Arienh's TD build

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers for that Barcode. I don't think Arienh had given any thought to that as yet.

**Deep breath**

OK, this will probably become a few posts in a row (due to all the pics). I do apologise, but at the same time, they have to be posted, this is a build thread after all. ;)

A quick rewind before I get into the crux of the next few posts...

Once the painting on the bucket had been done, the last thing to do was the outlining. Well that is now done as well...

TD89-BucketOutliningDone01_zpsvwpdeje1.j

TD90-BucketOutliningDone02_zps6tikriuu.j

TD91-BucketOutliningDone03_zps7zqfer5d.j

TD92-BucketOutliningDone04_zpsprwieqf2.j

With that done, Arienh now has a quite nice looking Stunt TK bucket. Pity that isn't what it will end up staying as.

Friday just passed saw a major step in the TD build process (major for us anyway). This is the beginning of the build end. We can almost see the light at the end of the tunnel. Yay!!

The Weathering has begun. We have researched this and read a lot and watched many videos. In the end we decided to use Pandatroopers technique (as we did on our Gonk). Watching the video's and 'watching' the videos are two different things, especially when it comes to me, apparently. Anyway... The video lists Burnt Umber, an earth tone (We went with Burnt Sienna) and a light gray (which in the video looks very yellow), so we went with yellow Oxide.

Well... Guess what... The Burnt Umber we used was.... A LOT darker than the Umber in the video... This was realised soon after we started... but we stuck with it and hoped it would make a good shading colour to the 2nd weathering coat.

Here is what happened with the Burnt Umber...

Weathering Begins!! The Burnt Umber looked very dark, but on the video it was stated that it would lighten as it dried:
TD93-WeatheringHasBegun_zps6jtps4ec.jpg

We weren't too sure, but hey we're n00bs, who are we to argue with someone who paints armours on commision?:
TD94-FirstWeatheringCoatBurntUmber_zpssr

We kept going with the Burnt Umber as our first Weathering coat. The darkenss was a little disturbing... but it became more disturbing as it dried, I swear it turned BLACK!!

BURNT UMBER COAT:
Arms:
TD95-FirstWeatheringCoatDarkerThanExpect

Abs:
TD96-FirstWeatheringCoatDarkerThanExpect

Chest, Abs and Cod:
TD98-FirstWeatheringCoatDarkerThanExpect

Back armour parts:
TD99-FirstWeatheringCoatDarkerThanExpect

Thighs:
TD100-FirstWeatheringCoatDarkerThanExpec

TD101-FirstWeatheringCoatDarkerThanExpec

Bucket:
TD102-FirstWeatheringCoatDarkerThanExpec

TD103-FirstWeatheringCoatDarkerThanExpec

TD104-FirstWeatheringCoatDarkerThanExpec

Bucket after excess was removed:
TD105-FirstWeatheringCoatDarkerThanExpec

TD106-FirstWeatheringCoatDarkerThanExpec

Boots, Pauldron, etc:
TD107-FirstWeatheringCoatDarkerThanExpec

At this point we figured we had gone beyond saving anything... but we figured we would stick with it and see how we go. See if we can salvage anything from this...

**Fingers crossed**

This is what we were planning our salvage attempts on. 1 part Burnt Sienna to 2 parts Yellow Oxide mix (Read 1 tube of Sienna to 2 tubes of Oxide):
TD108-SecondWeatheringCoatColour_zps63zy

Let the salvage operation begin!:
TD109-SecondWeatheringCoatBegins_zpskfor

Straight away, our heart rates lowered and we both had smiles on our faces. I think we will be fine (at least I hope so) ;) .

Second Coat of Weathering...

