M38 Scope Screws

sla73

Hi All,

This is my first post in the FISD! Hello from Sydney Australia.

I am starting my build of a E-11 DD, getting all the bits a pieces together etc. and I have managed to get a pretty good M38 scope locally here in Australia. The only problem it is missing one of the 3 screws on the front of the scope.

I know this may be a long shot, but I am hoping that there may be a spare floating around. If not , if anyone has some info on the screw itself I would appreciate it, looking for size is it a cheese head or fillister etc.

Cheers sla73.

P.S I have Tino’s set for the DD build and the crews are too coarse a thread.

I found some similar screws but the cheesehead on it is lightly too big. I put it in the dremel and filed it to the correct diameter and it looks really close to a real scope screw. I will check he threads when I get home today buti think they were fine threaded.

Hi,
Well I have done some measurements and a bit of research. Bulldog 44, like you say I’m pretty sure that the we are looking at a slotted cheese head bolt/screw, I think it’s an imperial or a US measurement.. not sure.. anyway

1/12 inch thread
8/12 inch long
2/12 inch unthreaded bit close to the head

Here are a couple of pics..

9aSvzZM.jpeg

i3JH0z7.jpeg
gmeTEq4.jpg

Cheers Bryn

Here are the screws I am using. Sorry they do not have the unthreaded part as the originals. Plus I had to grind the heads down in size to get it to match my real scope screws. Let me know if these might work for you.

Here are the measurements after I filed it to size

Head diameter: 4.5~4.7mm

Head thickness: 2mm

Threaded part length: 8mm

Can't give you the exact threading size but I can see about 2-3 threads per millimeter. Quite fine threads.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you can use one of these or not.

Brian.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi There,

A quick update, no real luck at the clock repairer. He said that the thread could be a 7BA screw. Not sure if this is correct..

Anyway back to the hunt!

Cheers..

Back Again,

So, it seems like I was given a bum steer by the clock repair guy.. He has just come back to me with the following..

"The screw is close to 7BA. In fact I think it ended up being closer to 8BA. Even so as close as it was it was slightly different in the pitch which made me consider it was a metric thread."

So looks like a fine metric thread.. I will keep looking I guess..

Cheers

Back Again,

So, it seems like I was given a bum steer by the clock repair guy.. He has just come back to me with the following..

"The screw is close to 7BA. In fact I think it ended up being closer to 8BA. Even so as close as it was it was slightly different in the pitch which made me consider it was a metric thread."

So looks like a fine metric thread.. I will keep looking I guess..

Cheers

I'm not convinced the screw is a metric thread. These come from a US WW2 Tank, which doesn't lead me to automatically think metric.. but hey, who knows where they were manufactured.

Edited by Dday
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Guys,

Well I know it has been a while since my last post, I've been waiting on some screws from the UK.

So, I managed to find some 8 BA 1/4" steel cheese head screws from a place called BA Bolts www.ba-bolts.co.uk.

They are close to the originals, but if you look in the pictures you will see that the head are slightly smaller and the thread is slightly different, the 8 BA looks a bit bigger.. Anyway I put them in the scope and they fit fine, the one in the middle was a bit tight..

They look okay, I'm not 100% happy, anyway you be the judge and check out the pics. Here is a link http://imgur.com/a/ciOqS

Cheers sla73.