Battlefront - worried about the TK

charlesnarles

This thread has given me an epiphany of sorts.

I was part of an EA/Gamestop LFL event back on March 3rd at which they revealed the gameplay footage to non-Dice employees for the first time.  Peter Moore (EA boss guy) was there, and he even tweeted some pictures taken with us :) afterwards. 

https://twitter.com/petermooreEA/status/572835442518843394

https://twitter.com/petermooreEA/status/572891953156603906

Anyway, the footage that we saw that day has been seen by many now (at Celebration) and when I saw it, I was immediately impressed with the details that they nailed, i.e. the E-11 being used in the footage was the ROTJ version with all of the greeblies, and it was being used on Endor, so my natural inclination was to believe that they had just gotten all of the little things correct.  At the time, it never occurred to me that they had simply taken the ROTJ TK and E-11 and used it as the sole model for the Stormtroopers in the game.

I'll admit that this probability makes me a little sad inside, as an ANH TK myself, but as a fan of Star Wars, and a gamer, I am still very excited about the game based on what I saw and heard that day.  As mentioned previously, we've only got a few more months of waiting left to know for sure what they did and didn't include.  It is an exciting time to be a Star Wars fan!

• Like 1

Yeah, what is all that ROTJ TK hating? :P ROTJ TK still beats all other costumes around, the screen close-ups showed loose parts and inconsistent builds, but the game will idealise and conform. I think we'll be happy with the mix of attention to detail and mainstream gaming. Yes, the genre is as mainstream as it gets. 

In Battlefront, I believe we'll be shooting around from mid and marksman range, playing 3 meters from the TV or 40cm from a 24", getting our asses kicked by 12 years olds and be spoken to poorly over voice chat. Had it been an RPG game like Fallout or Skyrim, then sure we'd love to spin the camera around the characters for hours and hours, but there I mentioned two games that are heavily fan-modded and don't need to expect everything from developers. 

• Like 1

11537563_10153425920509752_3594843937410

What do you guys think ? I don't know the armor well enough to tell, but the helmet at least looks a Sandy.

edit: almost forgot, new video as well came out today.  It looks good, although why is ROTJ Luke on Hoth...

yet another edit:

I guess all the Sandtroopers are Sergeants or Officers, still though it looks awesome. I just hope they have Imperial missions and not just rebel missions. Not too crazy about the Shock Troopers, Stormtroopers aren't Republic era Clone Troopers. They don't have fancy stripes on thier armor.

Edited by Vatta

What do you guys think ? I don't know the armor well enough to tell, but the helmet at least looks a Sandy.

It is a sandy. They have scanned 1 sandy helmet when they were at the archives. That's confirmed by the game project manager.

I guess all the Sandtroopers are Sergeants or Officers, still though it looks awesome. I just hope they have Imperial missions and not just rebel missions. Not too crazy about the Shock Troopers, Stormtroopers aren't Republic era Clone Troopers. They don't have fancy stripes on thier armor.

It's the gaming industry way of telling the player that there is something special about that guy. In this case more armour and heavier weaponry. The same goes for the guys with pauldrons. They just have something special that is not obvious enough to be noticed otherwise. Just a "visual cue".

That Hoth Video... Why are the Snowtroopers almost grey? Using ROTJ E-11's? Luke...in his black "Jedi Knight" outfit and lightsaber from ROTJ???

I can live with the E-11 and grey ish snowies. I can even understand why they would put Luke in to fight Vader on Hoth (its a game), but at least get the outfits right. Put him in a pilot suit and give him his blue saber.

I'll admit Luke's outfit was a little jarring against snow, considering ROTJ's relatively saturated locales.

It makes sense to go "full-Jedi" from a continuity perspective if they're showing us what happens between ep 6 and 7. Not quite the same situation as the ps2 games spanning the whole OT

It makes sense to go "full-Jedi" from a continuity perspective if they're showing us what happens between ep 6 and 7. Not quite the same situation as the ps2 games spanning the whole OT

I agree, but what is he doing fighting Vaderthen? Didnt he burn him on Endor or something?

I know its just a game, but it still bugs me to see this.

They have done so much research, but still chosen to be lazy.

That's... true, but imagine the backlash for not including Vader! The time period must slide around 3-4 ABY depending on which characters are involved? Lol I just want to know the context of the battles I fight. Maybe they've thought about it more than we have and they came up with some explanation regarding the exact year.

I really wouldn't call it lazy, since they're doing a good job with the meshes and could work out more textures later on.

The Jakku video answered a lot of questions I had (in a good way)

Edited by charlesnarles

If Battlefront 2 could have Hoth Luke in a Pilot flight suit, and Endor Luke in the black jedi garb then this Battlefront can do the same. If they don't have it fixed by launch then it is just lazy devs. Most likely the battles won't even have any story or really adhere strickly to the timeline. It's just that location, it's all about the multiplayer combat and a mess of all the OT Rebels and Imperials and some made up crap to fill out the different classes of Troops. The only story it looks like the game may have is in the co-op missions, which doesn't look like much story. It pretty much just hold off X number of waves of bad guys for X amount of time.