Boots:
TD110-SecondWeatheringCoatBoots01_zpsom4

TD111-SecondWeatheringCoatBoots02_zpstos

Hand Guards:
TD112-SecondWeatheringCoatHandGuards_zps

Belt Ammo Pouches:
TD113-SecondWeatheringCoatBeltAmmoPouche

Belt Pouch:
TD114-SecondWeatheringCoatBeltPouch01_zp

TD115-SecondWeatheringCoatBeltPouch02_zp

Pauldron (which has since been re-touched):
TD116-SecondWeatheringCoatPauldron_zpsfr

Canvas belt (was wet at time of pic - looks much better dry):
TD117-SecondWeatheringCoatCanvasBelt_zps

Shins. Arienh and I noticed 2 areas we weren't happy with. There's 5 pics all up. Problem areas are fixed in the 5th pic:
TD118-SecondWeatheringCoatShins01_zpspay

TD119-SecondWeatheringCoatShins02_zps7dq

TD120-SecondWeatheringCoatShins03_zpsfgw

TD121-SecondWeatheringCoatShins04_zpsozx

Problem areas fixed:
TD122-SecondWeatheringCoatShins05_zpsdg2

Thighs. Apologies for the shakiness of the last pic:
TD123-SecondWeatheringCoatFirstThigh01_z

TD124-SecondWeatheringCoatFirstThigh02_z
At this point, I asked Baytrooper for his thoughts, and he noticed something and pointed it out to us. thanks to him, there is no longer a very pronounced straight line of weathering on the back of this thigh:
TD125-SecondWeatheringCoatFirstThigh03_z

TD126-SecondWeatheringCoatSecondThigh_zp

TD127-SecondWeatheringCoatSecondThighs01

TD128-SecondWeatheringCoatSecondThighs02

At this point, our son surprised us with dinner. Mmmm Prawn Marsala. Better not get these mixed up, could end up being more than a little interesting. LOL:
TD129-WhichIsWhich_zps8tob2wno.jpg

After dinner, we got the arms started:
TD130-SecondWeatheringCoatSecondStarting

Unfortunately, we got no progress shots of the arm sections as they went by rather quickly and easily. By this time, Arienh was tired and had real life things to do, so we stopped for the night. After cleanup, I took a couple of quick pics of the days work...

TD131-SecondWeatheringCoatSecondADaysWor

TD132-SecondWeatheringCoatSecondADaysWor

TD133-SecondWeatheringCoatSecondADaysWor

TD134-SecondWeatheringCoatSecondADaysWor

TD135-SecondWeatheringCoatSecondADaysWor

So... we have the body armour sections and bucket left to do. Arienh goes back to work tomorrow, so the plan is to try and get a single piece of armour done each day before her shifts, and then hit what's left on her next days off. We'll see how that goes however. ;)

Please, please... Let us know your thoughts, tear strips of us if something is wrong, throw ideas at us... whatever. It all helps.

I asked Arienh before I dropped her at work, if she would mind if I attempted to weather part of the remaining armour pieces without her watching over me (her armour, her final detailing - read above statement). She 'gave me permission' to paint the Butt and Kidney plates. She probably figured I couldn't possibly stuff them up. LOL. And anyway, the canvas belt would wear off anything I did to the Kidney plate.

I just hope she's happy with what I ended up with:

TD136-SecondWeatheringCoatSecondButtAndK

TD137-SecondWeatheringCoatSecondButtAndK

TD138-SecondWeatheringCoatSecondButtAndK

Looking dirty guys, great job so far. Hoping you can make it down to Brisvegas for Comicon so we can see it in the flesh.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Firstly, Thank you for all the kind words and help/feedback.

So much more has been done on this armour since my last post (stupid internet hosting problems)...

I'll try to get everything posted up...

The last 'visual' part for Arienh's TD arrived today. More work for me, to try and have it ready by 'approval pic day'... But I'll see how I go. I've never worked with Resin before, so any help at all will be immensely appreciated.

Another item, another new set of skills I'm going to have to learn:
TD139-WhiteBoxArrives_zpsl5idftqd.jpg

I might start doing some cleaning up of the parts later tonight, snipping here, slicing there, but nothing too major. I'll post pics of the contents a little later this evening. I got me some armour painting to do first.

