TK-? My AP build

Don't paint the crotch rivet. And for the AP armor, I've notice that the Tamya white glossy paint matches the color of the armor the best.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Thighs look good on you, well done. And if you need to lean forward after putting them on, try to twist them outwards before ;). Just one piece of advice, your front cover stripes are a bit too long, they should end just before the bottom ridge:

061_th10.jpg

About the Snipper knee plate. When you position it on the shin making sure the ridges are lining up, it will look crooked. But once fully suited, it will become a lot less noticeable, as you can see here for example. Off course, you can soften the left hand ridge of the SKP to correct that but honestly, don't feel like you have to do it.

Here's the spot i softened up, to be able to bring this side a little bit up:

1cc010.jpg

Thighs look good on you, well done. And if you need to lean forward after putting them on, try to twist them outwards before ;). Just one piece of advice, your front cover stripes are a bit too long, they should end just before the bottom ridge:

061_th10.jpg

Do I need to cut off the last inch of the front strip?  On the right leg, it will be hidden anyway.

You don't have to. It won't stop you from Centurion, but it'd be better, that's all. I was just mentionning it for you but also for future readers.

Ok. That's a relief :)

I noticed on your pic that you trimmed a lot of the back ridge on the thighs... That made them shorter and surely helps you walk or bend down better. Right?

I noticed on your pic that you trimmed a lot of the back ridge on the thighs... That made them shorter and surely helps you walk or bend down better. Right?

I'm sorry, i don't see which picture you're referring to.

Ah ok. In fact this picture isn't from me, this is "Clamps" from his EIB application. 

And yes, he indeed remove almost all of the bottom thigh ridges. This is perfectly fine and it will ease your walking if your on the short side of the height frame.

vlcsna18.jpg

Edited by The5thHorseman

Well hello Empire!

A bit of work done this morning.  I decided to finish the work on the right thigh.  So I riveted the battery pack in place. I used double-capped rivets like these:

067.%20Double%20cap%20rivets_zpsghrv55th

At first, I tried to hammer it in using a punch and a hammer (duh!). But the angle was so bad I ended up crooking the rivet itself. I was scared it would break off but I managed to fix it a wee bit. Next I tried with vices. You need the kind with a c-shape end... not one with the cutter in-between (of course!).  And so...

Double-cap rivet from the outside and the inside:

067a.%20Battery%20pack%20mounted_zpsxovr067b.%20Battery%20pack%20from%20the%20in

BUT, before putting on the 2nd rivet, I added a little piece of industrial-strength velcro at the bottom of the front ridge, and inside the battery pack. This should prevent it from flapping up and down if it turned out to be a little loose.

067c.%20Battery%20pack%20with%20velcro_z

And voilà... Fully assembled right thigh:

067d.%20Finished%20thigh-battery%20pack%

I also painted the rivets on the battery pack and the ab/kidney pieces (yes Eric... I left the crotch rivet as is). Although it'll need a 2nd coat when it's dry.

So, what do I have left to join the Legion?  Glue the Sniper Knee Plate. That's it!  I'm almost there!

FINISH LINE LIST:

For Legion membership:

- Battery pack on right thigh

- Sniper plate on left greave

- Paint the ab/kidney/thigh rivets white

- Take pictures and apply for membership

For Centurion level:

- Paint the tube stripes (i.e. paint over the current decals)

For trooping:

- Install Echo's fan system in the bucket (when it arrives)

- Install the iComm/acker system in the chest

- Install padding in the bucket

- Velcro on boots/greaves to prevent them from spinning

Cheers!

Edited by Somatophylax

Hello again,

I wanted to make a post about accessories. Aside from the armour and blaster... there are other things all good TKs need. So here's my tribute to:

- Gloves

- Boots

- Garter belt

- Imperial-issue socks

- Aker/iComm/throat mic set

- Neckseal

068.%20Accessories_zpsiz9b4nke.jpg

All hail... the accessories!

:smiley-sw013:

• Like 1

Hello,

I had a VERY busy weekend with my other costuming group specialized in historical re-enactment (mostly vikings) - It's them here:  http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/31514-festival-du-film-des-riverains/

And I had my daughters with me for father's day during that viking weekend. Now... back to the Empire!

I finished making all the snaps for the ab/kidney/crotch-butt plates.

069.%20Final%20ab-kidney%20snaps_zpsgyft

And... drumroll please.......  The initial glue with the Sniper Knee Plate!  I just glued the middle after determining again and again the best position in order to facilitate the 2 sides after. It's crooked by I don't care because that's what we have to endure with that EVIL piece of equipment.  To be continued tomorrow.

070.%20Sniper%20Knee%20Plate_zpsyxlyxa8v

Again, the Sniper Knee Plate is the final thing in order to apply to the Legion. 

Cheers  :smiley-sw013:

Edited by Somatophylax

Good evening Empire!

Well... The final stage of armour-building has started. After glueing the central part of the Sniper Knee Plate last night, I now glued both wings. I had to buy locking clamps to do it because the regular spring clamps I had kept sliding out of position. Now, when I remove the clamps tomorrow, I wonder what will happen. Will it stay or will it pop off?

070a%20Final%20glue_zpshbsxpyxd.jpg

From both sides now. The left looks good and is the most visible anyway. The right is less perfect, but it will have to do otherwise I'll be pissed.

070b.%20Side%20view_zps1hemj1pe.jpg070c.%20Other%20side_zpsweokuxew.jpg

And now that "building" and glueing is done... I decided to attach the aker/iComm system in the chest.

071.%20Aker-iComm%20system%20attached_zp

I've made a few tests, with both the throat mic I got and the one that came with the aker. I can say I cannot find an easy way to use it well. It seems I need to speak loudly enough for it to pick up my voice. As for the throat mic, it works 100% well only if I hold it tight with my hand. Otherwise it won't pick up my voice half the time. I don't know yet if I just haven't found the right place on my neck or if it's because I have a skinny neck and the mic is not tight enough. I'll have to experiment some more. But this is kind of annoying. I hope I'll figure it out before my first trooping on July 4-5th.

I also got a postal notice today that my order from Echo (his bucket fan system) has arrived. So I'll pick that up tomorrow after work,

So, this Wednesday is a holiday here in Quebec. If I can get someone to help me, I will do my Legion application pictures.  YESSSSS!!!!!!!!!

FINISH LINE LIST:

For Legion membership:

- Sniper plate on left greave

For Centurion level:

For trooping:

- Install the iComm/acker system in the chest

Cheers!

For the throat mic, are you testing it under your neck seal?  I found that the seal gives enough pressure on the mic to keep it flush to my throat.  Also, I'm really only using one of the two transceivers on the mic, and it's pressed high and close to center like right next to my larynx.  That seems to work well for me.

• Like 1

Hello fellow troopers!

What a beautiful day! And tomorrow is a holiday here in Quebec.

So... What's in the news today?  I received Echo's fan system. It is now in my bucket. It fits so nicely I don't even think it needs velcro. And I can hide the battery packs behind it.

072.%20Fan%20system_zps9lb6tq3j.jpg

Then, I decided to install the helmet pads inside. But I came across a problem. You see, when I put the bucket on, my eyes are already leveled with the bucket's eyes. So as soon as I put a single pad in the top (inside), my eyes wouldn't go higher than the nose of the bucket. So, unless the pads I got are too thick (they are regular air-soft pads), then I got them for nothing maybe.  But, I decided to place a few, mainly above each ear and near the forehead. That helps the bucket remain snug on my head and prevent it from wobbling.

072a.%20Padding_zpsf5bzbk2v.jpg

And now... the moment you've been waiting for for the last 2 days... the Sniper Knee Plate experiment!  I removed the locking clamps and, with a huge sigh of relief, the plate remained in place. Like I said yesterday, it's not perfectly aligned on the right (which is between the legs), but the left side looks great I think (and that's the side that shows more from other people's point of view).

