Rubies for ESB stormtrooper.

shadowfax821

Can someone please...please help me...I bought the Rubies Supreme to use as my armor and learned that it was a big mistake...I should have inquired before I purchased it...(spilt milk) now I have to modify the armor so I can get into the 501st.  I so desperately want to be a member..  OK..so what I did was I purchased the EFX helmet which arrived today..Now I want to make the rubies armor work for me so that I can be a proud member of the 501st..I cant afford new armor so I will modify the one that I bought...while reading the 301st guide I read that FISD can help me with this....I will do whatever I have to to bring this armor up to 501st approval...Please help me get in...thank you.

post-23760-0-29848100-1433726108_thumb.jpg

Wow, that's a tough one, but I know that it has been done before!

First of all, get rid of the shoes, as they are not correct at all.

If you think about going sandtrooper, the pauldron is okay, otherwise leave it out.

One of your main concerns will be your helmet. Did it come preassembled?

The top of your bucket looks to be out of proportions ...

The rubies armor features so many inaccuracies, that it would be hard to mention all of them in one post.

Best advice for the time being is to go through all the reference pictures available here on FISD and start disassembling your armor bit by bit and change all the part one after the other.

Browse through the building threads and look for other troopers who started with a rubies.

As far as I recall, there even was an expert infantery application rather re ently by some fellow trooper who also started with a rubies armor.

Browse and research, start asking questions here and we will answer and help!

• Like 1

The Helmet is gone,  I bought and received the EFX ANH helmet.   I've disassembled the armor and removed the elastic snaps and replace them with metal snaps so the fit is more snug I will repurchase the correct shoes and as for the pauldron i will remove it as I want to start with becoming a ESB stormtrooper.  I will settle for that to get me into the 501st, I really want to be a part of the 501st.  Then i will start to build or just purchase the Sandtrooper armor.  Thanks for the advice I could really use the guidance from you. Thank you so much friend.

Before you think about going to Sandtrooper, you should consider Heavy Weapons Trooper. We wear the same armor components as the TK. The main differences is that you don't have to change the sniper knee plate and the ab button plate. Our combat packs are easier to build and cheaper than Sandtrooper. And you don't have to make your armor appear dirty and sandy. You spent money on the costume, why make it look dirty? Make sure you research first next time! Your GML in your state Garrison should have sent you an email for contacting them for questions. If you're interested in becoming a HWT, contact Ukswrath; he helped me with guidance on my pack and I got accepted

• Like 1

Ok  here is where i'm at with the Mods to the Rubies armor..... I've removed the rivets from the shoulder straps filed in the rivet hole and used ABS cement to put them back in place  worked great.  next I drilled holes in the fake buttons on the abdomen plate and replaced the with the blue and grey buttons that I purchased.  I also replaced velcro with snaps and the armore fits like a glove.

post-23760-0-65727800-1433885092_thumb.jpg  post-23760-0-52861600-1433885100_thumb.jpg  post-23760-0-20865500-1433885106_thumb.jpg

The rubies armor features so many inaccuracies, that it would be hard to mention all of them in one post.

Best advice for the time being is to go through all the reference pictures available here on FISD and start disassembling your armor bit by bit and change all the part one after the other.

Browse through the building threads and look for other troopers who started with a rubies.

Browse and research, start asking questions here and we will answer and help!