We are having a great time doing this TD. We just hope we are doing good enough is all.

With that being said, I got the rest of the armour parts weathered tonight. As long as Arienh is happy with them, then all she will need to do is her Bucket (I'm ot doing that... way too important). With the Bucket done, her TD will be COMPLETED!! (Apart from sound, and gun). I'll find out if I'm her hero or villain at 11pm tonight.

Right through this weathering we have tried to go with the idea of grading the dirt level. Dirtiest at ground level up to cleanest at bucket, but trying to keep certain areas dirty in a realistic way (around Abs details and especially inside the O I I section of the backplate).

Hopefully these look 'right'.

Backplate with other rear armour pieces:
TD140-BackplateDonePendingOK01_zps8aphg3

TD141-BackplateDonePendingOK02_zpsfd00l5

TD142-BackplateDonePendingOK03_zpsly4d0a

TD143-BackplateDonePendingOK04_zpsgt4nbd

Chest and Abs sections:
TD144-ChestAndAbsDonePendingOK01_zpspwzd

TD145-ChestAndAbsDonePendingOK02_zps6mdx

TD146-ChestAndAbsDonePendingOK03_zpsoavx

Contents of the White Box. 1x DLT-19 Kit:
TD147-DLT19KitPrePrep_zpsutvtepom.jpg

This scares the Bantha out of me... I have no idea what I'm doing with this big chunk of resin. Of course, FISD and MEPD are both down atm, sigh. Meh... how hard can it be?
I have begun work on the DLT. **** that thing is/was sticky. 3 baths later and most of it is gone. I've been assured that after sanding etc and handling 99.9% of the stickyness will go. Here's hoping.

Todays jobs consist of sanding back where the barrel meets the stock, and then lots of drilling. I'm extremely worried about this as I can't drill straight to save myself, and I don't have 'tools' to help with such (Drill press). Also, all the sanding is going to have to be hand sanding, I don't have access to a belt sander (which would help immensely with sanding down the stock.barrel joining area). Ah well,,, many hours of sanding ahead, and scary drilling I guess. LOL

Away from the gun, and the reason for this post. After some expert help a few things have been redone slightly. The Thighs and shins were looking 'linear' as far as the weathering was concerned, so I have added some more weathering (hopefully in a natural looking way) to try and break up the 'up and down' look of the leg sections.

Thighs and Shins Redo:
TD148-ThighAndShinRedo01_zpsllwr6t0t.jpg

TD149-ThighAndShinRedo02_zpshdmwddzu.jpg

And, Arienh finished the weathering on the bucket today, so the outfit is effectively COMPLETE!!!! We have 2 or 3 minor things to do and later today I'll get some pics of her armoured up and we'll see how it all looks.

Bucket from TK to TD:
TD151-BucketReadyForSealing01_zpsrg0akqe

TD152-BucketReadyForSealing02_zps3ku4nkg

TD153-BucketReadyForSealing03_zpsqzmindz

TD154-BucketReadyForSealing04_zpscvxwqfv

So, things left to do...

Seal everything with 'weather proof' (yeah right) hairspray.
Remove paper from over eyes.
Add mesh and mics to bucket.
A couple of 'behind the scene' fixes (Shins and boot tongues, a little padding here and there, that sorta stuff).
Continue work on DLT.

**take some suited up pics (not approval pics) to see how it all looks together.**

I wasn't able to get to the DLT today as a certain TD costume and costumer took up all my time. But... I believe (minus voice and weapon) that the build is... *drumroll*... COMPLETE!!!!

Here are some pics we quickly snapped late this afternoon. No they aren't meant to be all artsy... we just lucked out and captured a few pics in the last rays of the daylight (nice orangey hew to some pics).

So, are we? Are completed? (fingers crossed) wink.gif .

