WANTED: Cheap option for helmet fans

Sorry if this has been asked before, I've run a quick search but didn't find what I was looking for.

I'm trying to find cheap options for helmet fans, since I'll be honest, I'm looking at the cost of this whole project adding up and it's starting to get scary! So, by cheap, I mean dirt cheap!!

I have no knowledge of soldering electronics and I don't have the equipement either, so unless there's some significant savings to do by going this route, I'd rather be looking at something that's already assembled.

One thing I was looking at is something like this : http://m.aliexpress.com/item-desc/1981887909.html

It might be a little big (12cm x 6,5cm x 1,8cm) or it might be a stupid idea but that's why I'm asking the experts here...

What do think? Any other suggestion?

Thanks!

---------

I don't know squat about electronics. That being said, I ordered a couple of these, then went to radio shack and picked up a battery pack that holds 4 AA batteries and has a 9V connection on top, a 9V connector and a toggle switch. I had a buddy solder them together for me the first time. Very easy and cheap.

-----------

I can send you a pic later if you want.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working
  • Like 1

Very interesting!

This is definitely my definition of dirt cheap! I'll have to ask around if I have any friends with special talents...

Edited by gmrhodes13

Really all it takes is some minor soldering and electrical tape. Has never failed me. I'll post a picture for you tonight.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I've done some research and it would cost me less than 20$, soldering iron included!

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I never thought it could be that easy!

Youtube has several videos on soldering basics. Helped me a ton in my recent projects.

Edited by Khazid

----------

----------

Black fan wire soldered to snap connector black wire. Red fan wire and red snap connector both to toggle switch.

Edited by gmrhodes13

So far, one blowing across my face has been enough. The other is a backup. That being said, I have never done a long time outdoors in the Summer. But in hot rooms and limited trooping outside in summer its enough to cool you.

• 3 weeks later...

I ended up using 5v blower fans from Amazon;

http://www.amazon.co...d=I51L76H4XGEYH

----------

And these switches

http://www.amazon.co...=I3DFK11UDGL7SX

For power I used one of those battery charger sticks similar to this; 

http://www.amazon.co...3NTA699NMN78ZN4

I did have a couple AAA batteries set up instead but had one BLOW UP in my helmet while I was wearing it. Luckily no damage to me or the helmet but scared the you know what out of me when it went!

Cheap and easy.

Edited by gmrhodes13

And no I don't use all 5, I have 2 set up in the face blowing air across my face and eyes. The other three are in the back of my helmet on a separate circuit (same battery) but have never needed to use them.

I've used this set up outside in the sun for 3 hours with no issue, and by using the battery its easy to recharge, cheap, and also very light.

On 6/26/2015 at 9:46 PM, TK69581 said:

\

And these switches

I did have a couple AAA batteries set up instead but had one BLOW UP in my helmet while I was wearing it. Luckily no damage to me or the helmet but scared the you know what out of me when it went!

Wow, what type of batteries were you using?

I have heard of LiIon batteries doing that, but not NiMh batteries.

If your fans are 5 v, you can use rechargeable NiMh x 2 AA in two separate holders, so total of 4 batteries. You can hook them in series with 2 push on push off switches and shouldn't have any troubles.

Wiring this way you can run either or both fans and they draw from all batteries regardless.

Cheap and easy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by gmrhodes13

On 6/26/2015 at 9:46 PM, TK69581 said:

And these switches

Cheap and easy.

I have those exact same fans in my amazon cart. Now for the battery, how are you getting power to the switch? USB to dc lead? One fan to one battery since the ouput on the battery is 5v? 

Edited by gmrhodes13

I basically took the USB plug, stripped the wires and connected them to a plug (male end) the used the other side of a connector to attach the switch and split it off between the two fans (so they run in parallel.

I'll try and take some pictures in a few minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If there are any recycling places near you or you or someone you know has an old desktop or laptop computer, you can canabalise the fans from them, also if you have kids or know someone with kids you can cut the battery pack out of an old toy, a dremel is great for this, lots of toys often have a little switch on them near the battery compartment that can be used too.

Just thought I would mention also using heat shrink tubing is much better and tidier than electrical tape around the wires, you can get it from an electrical shop, automotive shop or online, just get a size bigger than the wire, cut off enough to cover the joins, remember to slide it well back from where your soldering, solder the wire, slide it over the join and rub the soldering iron over it to shrink it over the cable, electrical tape is ok short term but it tends to unravel over time leaving sticky glue everywhere.

A hot glue gun is also invaluable for sealing over wires and tidying things up and also fixing to your lid, watch the heat though and have a damp rag on standby.

Edited by welshchris77

If there are any recycling places near you or you or someone you know has an old desktop or laptop computer, you can canabalise the fans from them, also if you have kids or know someone with kids you can cut the battery pack out of an old toy, a dremel is great for this, lots of toys often have a little switch on them near the battery compartment that can be used too.

Just thought I would mention also using heat shrink tubing is much better and tidier than electrical tape around the wires, you can get it from an electrical shop, automotive shop or online, just get a size bigger than the wire, cut off enough to cover the joins, remember to slide it well back from where your soldering, solder the wire, slide it over the join and rub the soldering iron over it to shrink it over the cable, electrical tape is ok short term but it tends to unravel over time leaving sticky glue everywhere.

A hot glue gun is also invaluable for sealing over wires and tidying things up and also fixing to your lid, watch the heat though and have a damp rag on standby.

This is the exact concept i was thinking. My daughter has a couple toys she doesn't use. I'm going to find a switch from one of those. I ended up going with a bit bigger battery, PNY T6600 ($25 bucks at best buy, Can charge a phone 4 times over)  that has 6600 mAh with 2 USB ports, one puts out 2.4 amp and the other is 1A. I hooked up a ohmmeter to a stripped USB cable, showing about 7.3 - 7.5 v output on each.

This is the exact concept i was thinking. My daughter has a couple toys she doesn't use. I'm going to find a switch from one of those. I ended up going with a bit bigger battery, PNY T6600 ($25 bucks at best buy, Can charge a phone 4 times over) that has 6600 mAh with 2 USB ports, one puts out 2.4 amp and the other is 1A. I hooked up a ohmmeter to a stripped USB cable, showing about 7.3 - 7.5 v output on each.

This battery you speak of, is it NiMh or Li ion.

Reason I ask is Li ion can be unpredictable, as in they can for no apparent reason, catch fire, as has happened recently to a member of the FISD .

NiMh is a far safer option, but usually won't have as good capacity and are heavier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When graphene batteries are available they are going to wipe the floor with regular lithium ion, a recent test showed a comparable graphene battery could store 10 times more power than a lithium ion battery, 30,000 mAh instead of 3,000 and 10 times the charging speed 15 minutes instead of two hours, after 150 charge/discharge cycles, it was  also five times more effective than any lithium-ion battery currently on the market.

Some great advances going on with graphene technology, they will be great for our lids!  :smiley-sw013: 

• Like 1

My honest opinion: Don't cheap out on fans. I've tried a couple of options and ended up by getting Echo's system.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

My honest opinion: Don't cheap out on fans. I've tried a couple of options and ended up by getting Echo's system.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

I've already bought all the parts necessary to build my own fan system :(