073.%20Final%20Left%20greave%20with%20sn073a_zpstnskn3ae.jpg073b_zps5ch7fata.jpg

YES!!!!  My armor is officially completed for Legion membership!  Tomorrow, my friend will pass by, help me don the full suit, and we'll take all the pictures I need for Legion, EIB, and Centurion applications.

FINISH LINE LIST:

For Legion membership:

For Centurion level:

For trooping:

Cheers!

Edited by Somatophylax
  • Like 1

Here you go fellow troopers!   My application (with pics) has been submitted. I'm waiting now.

01.%20Front%20-%20arms%20at%20side_zpsnz

02.%20Back%20-%20Arms%20at%20side_zpsbbk

08.%20Action%20shot%201_zpsigqsyngi.jpg

08.%20Action%20shot%202_zpsytcjtojg.jpg

With my special Emperial-issued lunchbox

Funny%20shot_zpsyvdstw2u.jpg

Thank you all for your support, your help, your suggestions!  Can't wait to go trooping with you!

31.%20Helmet%20off%202_zpsg5vrggcf.jpg

ZERT

ZERT%20Shot_zpsmeeme66s.jpg

FINISH LINE LIST:

For Legion membership:

For trooping:

Cheers!

Edited by Somatophylax
  • Like 1

This is the standard bin . . . 

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Stanley-37-in-Mobile-Job-Box-037025H/202300294

They seem to be discontinuing them, so you might be able to get a good deal on one, if you can find one at all.

Nicely done, good luck with your application!

One thing you could do while waiting, would be to bend those shoulder bridges at the back. One minute in boiling water is enough to soften them enough to do that and has practically no chance of warping.

Also your chest plate sits a bit low on you, the nipple line should be around mid-shoulder bells. I know it's not that easy to modify but that would nicely improve your overall look ;).

dsc_0610.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions.  I'm not sure how I would proceed with the boiling water thing now that the bridges are glued to the chest.  I tried it in the past and got a slight curve out of them. But not as much as I had hoped.

As for the chest, I'll try to put it on higher, and have the back a bit lower at the same time. The top opening depends really on how much I need to be able to pass my head through the hole. I tried with a shorter chest/back connection, but my head wouldn't fit.  Next time I can put on the armor, I'll check it out.

Will your head fit through turned sideways (like when you put on your bucket)?

Also, I know people are deathly afraid of heat guns, but you could use that (just be careful!).  Or you might not even need heat at all.  Just bend them a bit by hand, gently and slowly over time.  It's ABS . . . it'll eventually bend.  Especially that part since it's thin.  I'm pretty sure that's all I did . . . maybe after blasting for a few seconds with a heat gun.

Hey, I was just looking over your build and I noticed you mentioned replacing your tube stripes with paint (or painting over them) for Centurion.  As you know, I painted mine, but this is NOT necessary.  The tube stripes are the one part that does NOT need to be hand painted (or use hand painted-like decals).  Not trying to discourage you, because it'll look great, but just in case you don't want to do it just now.  Just one less thing for you to worry about!

From the CRL . . . 

• Tears/traps shall be hand painted or use decals that emulate hand painted (with correct ANH TK details).

Hi

I was sure the tube stripes had to be.  But you are right... The CRL for Centurion only specifies the other areas (the grey ones)... not the tube stripes.  Yeeehhh!!  One major thing I won't have to do!  Thanks for the intel.

• Like 1

So... Here's another puzzle for you more experiences builders.  I am trying to put in the darker, more solid green film that I got from Trooperbay instead of the light flimsy one that came with the suit.  So I drew a template with a piece of paper, then added about a centimeter extra, and cut them. I them wrapped the edges with hockey tape.

074.%20Darker%20lenses_zps8izlqnmm.jpg

But here's my problem. That lens is so stiff it won't let me put it in the bucket. No amount of tape will force it into the curved surface inside. It will just pop out after a few seconds.  So now I'm stuck.

Any suggestions?

Edited by Somatophylax