One happy little costumer:

TD155-CompletedTestRun01_zps0t6xtcq1.jpg

Sandy test pics:

TD156-CompletedTestRun02_zpsuarux75y.jpg

TD157-CompletedTestRun03_zpsz3tqk3or.jpg

TD158-CompletedTestRun04_zps0we5q1hy.jpg

TD159-CompletedTestRun05_zps14sqglse.jpg

Showing movement position of the sniper plate (kinda):

TD160-CompletedTestRun06_zpsnere4yqg.jpg

The boots may look 'funny', but this pic shows the boot creased, which shows the weathering is in fact in the deep parts of the creases:

TD161-CompletedTestRun07_zpsc7vmbl1s.jpg

The following are meant to be head shots...

The Sandtrooper's Thousand Parsec Stare (LOL):

TD162-CompletedTestRun08_zpsxh9znhui.jpg

TD163-CompletedTestRun09_zpshpq7eifp.jpg

Why so sad?:

TD164-CompletedTestRun10_zpsewi3trhi.jpg

Not sure if happy or angry:

TD165-CompletedTestRun11_zpshbx5v80v.jpg

So there we go. Everything done and sealed. Ready for approval pics. I just want to get this DLT done in time now. Depending on feedback, Approval pics will be getting organised on the 5th and/or 6th of Sept.

Ha... You all thought this thread was done and would disappear into the Redbacks ether... Well, not yet. Sorry. wink.gif

Managed to get some work done on Arienh's DLT-19 today.

Have done some minor trimming and cleaning up (still lots to do), but went ahead and decided to try and not stuff up the drilling of the barrel holes on the muzzle flash and stock. Also drilled out the bolt area to hold it all together and purchased (and cut to size) a Nut'n'bolt.

Still a little sticky to the touch, but nothing compared to the other day. Pardon the mess on the table, we had just brought everything inside and lost the days light when these pics were taken:

TD166-DLTBuilt01_zps2rmqia3d.jpg

Cut away the resin nut head and bolt and drilled it out and put in a real one to hold the gun together:

TD167-DLTBuilt02_zpszoqbesna.jpg

TD168-DLTBuilt03_zpsyjtqcjgi.jpg

Look! I got all my drilling 'straight', and the gun lines up and actually looks straight from end to the other. I'm quite happy with myself at this point (not to mention incredibly surprised):

TD169-DLTBuilt04_zpsoxxpwwzg.jpg

Next step... drill, drill, drill... any and all places there are holes.

Hey everyone;

Just a quick post this time.

DLT-19 just completed. The paint is extremely soft atm. Hopefully the time before we leave tomorrow for Brissy + the drive down and the time between tomorrow and Saturday, will give the paint and clear coats a chance to cure.

Not a great overall job. But I thinks it's good enough to troop with:

TD170-DLTBuild05_zpssl1duuin.jpg

That's it. 170 pics later, it's done (for now). Approval pics this Saturday, and upload them Sunday night then send through the email. Then wait nervously for however long, hoping and praying that Arienh gets approved in time for OzComicCon.

Oh, also me in my new TR (If my possessed bucket will give poor Cyclops a break for once).

I'll post the approval pics in this thread once they have been sent off to those who count.

Well, Arienh and I are home from Brisbane (5hr+ drive). My eyes are basically falling out of my head, and Arienh is in no better state, but we have sorted through photo's picked out the best ones and emailed them off. Now we wait for the outcome....

Here are the pics we posted for Arienh.

Bucket Off:

TD171-ApplicationPicBucketOff_zpsb2thtvb

Bucket On:

TD172-ApplicationPicBucketOn_zpsxxclzkkv

Facing Right:

TD175-ApplicationPicFacingRight_zpshzloi

Facing Left:

TD173-ApplicationPicFacingLeft_zps28lvuy

Rear:

TD174-ApplicationPicRear_zpsfpeee9ln.jpg

Action Shot 01: