Supply list for your OT TK build....

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome, Dominic! Use this link http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/11538-the-various-types-of-armor-and-where-to-find-them/ to find a list of all the vetted armorers you can use.

This site is a recent popular location:

http://www.anovos.com

• 2 weeks later...

I'm planning on using the Anovos strapping to get the spacing and everything down...and then swapping out the pieces for snaps as I work through the armor.  That way you don't have to re-adjust glued on snap plates and can get the best feel for how things fit without looking like a member of the Blue Man group.

Question about the Line 24 Snaps.  I've recently seen that Tandy has changed the design of their snaps.  They're stamped to say "Tandy" on the backs and I think fronts now.  Does this matter?  You don't see the snaps anyways, right?  

Someone said that the new Tandy snaps were unusable.  I want to know if this is true before I put in an order.

• Like 1

So VERY glad you are replacing the Velcro with snaps, Jason!  Those who don't may will end up having pieces fall off, and probably at inopportune times.  Velcro only lasts so long.

As for the Tandy stamp on the snaps, I can't foresee a problem with it, as like you said, no-one can see them anyway!

Any idea how often the snaps go on sale?  I know a few weeks ago they had them half off on the website.  

I'm most likely going the 100 snap route so I can double snap the body and more important pieces, and single snap things like the shoulder bells, arms, thighs, etc.

From what I've heard, it's best to Google Tandy line 24 snaps.  This will bring you to sites and sales not readily available if you go straight to their site.  Glad to hear you are going for the double snap system!  Yes, it takes a bit longer and is a bit pricier, but you will feel more secure knowing that things won't pop off unexpectedly.

Edit:  I am sure you have heard it before, but make SURE you purchase quality snaps.  On my first build, I "cheaped out", and ended up replacing every single one.  Not a job I would recommend.

Last question, I promise....I'm reading about screen accurate builds as far as screws, rivets, and snaps.

Do you have a list of what screws, rivets, and snaps are necessary for things like:  Helmet Ears, Ab/Kidney connection, Cod/Butt connection, TD clips, Belt armor to cloth, and Belt cloth to Ab Plate.

I'm trying to get a comprehensive list going to see what is recommended to be replaced from the Anovos kit, but it's hard to piece this stuff together.  I'm looking at Centurion suggested fixes for accuracy.

Edited by E_Palpatine

I think your best bet would be to not only check out, but study Tony's (ukswrath) incredible Anovos build thread located here: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/35086-ukswraths-anovos-tk-build/page-1

He is building it to Centurion level right out of the box, and everything (including a materials list) is explained in detail.  Note that he is using the "classic" (movie accurate) strapping system, but there are many builds on here that use nylon straps.  My buddy Jeff (wingnut65) has a great diagram (below) that shows the placement of snaps/rivets, etc.  If you need any further clarification, just ask!

1770109196_092-wingnutssnaps_zps0jufehiv.thumb.jpg.a53f8adc44ec1e61214cbd46a72af22d.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated
  • Like 3

Gotcha!...I reached out to Ukswrath about what he used...as I know he had a mix of Anovos pieces and others.  He has mentioned that he is one who approves Centurion Applications and they always recommend changing this and that...and It would be the recommended, most accurate list that I'd be interested in seeing...so we'll see what he says.   

It gets confusing when people are throwing out Line 24's, S Poppers, Chicago screws, Split rivets, speed rivets, slot head screws, pan head screws, V head screws, etc.  Especially when it gets to the size/length of some of these pieces.  Thanks for your help!

Edited by E_Palpatine

So VERY glad you are replacing the Velcro with snaps, Jason!  Those who don't may will end up having pieces fall off, and probably at inopportune times.  Velcro only lasts so long.

As for the Tandy stamp on the snaps, I can't foresee a problem with it, as like you said, no-one can see them anyway!

Only thing I would mention here is if going for Centurion, three male snaps should be visible...male snap in upper right ab corner and two male snaps on butt plate. So there you might be picky with having snaps without the text.

Just wanted to get your opinion on strapping material as I have heard two different approaches. Should the material that holds the armour together (the back plate and kidney for example) be nylon webbing or black elastic? I thought nylon webbing but I have heard people say elastic for flexibility. The worry I have is elastic my have too much give and leave extra space between the armour.

Just wanted to get your opinion on strapping material as I have heard two different approaches. Should the material that holds the armour together (the back plate and kidney for example) be nylon webbing or black elastic? I thought nylon webbing but I have heard people say elastic for flexibility. The worry I have is elastic my have too much give and leave extra space between the armour.

