Introducing Star Wars to new people

endl3ss

Hi,

I'm in the situation that I'm trying HARD to trick a few persons into watching all the movies. Yes, I know....who on earth would need to be tricked into watching something as great as Star Wars, but they do exist. :P

Anyways, I'm still wondering what would be the best order to show the movies. Some might feel this is obvious, but then again....

Personally, I watched them in the following order: ESB, ANH, ROTJ, TPM, AOTC, ROTS. While I recognize that ANH definitely should've come first, that was the way it turned out for me (....mom....I WANNA see it....everybody else have...!!!!! :angry: ). The issue here is not really the individual episodes, but rather the two trilogies. In what order would YOU show them to someone who had never seen them, and didn't know anything about the Star Wars universe, ie. the original trilogy first and then the prequels, or the other way around?

I can see the arguments for watching the entire series in its episode-wise "correct" order, but I can also see the reasoning behind watching the original trilogy first, and THEN moving on to the prequel....simply because I did that myself. I think the emotional impact for me was big enough, also it might be argued that the prequel films look "slicker", wich might be an issue for some, as the last films of the series have a slightly "older" look to them in many respects.

I know for me watching the last trilogy first, and THEN having a go at the prequels, had a certain emotional impact, as I knew what would become of little Anakin. I know a lot of people loath Jake Lloyd's and Hayden Christensen's acting in the Ep I and II, but for me the fact that I knew what would become of him made these characters all the more tolerable and interesting. And honestly, I actually felt their acting was cool enough, and it had an impact for me. Take a look at THIS pic, it might trigger some of what I felt watching the series in that particular order.

Anyways, would very much like to hear Your thoughts on this....

Well,

I'd definitely go in this order: ANH, ESB, ROTJ, TPM, AOTC and ROTS

I think beginning with TPM is taking an aweful ris with your audience, they'll probably kick yourself asking you why the hell you're showing them such crap! :D That says a lot on my personal opinion of that movie.

While beginning at ANH, you'll automatically hook them on Star Wars as it was meant to be seen .. with awesome special effect and a great story. After the OT, they'll want to see the PT.

That's how I plan on doing it on my side anyway! :D Hehehe

When I found out one of my friends had NEVER seen Star Wars, we got her to my house and showed her the original trilogy in order. She then borrowed the prequels from a friend and watched them in her own time. Introduction was a success I think :lol:

Even if she does like ewoks.

Original trilogy first is the way to go for sure. I know TPM would have put me right off it had it been the first Star Wars I had seen.

Yeah, that's my thinking too, although I'd love to hear what everybody thinks.

My instinct would be to show the original trilogy FIRST, and THEN go to the prequel, just like I watched them. But I can definitely see the reasoning behind doing it Ep I thru VI. Just for the record, although I think the effects and the look of the prequel is awesome, it's still nothing compared to the original trilogy. Opening sequence of ANH, attack on the Death Star, the assault on Hoth, asteroid-field chase.........oh man!

Keep it coming! I need the input....

Edit: wow....two more managed to answer by the time I got the answer to the second post down....

I know TPM would have put me right off it had it been the first Star Wars I had seen.

Same here.

The only movies I watch are ANH and ESB, after that they get a bit silly. I mean, ROTJ has some good parts but Ewoks...come on :rolleyes: And don't get me started on the prequels. I watched TPM once and once only. ATOC was only slightly better and ROTS slightly better still.

Same here.

The only movies I watch are ANH and ESB, after that they get a bit silly. I mean, ROTJ has some good parts but Ewoks...come on :rolleyes: And don't get me started on the prequels. I watched TPM once and once only. ATOC was only slightly better and ROTS slightly better still.

Same here really. I think I've seen TPM twice, once when it came out. I was so, so disappointed. I was 9yrs old and even I thought it was ridiculous. Pfft. The other prequels I've seen probably around the same. They just lack something. I love ANH and ESB to bits. ROTJ, not so much, the stormtroopers look different and there are Ewoks. (plus Vader dying and the Executor getting blown up makes me sad :unsure:)

Same here really. I think I've seen TPM twice, once when it came out. I was so, so disappointed. I was 9yrs old and even I thought it was ridiculous. Pfft. The other prequels I've seen probably around the same. They just lack something. I love ANH and ESB to bits. ROTJ, not so much, the stormtroopers look different and there are Ewoks. (plus Vader dying and the Executor getting blown up makes me sad :unsure:)

Hehe, it's funny to see so many people having the exact same opinion, wherever they come from.... :P

I was very disappointed with the prequels, the original trilogy will always be my favorite, no contest. TPM was not very good, AOTC was slightly better, and ROTS slightly better than the last one. But for me it will always be the original trilogy that rules.....even if I did hate that the mighty Empire lost to a bunch of teddybears....

