Rubie's Yet Again: Astyanax's E11 Conversion

Astyanax

Astyanax,

First, great job and a great thread. I'm in the process of doing my own rubies right now and I've already been drawing on your posts for inspiration. 

Quick question for you going all the way back to #1 - Barrel. What attachment did you use on the dremel to cut the PVC pipe for the inner barrel? I was planning on buying the dremel you recommended from Amazon, but I wasn't sure if you used an attachment that came with it (I didn't see anything that could obviously be used for cutting but I also don't know anything about dremels) or if you bought an additional attachment for that purpose (like a metal cutting wheel). 

Thanks!

• Like 1

Hey Drew:

The kit I recommend comes with all the tips I used for this project. I was, however, so happy with the dremel that I bought a bunch more later!

The kit comes with a few grinding tips (tan-colored stones) and cutting discs. Here's what they look like:

12grinder1.jpg      12grinder2.jpg   12grinder3.jpg

The cylindrical one in the center I used to cut the barrel holes in the blaster itself. It's 3/8" in diameter, which matches the Rubie's barrel hole indentations perfectly. The flat-topped tip makes sure I make a nice even cut as I carefully, slowly, evenly push through.

The conical one on the left is what I used to cut the main hole in the side of the PVC pipe (although a drill bit could do the job too--PVC is soft). Once the hole was in, I pulled the running dremel sideways toward the end of the pipe, carving the notch as I moved. I could also have used one of the dremel's large cutting discs (rightmost picture, also supplied in the kit) to cut the straight parts of the notch, like a saw.

There are also sanding tips for smoothing, which I only used very sparingly for the barrel holes. It's very easy to over-sand!

If you happen to be good at lining things up perfectly, a 1/4" or 3/8" hole drilled all the way through the PVC pipe would be fine. I'm not so good, so I needed the notch so that I could slide the PVC pipe forward and backward as needed prior to gluing, to ensure that all the barrel holes were covered completely.

Bill

Edited by Astyanax

Good idea making a safety tip, always thinking. I personally can't wait to see your Disney-Doo's build (I think that's where we landed monicker-wise unless you can beat that)

Thanks very much. My build will be taking a whole heckuva lot of inspiration from yours, but there is no way I'll be doing as much with mine as far as accuracy. Just the existing blaster and the Doopy Hasbro kit. And maybe one or two of CFP214's new Shapeways add-ons. ;)

How about "Doofy"? You know, like Goofy? :D

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The reticle image is 1" x 1", and the counter is 0.2" x 1.25". If you happen to have a copy of Photoshop, opening and printing from there will ensure they assume the correct size, as I set proper DPIs for them to print at 1:1 scale.

Hope that helps!

Bill

This is a fantastic build.  I shall definitely be attempting this on my own.  I have a HyperFirm on the way, but one can never have too many options! :D

I think the one thing I would change is sanding down the other rails flatter, as well, instead of only the top rail.  I have a belt sander so it should go quickly!  (just have to be careful not to go TOO quickly, eep!)

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...