This is mostly a matter of personal preference. I have elastic everywhere but I think I might switch my back to kidney to nylon. Elastic just gives you some flexibility.

I personally went with nylon for all the torso connections, and have had no real problem with flexibility.  My main concern was the gap issues.  If you do decide to use elastic, be sure to double over the ends before attaching the snaps, as they will tear out after a while from the constant snapping and unsnapping from disassembling your armor.

I'm planning on using the Anovos strapping to get the spacing and everything down...and then swapping out the pieces for snaps as I work through the armor.  That way you don't have to re-adjust glued on snap plates and can get the best feel for how things fit without looking like a member of the Blue Man group.

Question about the Line 24 Snaps.  I've recently seen that Tandy has changed the design of their snaps.  They're stamped to say "Tandy" on the backs and I think fronts now.  Does this matter?  You don't see the snaps anyways, right?  

Someone said that the new Tandy snaps were unusable.  I want to know if this is true before I put in an order.

It's a little late, but I wanted to point out one thing: As lucnak pointed out, there are only three snaps visible from the outside: The two on the butt plate, and the one male snap in the corner of the ab plate. For those three, I'd go to eBay or something to do whatever you can to find the "old style" Tandy snaps, which had no printing on them. You really won't want to see "TANDY" printed over those snaps, and I don't think those doing approvals would think very highly of it, either.

Other than those, though, the newer Tandy snaps work perfectly for snap plates. In fact, on all interior snaps, the bottom of the male snap plate is underneath the plate, so it's the part that gets glued to your armor, making it impossible to see! So not a problem at all, to use the new style, for all interior snaps.

• 1 month later...

First of all, thanks Joseph for setting this up! Lot of really great info here.

If anyone can fill in the following for 100% (as far as we know) screen accuracy, it would be much appreciated. Also please feel free to add things! If it's not on or related to something on the list though, please add to the bottom and/or differentiate what you have added somehow (bold, color, italic, caps etc. Thanks in advance guys!

1. Bracket system (chest➡️ab/back➡️kidney➡️butt (6 for each connection)). from the originator of this thread - $45 (including the elastic for those)

2. Rivet set (left side of clamshell (3), cod (1), also from this person - $3

3. Snaps (shoulders (2), ab➡️Belt (2) (or 1?), butt (2), right side (believe it's 1 as seen on Han, if I'm wrong, please correct!)

Are these all the same size?????

4. Hooks (6) - $5 (in NYC, prob cheaper elsewhere)

5. Elastic (most people have a minimum of a yard which should be enough of each size for one suit build, again, correct if wrong)

White

Under plastic shoulder straps = WIDTH? (Or if not elastic please let me know)

Calf (with hooks) = WIDTH?

Black

Shoulder➡️Shoulder strap (2 pieces, with snaps) = WIDTH?

Shoulder ➡️ Bicep = WIDTH? (Glued on both bottom of shoulder and top of bicep right?)

Bicep➡️Forearm = 2" (inches)? I've seen that somewhere

Kidney➡️Ab (3 left and 1 right) = WIDTH?

Cod (1)= WIDTH?

Calf (6) = WIDTH?

Thighs (2) = 3" (inches) width, I'm told

Then there are the ammo pack rivets/ caps that come with the aforementioned rivet set, detonator, belt, etc which I didn't want to get too into, but I'm sure other people would appreciate any other advice.

Thanks again all!!!

It's a little late, but I wanted to point out one thing: As lucnak pointed out, there are only three snaps visible from the outside: The two on the butt plate, and the one male snap in the corner of the ab plate. For those three, I'd go to eBay or something to do whatever you can to find the "old style" Tandy snaps, which had no printing on them. You really won't want to see "TANDY" printed over those snaps, and I don't think those doing approvals would think very highly of it, either.Other than those, though, the newer Tandy snaps work perfectly for snap plates. In fact, on all interior snaps, the bottom of the male snap plate is underneath the plate, so it's the part that gets glued to your armor, making it impossible to see! So not a problem at all, to use the new style, for all interior snaps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

9 months with the FISD, and I can no longer count the number of times I have used this thread, for myself and for helping other troopers.

Joseph, there's truly not enough thanks in the galaxy for this list and how it is maintained.

Bucket off to you again good sir and thanks none the less for this priceless reference.

Salute and fist bump

Edited by Pyrates
  • Like 3

9 months with the FISD, and I can longer count the number of times I have used this thread, for myself and for helping other troopers.

Joseph, there's truly not enough thanks in the galaxy for this list and how it is maintained.

Bucket off to you again good sir and thanks none the less for this priceless reference.

Salute and fist bump

Very kind words, Aaron.  Thank you!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...