mesh screen

macdon

Hi all,

Im currently scratch-building a helmet and wondered what type/kind of mesh to use. My best guess is probably a polyethylene (plastic) mesh/screen and covered behind with something solid or a black cloth for breathability and air to pass thru for comfort.

Another option I found was a cabinet shelf liner from TrueValue which im enclosing a pic below.

Any comments and recommendations will be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Mardon (MLC)

post-23856-0-23657000-1433125056_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Im afraid its not even close. The one used by Anovos is a honeycomb/hexagonal pattern like the enclosed pic below. However, Im interested to know what type of material it is - fabric, plastic or metal as mesh do come in those 3 materials.

post-23856-0-69832500-1435452817_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

My daughter found this in a fabric place. Its called "tulle" and possibly a good candidate if nothing else. Its 4mm per cell. Probably add either a solid backing or maybe speaker cloth for breathability and easier communication while wearing the helmet.

post-23856-0-35483300-1436427377_thumb.jpgpost-23856-0-00597000-1436427381_thumb.jpg

Mardon (MLC)

On 7/9/2015 at 3:37 PM, macdon said:

My daughter found this in a fabric place. Its called "tulle" and possibly a good candidate if nothing else. Its 4mm per cell. Probably add either a solid backing or maybe speaker cloth for breathability and easier communication while wearing the helmet.

--------------

Mardon (MLC)

I was pretty sure this is just a look thing and has no functionality. Behind the mesh is a solid backing so there is no airflow. The airflow comes through vents in under the nose area and out the side of the white nose cap.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

I was pretty sure this is just a look thing and has no functionality. Behind the mesh is a solid backing so there is no airflow. The airflow comes through vents in under the nose area and out the side of the white nose cap.

I concur as I've seen an inside pic of one of the helmets. I made my own helmet and had the "W" mouth profile cut out and since we are in a tropical country, I just thought it would be beneficial to have more air to come in. Probably easier to communicate as well. 

post-23856-0-08767300-1436582638_thumb.jpg

Mardon (MLC)