HOWTO: Make your MRCE ears thinner

I mentioned this on another thread but had no pic's at the time to show & so today was a slow day so I descided to mod my nxt MRCE.

first remove the foam from inside the helmet where the ears would be. then hold the helmet up to a bright light & you will see inside the helmet the general place where the ear cap's are outside. Make a small pilot hole dead centre of the earcap shadow.

MAZP7bg.jpg

hand drill with a 6mm bit, from inside the helmet carefully & if on target, the lug holding the earcap cover (the thing with the bumps) will fall away gently.

then remove the now exposed earcap screw's. all three

V0BrZU5.jpg

GGrVyOr.jpg

OOzcakn.jpg

using electrical tape as a guide to a new uniform straight edge on the earcap & using a kraft knife, cut away the excess white stuff.

FP8ZxFh.jpg

cnVbMBO.jpg

44SVuXU.jpg

now re-attached the earcap assembly using 4mm countersunk screw's & tipex white.

last pic is of the subtle difference that the ears before (right facing) & after (left facing) now show.

eX7y6DQ.jpg

if anybody has an easier way to do this please do share :) any & all comments welcome

Great work..but what did you cut from the eyes exactly?What 3 screws did you use for the outside of the ears?

thanks Mark, I removed a small bit of the flashing in the eye sockets with a needle file, I also used the same file to open up half the frown, the other half needs to be completed. The screws I used were X3 straight slot, countersunk 4mm by 25mm long, machine screws, you might want to cut down the screw by the bottom of the earcap or it may hit your head!

hope this helped

thanks Mark, I removed a small bit of the flashing in the eye sockets with a needle file, I also used the same file to open up half the frown, the other half needs to be completed. The screws I used were X3 straight slot, countersunk 4mm by 25mm long, machine screws, you might want to cut down the screw by the bottom of the earcap or it may hit your head!

hope this helped

Oh,my englisch...I must translate it tomorrow...technical instructions are to hard for my old schoolenglisch,Steve. :D

Can you send me a pic of your machine srews?Here in germany I bought some,but the screwhead on the top is too high.So it´s not movieaccurate. ;)

Now I wonder what we can do about that two-piece joint - it is a little annoying. I'll find out in a few days when my comes in, but I wonder if it can be filled in like the frown? Should just sculpt something and offer it as a modded piece. Shouldn't be that hard??

DD.

Here's an alternative method but it may leave a small indent where the knife goes in.

slide a thin strong knife down the earcap, then using repair kit jemmy's prize a small gap, then cut the lug away, there may be a popping sound ;)

eRCnbgP.jpg

IOHI6hp.jpg

then cut the spacer post's of the helmet

Dj9vyVz.jpg

& repeat the first post with the earcaps

one last mod I was asked for was to open the mouth.

using a needle file, file upwards on the top tooth gap

akfBYt1.jpg

& downwards on the bottom gap

H402qiR.jpg

finally I paint the theeth slightly exaggarated & mouth elongated to give it a meaner frown

wGixcah.jpg

& hay presto the best £40 pound's I've spent this week

CfUxv8P.jpg

hope it's ok to post these last mod's & thanks for moving the thread :)

riveting said:

Here's an alternative method but it may leave a small indent where the knife goes in.

slide a thin strong knife down the earcap, then using repair kit jemmy's prize a small gap, then cut the lug away, there may be a popping sound ;)

then cut the spacer post's of the helmet

& repeat the first post with the earcaps

Do you have pics from all cutted parts together?I don´t understand,what I must all cut exacactly..sorry.

riveting said:

No prob's :) I should have done this first time round I guess, all these spacer post's in the red circles have to go

Oh,that´s enough?I must cut nothing from this parts(orange markings)?

earstuningfy1.th.jpg

And what decals are you using for the blue stripes on the tubes?Or are they painted?I´ve stripes from trooperdecals.com,but under direct daylight,they are looking more violet as blue. ;)

earstuningfy1.th.jpg

Sorry Mark I havn't explained myself clearly, Yes the plastic marked in the orange gets cut away aswell

And what decals are you using for the blue stripes on the tubes?Or are they painted?I´ve stripes from trooperdecals.com,but under direct daylight,they are looking more violet as blue. ;)

The Tube stripes are hand painted using Humbrol mediterranean blue & electrical tape as wide guide's as in post 1 & the original stripes as rough templates to paint over.

hope this helps :)

earstuningfy1.th.jpg

Sorry Mark I havn't explained myself clearly, Yes the plastic marked in the orange gets cut away aswell

The Tube stripes are hand painted using Humbrol mediterranean blue & electrical tape as wide guide's as in post 1 & the original stripes as rough templates to paint over.

hope this helps :)

I have an extra set of Arlon 05 Blue Tube Stripes left, if anyone wants them....for free.

Just send me your address and I'll get those to you!

Email me

toonman@msn.com