them to do what I wanted. (No improved parts-Alpha)

My first experience with PlasticWeld went very well! It hardly smelled at all and wasn`t too bad to work with. (Using J-B Weld plastic bonder.)

Spats are glued and sanded.

IMG_20150615_194902_zpstyihnqbu.jpg

Glued the ``easy`` side of the biceps.

IMG_20150615_194947_zpsiib5vsjp.jpg

Worked on sanding & fitting the thighs and shins.

IMG_20150614_205348_zpsmzp3fmnr.jpg

IMG_20150614_204213_zpsftllidhc.jpg

IMG_20150615_191012_zps1ifxc6oj.jpg

I sanded down the return edges on the insides. This really helped the parts to lay flatter & closer to the seam. (Which will come in handy when I have to do the seamless parts.)

IMG_20150614_2039552_zpss9hbjme4.jpg

(Left side has been sanded down.)

Also took a stab at sanding & fitting the box on the thigh.

IMG_20150614_2105482_zps1m8iasj1.jpg

Edited by Barcoder

Just working on the biceps. (In hindsight, I should have glued the butt joint first, instead of the "easy" tab side.) This isn't going to be fun...
Notched backing strips
IMG_20150616_205727_zpspt7vlq4h.jpg

Got a nice, snug fit.
IMG_20150616_205757_zpsbrvdhmuu.jpg

All the little clamps in row, doing their thing...
IMG_20150616_210927_zpshxfvzezp.jpg

I attempted to glue the biceps together last night and experienced my first round of frustration.

I will admit that this kit can be a tad overwhelming; definitely felt it last night.

I am sure there's more to come! Chin up, as they say!  :)

I will admit that this kit can be a tad overwhelming; definitely felt it last night.

I am sure there's more to come! Chin up, as they say!  :)

Yes, indeed! You'll get through it though. As for your comment about the detonator, that's exactly how we felt. I didn't do the JB Weld on that stuff because it's much harder to sand and the det has so many little corners to smooth out. I think applying bondo in all the cracks with a finger to keep the excess to a minimum would work great on that because it doesn't undergo the torque of the rest of the suit and shouldn't have any issues with cracking. I can't imagine trying to sand jb weld in all those little crevices and have it come out looking smooth. ;)

• Like 1