ROTJ "CFO" TK Build - TK3645

Thanks Stu,

The pics are great and really clear...Any chance you could put up some more pics to show your trim lines for the overlap join (from outside the bicep view...if that makes sense).. ;)

Thanks again.

Edited by TK3645

Bryan, but take care on trimming the biceps. Depending on the cirucmstances of your biceps the trimming line can be vary.

Cheers

Chris

• Like 1

Bryan, but take care on trimming the biceps. Depending on the cirucmstances of your biceps the trimming line can be vary.

Cheers

Chris

Thanks for the warning mate, I'm just needing some more visual confirmation before I commit to the cutting  ;)

Can anyone confirm if the screen accurate ROTJ drop box connecting white elastic width is the same as ANH i.e. 25mm or is it 20mm? And what is the accurate way of attaching to the inner boxes i.e. riveting, glue etc.

Thanks

25mm white elastic hanging from the rivet holding the belt on (elastic behind the web belt and between the abdomen) and then glued to the inner drop box. I remember seeing a rivet holding the strap on in one photo so either will be fine or even do both :)

• Like 1

25mm white elastic hanging from the rivet holding the belt on (elastic behind the web belt and between the abdomen) and then glued to the inner drop box. I remember seeing a rivet holding the strap on in one photo so either will be fine or even do both :)

Thanks Paul, Would it be stelmax glue that would of been used to attach to the inner boxes?

It's possible they used the same adhesive for the limbs but I couldn't say for sure. Remember these were just costumes for a film and not a great deal of care was used when building them. Too bad there isn't much reference material available for the ROTJ armour to really dig in and find out all the answers.

• 2 weeks later...

Need some help with confirming which elastics are used and where they are placed on the suit to replicate the original strapping..So far I have the following Black elastics -

2x 25mmx120mm
2x 30mmx125mm
2x 30mmx125mm (with Velcro on end)
4x 20mmx160mm
2x 25mmx160mm
2x 30mmx250mm
6x 50mmx160mm
1x 50mmx160mm (with Velcro on the end)
2x 10mmx120mm

and White elastic 25mm x 2 for the drop boxes.

Going from the strapping diagram supplied by Mark (CFO) and looking at original suit pictures I can see -

10mm x 2 is used for the Handguards?

50mm x 6 is used to  a) 2 lengths to connect Chest to Ab section

b  2 lengths to connect Chest to Back (one side both elastics)

c) 2 lengths to connect Rear to Abs piece (one side both elastics)

50mm x 1 (Velcro end) to connect Rear to Abs (other side)

25mm x 2 - Helmet chin strap (Not quite sure to use the 120mm or 160mm)

30mm  x 2 125mm ? 

30mm x 2 250mm ? ( Looped for the thigh's?) 

30mm x 2 125mm (Velcro attached) - Think this may be for the Chest to Back connection?

20mm x 4 160mm - ? (2 x Shoulder Bells?)

(2 for ?)

Missing.....Needs confirming which elastic size?

- Rear connection to the Back

- Crotch strap elastic.

- Bicep to forearms.

- Forearm to handplate's

Also the crotch connection popper.... Is the elastic side glued to the AB section? I think it is but wanted to check.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by TK3645

Hi Paul,

Thanks for posting your strapping pictures.

The diagram I commented on was supplied by Mark (CFO) and is very close to what your pics show. I seem to remember some years ago a issue with posting the diagram as it was drawn by a actor who wore the suit in production...Don't know if it's still a secret? Unless Mark say's it's fine to post the picture I think I better not.

The size's of the elastic's are what Mark supplies in the strapping kit...I haven't brought the kit but I have sourced the elastics to recreate the original strapping.

The diagram supplied by Mark doesn't show the size of elastic's used but the general set up...hence the need for the confirmation.

I see your shoulder bells have poppers on elastics..I was under the impression that Velcro was used to attach to the shoulder bridges?

I'm guessing the 25mm elastics are for the shoulder bells (with poppers) and the forearm to handplates? The 8mm for the shoulder bell?

Can I also ask how you are closing your shins...Velcro? Or do you leave then open?

Also what size rivet are you using to attach the shoulder bridge to the chest?

Thanks

Bryan

I think I know which diagram you are referring to. It was drawn by Geri who wore the suit for LFL events and it wasn't exactly correct.

25mm straps for the shoulder bell with the snap, chin strap and hand plate to forearm. 8mm for lower shoulder bell and hand plate palm. All the rest are 50mm. I believe the rivets are 4mm x 10mm with 4mm x 15mm washers. That's what I used and they look an almost perfect match to ones used on the original armour.

• Like 1

since the Star wars costume book came out with pics with the internal strapping things have changed from what I used to use. It was really up to artistic interpretation and what was said by people trying to remember all those years ago before......

Paul's strapping is pretty spot on although I have not seen evidence of poppers under the shoulder straps except on tour suits? If this is the case and Paul has seen this first hand, who am I to argue... I always thought they were secured with velcro under the bridges.

I love all the new discoveries and that's what keeps this hobby fun........

:salute:

• Like 1

The snaps under the shoulder straps are based on Geri's description. No reason for the tour suits to be any different from the movie suits. The few photos I have showing the inside of the ROTJ armour all have curled up shoulder straps so you cannot see if there is a snap or not. It's quite possible the top strap of the shoulder bell is made completely of Velcro and same could be said for the torso where there are Velcro fasteners. I know the ESB MKII suits had Velcro glued directly to the closing side of the armour and used elastic for the opposite side, so it could be the same for the ROTJ too?

Edited by troopermaster