Supply list for your OT TK build....

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the elastic used for? I guess my real question is, why can't you use nylon strapping for those areas just as everywhere else? Could someone maybe post a pic of the inside of their shoulder bells or something so I can get an idea of what this is for? Also, I'll be the first to admit I didn't read all 9 pages. Forgive me if this has been answered.  :smiley-sw013:

Thanks guys

Just as Michael mentioned, there are reasons that elastic is used is some places, especially so you will have range of movement.  I have seen certain builds interchange it with nylon on some joints, but for the most part I use it where I need to.  For areas that need to stay close, i.e. back/kidney connection, I used nylon.  You also need to realize that after a certain number of troops, elastic will begin to lose it's... well... elasticity.   I have replaced the elastic in my shoulder bridges a few times.

Michael, I was in no way bashing how it's done, just trying to understand. That being said, thanks for the advice, both of you. I went to my first troop to spot yesterday (woohoo!!) and was able to inspect a fellow TK's armor. First time I've actually handled armor! It all makes so much more sense now.  :duim:

Great to hear you have a better idea of how the strapping systems work, Ben... sometimes it's much easier when you actually get to see things in person!  For the thigh strapping, there are a few methods, but I have several of Ty's systems, and they work GREAT!  Easy on, easy off, and they will never, ever slip on you.  http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/29991-thigh-garter-system/?hl=%2Bthigh+%2Bstrapping+%2Bsystem

Hey Joseph: Something to perhaps add to your list: The Green welder shields (or similar) that people are using to make replacement lenses for their helmets. Or whatever you may have that's comparable. I've been trying to nail down a link to a specific product, but I've been striking out so far.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Random question in regards to the velcro. I understand the need for white velcro for the calf closures, as it will be slightly visible from outside the armor. Would i run into trouble getting just white velcro? I found a deal. I guess my question boils down to this: does the velcro need to be black to blend with the undersuit anywhere? 

Random question in regards to the velcro. I understand the need for white velcro for the calf closures, as it will be slightly visible from outside the armor. Would i run into trouble getting just white velcro? I found a deal. I guess my question boils down to this: does the velcro need to be black to blend with the undersuit anywhere? 

Anything visible from the outside should blend.  So it depends on where you're planning to use the Velcro, and whether it's on a black or white background.  MOST velcro is entirely hidden under the armor, so color would be irrelevant (use bright orange if that's what you have on hand!), but there are thousands of ways to rig armor, so that might be different for your plans.  If it's visible, even from the side, the better it disappears against the black undersuit, the better.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I personally haven't bought from Trooperbay but have heard nothing but good things about him on the forums. I hope this a little helpful.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Yes it is helpful, thank you. 

Trooperbay is great! Some of the items you can find cheaper locally, but it's a great one stop shop. Plus he's legion member as well.

If you are willing, could you give some examples of what may be cheaper locally? 

If you are willing, could you give some examples of what may be cheaper locally? 

Honestly, MOST things are cheaper locally than TrooperBay ... IF you can find them locally.  Since you asked for a specific example, the "Centurion Strapping Set" is a fantastic way to get nearly all your shopping done in one click.  But if you go to JoAnn's and buy the same strapping yourself, and buy the more esoteric bits directly from the people here that sell them (MrNoStripes hooks, JustJoseph's latex hand guards, Home Depot screws and hardware) you'll pay a fraction of the price.  You just have to be willing and able to sew on a button / sew a straightish line, and/or cut things to size yourself.  Or for another example the paints are MUCH cheaper at your local hobby shop and no shipping, BUT I have yet to find a local hobby shop that carries all the specific colors you need, so it was easier for me to just buy the full set all at once from TB.  Raw plastic is going to be cheaper at your local plastic supply shop... but you'll have to go there, select the right size, thickness, color, plastic type, etc.

Shipping & Handling is also DEFINITELY not free at TB.

That said, there's definitely comfort knowing that the right materials have been preselected.  And I'm supporting a fellow Legion brother.  I don't have to wade through detailed specification on 30 different eBay auction trying to find something with the right specs.  And I don't have to think about options, or drive around to 12 different shops.  So sometimes it's worth paying a premium.

If pennies are tight, shop elsewhere.  If any of the above benefits are worth a slight premium, then shop at TB worry-free.

Personally, I've spent a fair amount of money there... AND I've passed, and gone locally to buy stuff I could have gotten there.  All depends on what I need, how fast I needed it, how flush I was feeling at the time, and how worried I was about product specs.

• Like 2

I think the premium may be worth it for me. With my deficiencies in crafting, I could likely end up buying wrong material(s) more than once or twice if I were to scout for them locally. Likewise, I am short of funds, but I am also short on time to go from store to store and dig through specifications. I will probably order one large order from Trooperbay down the road for most of what I need thereby qualifying for free shipping at TB. Anything else I will manage to find locally (such as the paint). Like you said, supporting a fellow 501st legionnaire is a plus. Thanks again for your time. I have also been skimming your build thread so thank you for taking the time to post that. 

• Like 1

Is Trooperbay a reliable website to get most of these materials/hardware from?

Personally, Trooperbay is actually close to where I live.  It's great to go in there and chat as well.  I've bought a few things from him, holster, belt, decals.  Nothing but good things to say about him.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Looking to order my Humbrol paints but I cant find #5 Grey on there site? Is the #5 Grey supposed to be Dark Admiralty Grey Gloss? That's what Humbrol has listed for #5. Just want to get the right color, if not I'll just get testors.

Never mind I found a post that indicates that it's named "Dark Admiralty Grey Gloss"

Edited by Wodaz

• 5 weeks later...

I would go with a basic gray, satin finish.  Be sure to sand it down (220 grit or finer), clean it thoroughly, and hit it with a coat of primer before painting.  When you get ready to paint, I recommend doing 3 or 4 light coats instead of 2 heavier ones.  Also, allow 10 minutes or so (no more) between coats, otherwise it can cause it not to dry correctly and it will be sticky forever.

• Like 1

Needless to say at this point, but this thread is ridiculously helpful. Does anyone happen to know if the fasteners, clips, straps, etc. included with the strapping kits for ANH TK helmet and armor kits from RS Prop Masters are screen-accurate? If not, for which pieces listed here might I need swap out the RS parts?