iComm not using a VoiceBooster

Hey Brian,

I just PM'ed Jim (he's the guy who sells them) about his icomm system.

First, you have to have a voicebooster for the icomm to work.

Secondly, he stated that the icomm was made to work only w/ the one that he sells w/ it.

I asked if i could use a different one and he stated it wouldn't work.

hope this helps.

Edit*

here is the responce i got....

No, it will not likely work. the iComm relies on the voltage of our VoiceBooster amplifiers in order to activate. Cheap amps like the one Mike sells (trooperbay) use cheap batteries and do not deliver the needed voltage. My listing are pretty clear that you need a VoiceBooster for the iComm to work correctly.

Even if it does work you may damage the iComm or the balance between voice and static burst sounds will not be right.

Edited by AnjelRedemption

Guess I might have an iComm unit for sale soon then

Why not buy one of the cheaper voicebooster amps? the MR1506 is pretty inexpensive and Jim will have it out to you in a hurry.

Suppose you have a genuine Aker MR1506 amp set up, that was not purchased through VoiceBooster. Would that still work with the iComm?

It depends, I think the MR1506 Aker branded has some trouble but the MR1505 works.. but don't quote me.

I know that Jim has tried to phase out the Aker brand with Voicebooster, inside they are basically the same but when the creation of the voicebooster, they have tweaked the voltage and made the IComm require the specific voltage.

So it's no guarantee if you have an Aker that it will work. Best to get a VB amp.

• 1 month later...

What's the difference in Wattage for the Aker units? (besides weight I guess)... 10 watt (1506) vs 12watt (1505)? Does anyone use anything more than 12 watts? Which provides the best sound? 

The more watts, the louder the speaker, but also the thicker the box.

Most have found that the VB1506 is the best in terms of sound and size for a TK so it can fit under the chest piece without making the chest armor stick up.