FWIW, your arms have way to much room in them so you will need to re-size them to fit better.  Can't see the shoulder straps in the pics to see how they look.  The ridge around the chest armor and cod piece is more applicable for a ROTJ armor set as ANH and ESB did not have that pronounced ridge.  Your left bicep is facing out and should be twisted so that the cover strip is facing out front.  Can't see the details on the forearm armor.  Your left forearm has a gap at the cover strip.  you will need to either do a overlap or a butt joint there to close that gap which can be done when you downsize the forearm armor to fit you.   These are some things that I see but maybe some of the experts can chime in. To get a true opinion, you are going to have to show pics of the entire set, both front and back and sides.   Again, read through the CRL and reference pics as these will what you will be either approved or deferred on.  in all honesty, you could probably sell this armor and pay a lot less for another set from a reputable armor maker you can find here.  This is only my opinion as you will have a lot of work to do on this set of armor that may end up costing you more in the long run.  Don't beat yourself up too much, before I got into the legion and approved, a couple years ago I wasted a boatload of money on a Rubie's Vader that turned out to be a really expensive Halloween costume.  Do your research here.  Ask questions as much as you want.  The people here will not steer you wrong.  

Edited by Darth Havoc

Thank you all for your advise as I am following it as much as I can.  Im trying to see how far I can get with the Rubies and I believe if I could just get my Foot in the door for now, Then I can save to get a good armor.  If being ROTJ gets me this through the threshold...Ill be happy that i'm in and I can relax and save up for the good armor,  I am so determined that I believe that I can make this work.  Thank you all and I hope soon to be Brothers with all of you.

Edited by shadowfax821

• 3 weeks later...

Shadowfax i am in the exact same problem with you. I spent 300 on the Rubies delux and over 200 on electronics for the helmet and i want to be part Of the 501st . They say if you contact your garrison they should also be ableto help you in how to join/questions but i havent heard anything from mine and its been a week i emailed some one there . I wish i could help but but again im also in the same position as you .... i wish you luck and please keep posting pictures of your progress as i will be learning from you .... so far all i know is that the rubies helmet not good even with all the money I've put in it. Im thinking of selling it and buying a EFX helmet but i dont know if its acceptable .. good luck and talk to you soon

• Like 1

Im thinking of selling it and buying a EFX helmet but i dont know if its acceptable

Don't bother with the eFX helmet. It's crap.

Here is what can be done with a Rubies and a different helmet to create a ROTJ TK: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/25993-tk-6647-requesting-rotj-eib-statusrub5th/

• 2 weeks later...

Shadowfax i am in the exact same problem with you. I spent 300 on the Rubies delux and over 200 on electronics for the helmet and i want to be part Of the 501st . They say if you contact your garrison they should also be ableto help you in how to join/questions but i havent heard anything from mine and its been a week i emailed some one there . I wish i could help but but again im also in the same position as you .... i wish you luck and please keep posting pictures of your progress as i will be learning from you .... so far all i know is that the rubies helmet not good even with all the money I've put in it. Im thinking of selling it and buying a EFX helmet but i dont know if its acceptable .. good luck and talk to you soon

Ok ...so here's an update to what I have done...I tried to make some mods to the Rubies and submit the photos but it just wasn't good enough.  So I tried a different approach, I turned the ESB into a incinerator trooper and submitted it and again I was knocked down but looking at the Incinerator trooper I submitted I saw that I myself would have rejected it because the Helmet, no matter what I tried with it was too big and clumpy looking.  Finally I put the Rubies to rest, Went on Facebook and met a person named Walter who runs Walts Trooper Factory I bought the Gino V2 helmet and armor. Best thing I ever did was STOP WASTING MORE MONEY on the RUBIES. I hate to admit it but everyone was right.  you would spend more money trying to modify the Rubies  then you would buying an armor with the helmet from WTF...Good luck and may the force be with you.

Edited by shadowfax821

STOP WASTING MORE MONEY on the RUBIES.

It happens and Its hard to admit defeat.. But be proud that SOON you will have just what you want. :) Know I have seen rubies done as an EXCILENT ROTJ armor..  So just dont trash your armor... Save it.. Keep it for later and maybe go that route some day.. or a Death Trooper!

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with you and im trying to make it "decent "with electronics to get a good price for it and buy either a ATA or Anovos helmet ... im deciding anovos because im just looking to buy something completed vs a kit ... i dont have space/time to build one up and im already driving my wife crazy with my projects lol