FX armor/SDS helmet build targeting for Centurion approval (shoot for the stars !)

Hello guys,

Ok I guess it's part of the process, spent a good amount of hours looking here, reading, bookmarking, taking notes, trying to follow a budget, printing .pdf etc.. thinking I could do without creating a thread. What was I thinking.. ^^

Here is the situation :

1) I received my FX armor yesterday, trimmed already but not assembled or paint or else

post-23545-0-40978300-1432201056_thumb.jpeg

2) Ordered Hovic Mic from Ukwrath

3) Ordered Canvas Belt from TKittel

4) Ordered RomFX

5) Ordered ANH Handguard latex and gloves from Sonnenchein

6) Will order Blaster Holster from Darman (and maybe the neck seal)

7) Boots will be custom made locally and the blaster will be a props made locally as well.

So yesterday I opened the box to try to figure out how much work I need to do. My target is to get Centurion level approved directly. It is my first build, maybe it is out of my reach but I thought if I have to build what I have now, I should do it the best way I can. I will butt join the armor and only use rivets when required. Basically the Centurion requirements is now my Bible ^^ Do you guys think I am aim too high for a first build ? :blush:

My first question for the helmet. I have two set of ears in the box, quite different in size and shape (for the "leg" part). Which one should I use, the helmet is a Stunt (at least it seems to be to me).

post-23545-0-11469900-1432200948_thumb.jpg

post-23545-0-30101000-1432200950_thumb.jpg

post-23545-0-25828200-1432200954_thumb.jpg

Second question, the helmet again, I got this extra chin piece. I planned to only paint black the helmet, I did not see anywhere else that I have to add that part. Could you please tell me if it is of any use ?

post-23545-0-05427300-1432201181_thumb.jpg

Third question, the lenses. I got two flat green piece of whatever-that-is but they are super stiff. Not like glass but close to be. There is no way I can bend them to fix them properly. So is it suppose to be like this or should I seek for a more suitable material ?

post-23545-0-03216200-1432201342_thumb.jpg

post-23545-0-10154200-1432201344_thumb.jpg

For the rest of the armor and everything else I will post along the process, but if you guys could help me on this first, I would really appreciate it. :icon_beg:

Wow. An SDS helmet kit. We don't see that too often here. I think you have a mix of helmet parts there. The one with the rank bar molded into the center looks like the SDS ear and the one with the separate one looks like an old FX ear as does the vocoder. If you can bend the lens at all, you might be able to immerse it in hot water to soften it enough then lay it into the eye opening for the correct fit.

Now is the bad news.

Sadly, the FX armor can be built and modified to get you as far as EIB only. Without sugar coating anything, there are just too many inaccuracies with the FX armor. I am not even really sure where you got it from because it's not even being made by the original maker any longer for this reason. You can build it and get it 501st approved but if you really are looking for Centurion accuracy, I would seriously consider trading up for a set of one of the other armor a sold here. Let us know your body type and measurement around your belly button middle and we can better direct you.

Thank you for your honest reply Gazmosis. I prefer to know it from the start ! I will nevertheless build it following the Centurion specs and I just get the basic EIB approval, it is ok. But I would like to make it the nicest I can. Also I bought the others part Centurion approveable in case one day I get a better armor.

I got the armor locally (Thailand), this is the combination 90% of the Garrison here is using. Importing an expensive armor here will only make it not affordable for me once the customs apply the taxes. I knew I wasn't getting the best out there but I was really impatient to join the guys and did not plan for a budget, it was kind of an impulsive thing.

For my first armor it will do just fine if I put passion in my build, I believe. I hope I can still get advices from you guys to make this FX the nicest I can. I am also looking for AB plates, the only thread I found is now closed.

Thank you :)

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. We are here to help. It is honorable that you are choosing to march on. That in mind, I will give you this to read: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/12478-howto-easily-make-your-fx-armor-eib-acceptable/

Next I will tell you that the first thing you will need to do is obtain some ABS plastic. One of the things that made the FX armor not aceptable was that it is designed to be built with the halves overlapping each other at the seams. You will need to build it with the seams butted AGAINST each other then the seam is covered with a strip of ABS plastic that I said you were going to need to obtain.

Many thanks Gazmosis. Indeed was going to look for some ABS. I believe I will be able to use the one from the belt (since I ordered the canvas one) but that wouldn't be enough.

I still have an issue with the AB plate though, the one selling the AB kit in your link seems to stopped doing so long ago. The other solutions are only buttons, which I already have (just need a paint).

Thanks again