Thoughts on Armor Master (AM) Armor Kit

So i just purchased this as my 1st Armor Kit , bought at a decent price , any thoughts on the kit ? attachicon.gif$_12 (6).JPG

For the price, and what comes with it, the kit is decent. You can quickly make a TK or a TD and it's great for those with some extra girth because of the extra edge on all the parts.

The ABS isn't as thick as some, but it feels a lot like PVC to me.

The Helmet isn't ultra awesome because it's a 3 part design, but once assembled if you do it right, it comes together nicely.

The chest is a bit long and the bewbs on it are longer than they should be as well.

What I don't see in this pile is the TK sniper plate, I only see the TD sniper plates.

Again, for the price range, it's a very nice suit, and it really nice and shiney white.

On 6/4/2015 at 11:45 AM, Carlos_Tk said:

this piece?? and also it didnt come with a helmet i had one already thankfully :)

It looks like the the part was trimmed wrong unfortunately. All of the return edges are gone. the cut marks looks to be right on the edge of the part. It should be basic approvable, but I'm sure you won't get beyond this.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

Your kit came with two of the TD knee plates, but no TK plate?  Before you try to find one solo, contact the seller and see if you just got a mis-packed shipment.  Ask for the TK sniper knee, he'll know what you need.

My AM kit should be shipped soon so I know to keep an eye out for the right pieces now. (: Thanks for the unintentional heads up!

Oh!  Also, it comes with ABS glue.  Don't use that!  Use E6000 instead, so if you mess up, you can pull the parts apart and rejoin them correctly.  That seems to be the #1 thing people get told about the AM kit, so I'm passing it along to you.  (:

Edited by Kredal

I've been reading that the back and chest pieces of AM won't qualify for a Centurion build.  What I can't figure out what is wrong with those pieces and how easy they are to fix to make them Centurion-able.  Can anyone explain it to this newbie?

Not accurate in proportions and shape I believe ,you can use ATA chest and back with AM armour, the colour is similar and your shoulder bridges can be attached properley. A few on here have done exactly that, so they could build to Centurion straight off the bat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've been reading that the back and chest pieces of AM won't qualify for a Centurion build.  What I can't figure out what is wrong with those pieces and how easy they are to fix to make them Centurion-able.  Can anyone explain it to this newbie?

What Andrew touched on briefly with the AM chest is the way the shoulder straps attach to the chest plate.

The angle of the chest plate on top has a very high ridge, so when you try to attach the shouldstrap it will not properly lay flat. One edge sticks up quite a bit. You have to heatshape it a little to get it ti sit right but it still looks off. Besides what I said before being the chest is just too large, like the FX almost.

• Like 1

I have AM armor and building for a skinny guy like myself took a lot of trimming. I don't care for the chest and back plate and will probably change them out for ATA stuff. But the rest is great. 

Actually, the newer AM 2.0 back plate is now acceptable.  I ended up switching out my chest plate, kidney, and AB plate to ATA.  GREAT customer service, and fast shipping. 

Just an update to the above, as I am on the current list for a set of AM 2.0

During my wait, I kept being informed of improvements that were being made, the Chest Plate has been completely redesigned, along with improved Shoulder Bells and that AM 2.0 will now meet all tiers of FISD approval.

Which is what I and no doubt a lot of potential buyers were waiting to hear, Centurion straight out of the box :)

Should be receiving my tracking number any day now.

Art

• Like 1

In regards to you not having the correct sniper plate, some people got two of the same shins a while back and it was promptly corrected, it seems like you should have no problems getting the correct piece. Good luck, if you haven't already contacted him. Also, assuming you bought it from the AM 2.0 guy himself.

Just an update to the above, as I am on the current list for a set of AM 2.0

During my wait, I kept being informed of improvements that were being made, the Chest Plate has been completely redesigned, along with improved Shoulder Bells and that AM 2.0 will now meet all tiers of FISD approval.

Which is what I and no doubt a lot of potential buyers were waiting to hear, Centurion straight out of the box :)

Should be receiving my tracking number any day now.

Art

Horray!  That's what I wanted to hear!  (:  I also put out a feeler to ATA to get a set of Hero ears from him, since I want to have 3 bumps instead of 4.  Since the helmet will be the last thing I put together, no big rush on that.  But very cool that the chest has been re-modeled too.  Thanks!

(I also should be receiving my tracking number any day now!)

I'm very excited to hear that the pieces have been updated.  As my wife said, if I'm going to spend the money on making armor, I might as well go out and make it the best.  I can't wait to get my armor and then try to get it to Centurion!

Yay!, I have a tracking number :)

Here's a couple of quote's from my emails concerning the upgrades.

"These new shoulder, chest and back will make this the most accurate AM2 run yet, and will be able to be built to level 3 standards for the FISD which hasn't been able to be done w/ all original parts."

"This chest is much more accurate and will meet all levels of requirements for all tiers of the FISD."

I knew when I was considering which armour to buy, the thought of going for Centurion was at the back of my mind, I did not want to put all this effort into a set, then not quite make it to Centurion.

of course that being said, a lot depends on my building skills :huh:

What Andrew touched on briefly with the AM chest is the way the shoulder straps attach to the chest plate.

The angle of the chest plate on top has a very high ridge, so when you try to attach the shouldstrap it will not properly lay flat. One edge sticks up quite a bit. You have to heatshape it a little to get it ti sit right but it still looks off. Besides what I said before being the chest is just too large, like the FX almost.

I used a modeling iron to flatten out the area on the chest where the straps connect to the chest piece. This allows the two pieces to join together flat.

Yay!, I have a tracking number :)

Here's a couple of quote's from my emails concerning the upgrades.

"These new shoulder, chest and back will make this the most accurate AM2 run yet, and will be able to be built to level 3 standards for the FISD which hasn't been able to be done w/ all original parts."

"This chest is much more accurate and will meet all levels of requirements for all tiers of the FISD."

I knew when I was considering which armour to buy, the thought of going for Centurion was at the back of my mind, I did not want to put all this effort into a set, then not quite make it to Centurion.

of course that being said, a lot depends on my building skills :huh:

Congrats on getting your armor shipped.  I'm a bit nervous as well about assembling my armor, but I'm confident that going to garrison events and getting a look at the armor up close along with help from other garrison members that it should turn out alright.  Measure a million times before you cut. ;)

Got my tracking number too!  Should be here next Monday!  YAAAAY!  [kermitflail.gif]

Then comes the supreme nervousness about that first cut...