Supply list for your OT TK build....

Duly noted and added, Dan.  Thanks!!!  The reason I put "Attempted" in the original post is that I am always looking for suggestions/input like yours, which will hopefully make life a bit easier for those starting out.

Edited by justjoseph63
  • Like 1

Awesome Joseph, and let me just say (as I was completely derelict in my other post) that this list is amazing.  I only wish I had this available to me when I started my build.  Great job!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I suppose in theory it could be done, Adam, but to be honest, it would probably be more trouble than it is worth.  You would have to seal the edges of the cut strips to keep them from fraying, and I am not certain what this would do to the integrity of the elastic.  You can pick up the 1 inch wide elastic at any craft store, such as Michael's, Joanne Fabrics, or even Wal-Mart for fairly cheap, as you are not going to need a lot of it.  I would seriously recommend the soldering/wood burning gun I listed on the post to put the holes in it, though.  It not only seals the edges of the holes, but makes them wide enough to put the snap centers through.  Hope this helps, and if you have any more questions, just let me know.

As for any left-overs, you can always offer them up to others on here who may need some... "Troopers helping Troopers".

alright thanks to the list i went ahead and ordered magnets, velcro 15x2 (hope its enough easily the most expensive),white 2 inch elastic for chest to backplate i think, and 1 inch elastic for shoulder bells another white velcro for legs

now i just have to figure how to trim the thighs

Edited by Comfy Turtle

This should finally help me get my butt kicked into gear on building. Currently setting up a work area in my garage and getting a space heater for this next cold months to get building. I already got my big brown box, and my E-11 blaster, just need all the extra bits to get this rollin'.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Question on the magnets. You say a 10mm x 3mm. I bought Magcraft 9.5 mm x 3.2mm and they just seem small. Did I buy the right size? They look like the size of a Tylenol tablet... Just trying to make sure I get the right tools needed to help me with my build. Thank you in advance and thank you for this awesome supply list!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My apologies, Carl!  Let me say that my knowledge of the Metric system is flawed, to say the least, and thank you for catching the fact that my measurements were off.  What it should have read is 20 mm (2 CM) wide.  I will change that immediately, and for the inconvenience I will mail you a set of 10 the correct size at no charge.  Please PM me your info. and I will get them in the post as soon as possible.  Thanks again for pointing that out!!!!

• 1 month later...

Novice question:  I see some build threads mention using Chicago Screws.  I know I can find these at Tandy.  But I didn't exactly see how they were used in the build or what size screws were needed.  

The Chicago screws I use are 7/16ths wide, and the shank is about 3/16ths long.  You will need 3 for attaching the ABS ammo belt to the canvas belt, (the female end goes through the front of the ammo belt, and is covered by the button plates).  The others, (2 or 4, depending on which build you are doing) are used to attach the holster to the canvas belt.  Most holster makers supply these, though. and some armorers include the ones for the belt.

Thanks Joseph!  So, the Chicago screws are used in place of the pop rivets.  I know I have a lot more research to do, but can these be used interchangeably or is one more required than the other?

Some use pop rivets (permanent) on the belt, but since I have to change out the ammo (ABS) belt when switching back and forth from HWT to TK, the Chicago screws work better for me.  (The canvas TK belt is white and clean, and the HWT one is "weathered").

There is a sale on packs of 10 line 24 snaps at Tandyleather.ca at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! Question though.. Is Black plated the type I buy? And JustJoseph says at least 30. So buy 40?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Purchasing 30 will give you a few extra for a normal build, allowing for a few "oops" moments, and 40 certainly wouldn't hurt to have on hand.  As for the color, you can use whatever one you wish.... nickel, chrome or black...there is no requirement, as they are not seen.