cheap snaps

http://www.zackwhite.com/

Has anyone ordered from here??? Tandy leather sells 100 pack, 5/16" post, line 24 snaps for $65...this site has the same for $14???????????????????   $3/dozen compared to Tandy at $7 for 10???????

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

I'd be interested to know. I've been going through snaps like crazy! (multiple projects)

Not saying this is what you are doing, but through experience.

If you are using the basic tool for snaps(base part and centre part that flattens the middle piece), don't over flatten it.

There are two different types of centre punch you can buy. One is simply round and tappers, the other actually is almost square and tapers.

The square is the better of the two as it allows the centre part to split in four directions instead of just squash it down. This better secures the front to the backing and is much harder to rip one out of your armour, fabric, elastic etc.

Hope this makes sense .

If not I can take a photo of the one I use and post it in this thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Andrew, It's not that I'm ruining the snaps (I've figured a good 5 hammerings gets a good snap bounded), it's that I'm using a lot with various projects I have going on. But I didn't know that about the rounded vs squared anvil. All the boundings I've done did the round taper thing. 

And as is, I'm running out of snaps, so I don't want to go and experiment without more snaps. But I'm willing to try something that has better security!

• Like 1

Steer WELL CLEAR of the Wal-Mart snaps, Kal.  They are crazy cheap for a reason.  They are, well, cheap.  I used these at first, trying to save some money, and ended up having to replace every single one.  On a side note, I learned something from a Centurion friend that helped me out a lot, (thanks, Gary)!  Instead of gluing the female part of the snap on to small ABS plates, (they kept popping off) and then onto your armor, I permanently attached the female snap to a piece of 1 inch wide Nylon strap, and then used Hobby Linc CA glue to attach that to the armor.  Problem solved.  Completely! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I checked the link Steve put up... $13.95 for a set of 100 snaps.

Shipping? $16.00 from NC to IL (seems to be a flat rate)

Still cheaper than $65,. but not quite the deal it seems if the shipping is more than the product. Now, if you order a ton of items, that may change.