My first build - ROTJ Trooper

Crisis averted

Maybe do some work on one of your fore arms, generally an easier part to start on, trust me your confidence is going to grow rapidly, the more you get into the trimming.

Ā 

Ā 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

They are completely asymmetric. So if it looks wonky it looks right...... Trust me.

Ā 

Once you have it assembled put it up to a mirror and have a look at the shape then... You will be amazed how wrong it looks as we are used to the orientation of the asymmetry we see normally..... Try it!

Ā 

:shok:

• Like 3

So when I clamp up my sides, i end up with a gap between the brow and the forehead - is this normal/acceptable? It seems to be the only way to have the sides join tightly.

IMG_0794_zpssixtu8sm.jpg

Ā 

IMG_0792_zpsj4r13xsk.jpg

IMG_0795_zps0pzuqfn4.jpg

Ā 

Just wondering if I am best to glue to top - brow and temples first, while keeping the bottom clamped, then gluing the bottom half at the cheek? I thought that may help keep the brow closer and also reduce the gap at the bottom of the cheeks. My other option was to glue a pice of ABS to the cheek where I am getting some gappage before glueing the two half together - any tips?

How much have you got on the top of the face plate? You can trim it down to about 1 1/2-2" this may help in getting the the orientation better. I don't glue the forehead or brow.

I use ratchet clamps. The large ones I feed through the eyes and clamp the ear areas. Then manipulate the it so no gaps and use small Ratchet clamps to grip the bottom of the two halves so no gaps. It takes a bit of wrestling but I have always got them together with no gaps showing. The ears will cover to a certain extent.

Edited by sskunky
  • Like 1

Right - I haven't trimmed any off the top of the face plate - that's probably what's not helping - interesting that you don't glue to top part of the faceplate. Glad I read that first -

I'm looking at the ears now. Looking at the reference pics they're a fairly low profile - what's duftig? I am guessing you're having a great time with them?

:blink:

I got a 2nd pair from Mark which was already cutted because I messed up the 1st pair Ć°ÅøĖœĀ¢Ć°ÅøĖœĀ¢Ć°ÅøĖœĀ¢ actuslly I need 1 hour to adapt the left ear

Edited by K@nne
  • Like 1

I think it is ok but Not 100% perfect, have some small gab's but the original helmets were far away from perfect

20150524_105718_006_zps1vdoyx83.jpg

Edited by K@nne

Left side is a bit trickier to get right - I've glued the left ear down, and trimmed the right one but have a few gaps here and there - will try glueing and cramping tomorrow.

Left side is a bit trickier due the the back of the faceplate tube being a bit rough. I may smooth it out on the mould one day but that's how it was straight out of the mould of the of the Oakley helmet.

• Like 1