Hovi mixpa-2 differences! What is what?

Hello mates

I have different mic tips in shape and size here and wanted to know if anybody can say what is what? I ask this because I read in another thread that there were different versions of hovi's used in ROTJ and ANH.

The one in the middle is the newest keith-mic. I duno about the others. The one on the right besides the keith mic looks just bigger but the same in every other detail.

The one on the left looks totally different.

It would be cool to know what I have. Does somebody know? :)

post-506-1207942634_thumb.jpg

Marcus

thx for your reply Paul. So the one on the left might be custom made. Why the other both are another size but the same shape is quite clear to me. If anybody can tell more about the different screen used versions it would be cool know :) Anyway it looks like this thread is dead before it was alive :rolleyes:

thx

Marcus

• 3 months later...
thx for your reply Paul. So the one on the left might be custom made. Why the other both are another size but the same shape is quite clear to me. If anybody can tell more about the different screen used versions it would be cool know :) Anyway it looks like this thread is dead before it was alive :rolleyes:

thx

Marcus

I know this is an older post, but it brings up a question I have about two sets of Hovie mics I have... they appear identicle in every respect, except that one set seems to have a *slightly* (just EVER SO SLIGHTLY) larger opening at the top where the screen goes. I know this because I have a set of screens for the one set, and they fit, but they don't quite fit in the other. Is this because they are different versions?

Weird.......... i was just thinking about this too and never saw this thread B4. I have 3 different styles of tips. One set i got back in 2002 or 2003 and are a tad bigger than stompers. I got another set this year that are a tad smaller than stompers. The detaing of stompers is the best of the 3 styles i have..

I know now that the left one in the picture is an SDS recast. I doubt it's origin is from on original.

As far as I know the one in the middle from Keith has the original size of ANH tips.

The one on the right is possibly an ROTJ tip. Me was told they were bigger. And I hardly believe at least some tour helmets had bigger tips attached also! This bigger tip came with an MFX helmet from Guidon Messika. He has a tour helmet and probably casted the tips off of it.

Marcus

The two sets I have appear the same, but one set is just slightly larger. They both have the "Hovi Mix" embossed lettering. I should add that I *used* to have two sets... while inspecting them just now I dropped one (of the smaller ones) and broke the rim off the top edge. Grr, mumble, hiss, growl. Oh, well, at least I still have the set that came to me with the helmet, and I think they are the nicer ones anyway.

The size difference is not in any way significant, and I doubt anyone would ever know without actually inspecting them... in fact I didn't notice until I tried to put the screen from one into the other. I expect they're just two different versions of the same microphone tip.

the actual screenused part still is one of the biggest mysteries and definatly THE most wanted original part beside the E-11 cylinders in the Star Wars prop community.

Keith casted his directly from TE´s original ANH helmet mic tips, as far as i know...

all common versions aren´t accurate, but Keith´s new version is the closest...

XVLYchj.jpg

(Keith, if you want me to remove this picture, just let me know!)

Edited by gmrhodes13
photos updated gmrhodes13 2021

RoCKo said:

the actual screenused part still is one of the biggest mysteries and definatly THE most wanted original part beside the E-11 cylinders in the Star Wars prop community.

Keith casted his directly from TE´s original ANH helmet mic tips, as far as i know...

all common versions aren´t accurate, but Keith´s new version is the closest...

(Keith, if you want me to remove this picture, just let me know!)

And how do I get a couple sets of these bad boys? I've been trying to get ahold Keith for a while now.