Shipping and customs for TK armor in Canada : Your experiences?

Hi everyone!

Sorry if this has been asked already, if so I couldn't find it!

So, I don't know if this is worthy of a thread but here it is :

What are your experiences with shipping and customs when ordering an armor from the US?

I ordered an armor from Anovos and I've asked for it to be shipped to a location just past the border who will receive it and hold it for me so that I can go pick it up.

I did this because :

A) when I ordered, the shipping costs to Canada were ridiculous(I hear they went down for new orders)

B) I don't really trust the customs to be neither fast or careful with this package.

I do know however that I'll probably have to pay duties and taxes when I'll cross the border and that might not be such a joyride either.

So my question is this, what is your experience with armor shipping? Did you ever pass the border with a TK armor in he back of your car and how did it go? Based on your experience, should I change my shipping info so that they ship it to my place instead?

Thanks for your help!

I know, I've looked at AP and even though I'd love to support him, I can't spend that much especially since there is so much included with the Anovos kit that I would have to buy separately... That would be almost twice as expensive and I bought the kit on impulse given the low price because I knew TK armors were worth much more than that!

Edited by =Sv3=

So do I!

From what I heard of their Trek products, they seem very quality oriented but a TK armor is a much taller order than a tunic...

And you know, if it turns out to be subpar, which I doubt, I could always sell it at cost and get on the list...

I think you should wait it out, if it's bad, you could just return it, i guess.

As for "smuggling" the parts, i don't see why that should be a problem. They're just plastic parts, not consumables, alcohols or tobacco.
Just hide them under the fake floor in your YT-1300 Light Freighter if the scanning crews board you mid-journey. ;) 

I ordered my armor from ATA and it arrived no problem.  From everything I have purchased , usually from sellers in the US, I've never had anything go missing yet.

I ordered my armor from ATA and it arrived no problem. From everything I have purchased , usually from sellers in the US, I've never had anything go missing yet.

Did you have to pay duties and if so, what did it amount to?

Didn't pay any duties that I can recall.  The only thing that I've ever paid duties on was a bath robe bought off of ThinkGeek.

Thanks for sharing!!! I may just change my order then! I'll wait to see if they reach their stretch goal of 33k followers on FB just in case I'd get lucky and get free shipping...

I ordered one but am edging ever closer to cancelling it after all the changes and doubts over shipping times

I was very concerned at first too but what I read in other threads reassured me... The switch from ABS to PVC was explained by GotMaul on the RPF boards and it seems like they are doing this after extensive tests on materials made specifically for them...

I don't know if this will be better than kits from vetted maker but I don't think it will be that much worse either. Just different...