ATA Shin Backs Gap

As the title indicates I am working on ATA armor and I have the shins nearly finished. I am test fitting them now and they close well and can be held closed with tape. But I am nervous because they are in constant compression when closed that I will have problems with them comining apart when walking or inconveniently in the middle of a troop. What can I do to fix this?

I have seen some builders use boiling water but I have seen good and terrible things happen because of it.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

I would probably steer clear of the boiling water method, Kainoa.  I had the same problem with mine, and what I did was to purchase a heat gun at Lowe's, (usually around $25.00).  Then, I taped them up to the closed position, set them on concrete, and pointed the gun inside.  But be SURE to do it gradually, and don't overheat them, or they will become misshapen.  Also, make sure the final product is not closed all the way.  I have about a 1 1/2 inch gap, which the Velcro holds together just fine.

you should apply only small amounts of heat inside the part.  never let the part get hot.

heat for a moment.  wait, let cool and test.

this type of ABS plastic can take less than 40 seconds to become molten.  if you melt the plastic like let's say cheese  it will fall apart like a cake

and you'll have a pile of melted plastic.

15 seconds along the entire side or LESS... try 10 seconds of balanced heat across each side.  the tension in the shins is held  across the side of each leg.

remember  LESS heat the better.  with the parts taped in place you are just heating small areas to release the tension.

put the part into the refrigerator, (not the freezer) to cool.  glue comes apart in the freezer.

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392
  • Like 1

I used a heat gun and just slowly bent in the front edge on both halves before i glued them together.  I had anticipated that it would be an issue once I glued the cover strip on.

I think you can still use a heat gun after the pieces have been glued together.  Just warm up the entire front with the heat gun for about 20 seconds and just push the halves closer.  Repeat until you get it to where you want it.  

Edited by hon143

Yes, Kainoa, let it cool down on it's own.  You don't have to wait for it to get completely cool during the shaping process, but no need to use water.  Also, you might want to attach the Velcro to the one with the cover strip as a test, as it looks pretty close to where it needs to be.  You can always remove it if not, but don't re-use it, and remove it before heating again.