ROTS was pretty cool though, I loved seeing the clones in their different configurations. AND the 501st was there of course....

I've actually thought a lot about this recently, but not with showing to friends who have never seen them, but thinking about if we are ever blessed with children one day showing them. Of course my gut instinct, knee jerk reaction is to show them in the order I saw them... ANH, ESB, ROTJ, then TPM, AOTC, and finally ROTS... but... the more I hear interviews with Uncle George and read things about how the movies really are Vader's saga, the more I think I might show them to "my kids" in episode order instead.

I can just picture showing TPM first and talking up Anakin... and waiting a year, or more, to show them AOTC... and then our kids talking about how Anakin gets angry and so on and so on... and finally, with ROTS our kids would freak out and not believe he fell to the "dark side" (of course I'd explain the Empire is in fact good for the galaxy). Then, when that first scene opens on ANH and Vader comes in the impact of WHO he is and the power of his story would be so powerful!

Just my current thoughts...

I've actually thought a lot about this recently, but not with showing to friends who have never seen them, but thinking about if we are ever blessed with children one day showing them. Of course my gut instinct, knee jerk reaction is to show them in the order I saw them... ANH, ESB, ROTJ, then TPM, AOTC, and finally ROTS... but... the more I hear interviews with Uncle George and read things about how the movies really are Vader's saga, the more I think I might show them to "my kids" in episode order instead.

I can just picture showing TPM first and talking up Anakin... and waiting a year, or more, to show them AOTC... and then our kids talking about how Anakin gets angry and so on and so on... and finally, with ROTS our kids would freak out and not believe he fell to the "dark side" (of course I'd explain the Empire is in fact good for the galaxy). Then, when that first scene opens on ANH and Vader comes in the impact of WHO he is and the power of his story would be so powerful!

Just my current thoughts...

Ahhh...this is kinda what I'm thinking about.

One thing is showing it to your friends, who just haven't been "converted" earlier....but what about your kids? Kids who have not seen ANYTHING Star Wars related at all, but who is suddenly thrown into this incredible universe. Would you all feel the same way about what order to show the movies? I don't know, for me it might swing both ways, I'm kinda partial to doing the original trilogy first, and THEN go for prequels. But that is purely based on my own perception of things, knowing what I know about how things turn out. I'm not totally convinced it will be the "right" way....

There is only one way to start a Starwars movie marathon, and thats with the Tantive raid. So for me its original trilogy and then the prequels. I really like them all except for the Phantom Menace.

Well,

Thats how I would show them.

Well,

I think beginning with TPM is taking an aweful ris with your audience, they'll probably kick yourself asking you why the hell you're showing them such crap! :D That says a lot on my personal opinion of that movie.

While beginning at ANH, you'll automatically hook them on Star Wars as it was meant to be seen .. with awesome special effect and a great story. After the OT, they'll want to see the PT.

That's how I plan on doing it on my side anyway! :D Hehehe

AMEN

I've thought about this too. An interesting way to do it is start with ANH, it just explains everything so well and is a good introduction. If you wanted to keep as many surprises as possible, you could then jump to TPM, explaining that we are going to find out about young Obi-wan and Luke's father "Anakin". Then going AOTC, ROTS, ANH (if they want) ESB and ROTJ. That is the best way I can think of to keep as many surprises as possible.

I want to make sure everyone knows I agree with the original trilogy first... I just have thought about the other way a lot in lieu of possibly having kids one day. But, I really think I would end up showing them in the original order I saw them and then, after ROTJ saying, "Now we'll get to see how Darth Vader became Darth Vader!!" :)

I think for my friends and people who know a little bit about star wars, but have never seen them the order would be ANH, ESB, ROTJ, TPM, AOTC, ROTS.

For my kids I will show them in episode order so they can get the entire story and not get confused when they watch them backwards.