Supply list for your OT TK build....

I know eBay isn't super popular on these boards, but I have had pretty good success with Tandy snaps on eBay if purchased in quantity. Example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221622700546

A 100-pack may seem like a lot, but it's not if you're going to do double snaps, which I am. You can always sell a bunch back to the FISD community, since they are cheap to ship. And 40 cents (shipped) for each full snap set is a bargain. I got mine this way, and they are legit.

The setter and single anvil are most affordable if purchased separately as Prime "add-on" items on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003A9I9ZQ

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003A728X2

Under $7 for both.

Bill

Edited by Astyanax
  • Like 1

Hey all! I'm trying to source some decently priced magnets and found some, but there're 10x3mm ones. Would these be okay as well? I can get 100 of them for a total of $5 so I'm really hoping the size its good as well :)

Edited by Bobo

Hey all! I'm trying to source some decently priced magnets and found some, but there're 10x3mm ones. Would these be okay as well? I can get 100 of them for a total of $5 so I'm really hoping the size its good as well :)

I just ordered some 8mm x 1mm neodymium magnets for my helmet build for really cheap. I figured I could just stack them to increase strength. I'll touch base with you and let you know how they work--or maybe someone else on the thread has tried them already?

P.S. *Fistbump* for having the same username.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

Edited by Beaubeaux

Haha that's funny! You must be of French descent? :)

I'm looking at getting these. For $5 with great reviews, I don't think I can go wrong.

--------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed
  • Like 1

If I can offer a word of advice on magnets... If you can't get at least a 20mm (2cm) x 3mm size, you can certainly double or triple them as needed.  I would highly suggest that when you find the right "formula" for strength needed, (2, 3, 4, etc.) to wrap the sets in blue painters' tape.  These things are incredibly strong, and they are danged near impossible to get apart.  This will also prevent them from scratching your armor.

• Like 1

Thank you! Is strength the only issue? I was wondering if surface area is also a concern. Meaning, if the 10x3mm magnets would be too small for some reason compared to the 20x3mm?

I find the wider ones easier to work with, Bartek.  Like I was saying, these things are unbelievably strong, (they can and will actually "jump" several inches across a table to connect), and it takes some practice to keep them apart.  You will need at least 10 large ones or 10 "sets" of smaller ones in order space them out about 3 to 4 inches apart on the seams while gluing the thighs, and 2 inches or so apart on the wists and biceps.  I mentioned wrapping them in blue tape, and you might want to use 2 layers of it.  You honestly can't have too many!

Unfortunately it's very common. They are brittle and they love to come together with a great amount of force. Always buy more than you think you'll need, since the more you have the faster you can build and you will usually have a few casualties along the way. I typically recommend ordering at least 50.

This is one of the reasons I suggest purchasing the larger ones.  Also, there is a great idea by Brandon  for making little "sachets" for the magnets here:http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/31701-how-to-assemble-magnet-sachets/?hl=%2Bmagnet+%2Bsachets.  Looks like it would be a much easier way to pull them apart, rather than breaking a fingernail or using pliers!

Edited by justjoseph63

Mine are the 3/4 X 1/8 inch as suggested in your list. Do you use larger than this? I have been using a plastic spatula to get them apart but now I can see why people would create these bags to put them in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 1/10/2016 at 12:34 AM, THX1978 said:

Mine are the 3/4 X 1/8 inch as suggested in your list. Do you use larger than this? I have been using a plastic spatula to get them apart but now I can see why people would create these bags to put them in.

One thing that works great IMO is hockey tape like this : -----------

It's cloth, so it protects the magnets from breaking but it's tape so it's quite easy to work with. You can leave some extra to make a sort of handle...

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Those sound perfect, Tom, so one on each side of the joint you are gluing should do just fine!

Hi, I am looking to join! I have bought a New EFX anh Helmet. I was just told it's not approvable? Why is that? It looks just like the one from the movie!! Cost me a lot of money. Please tell me why.

Hi Ken..  Believe it or not, there are a LOT of differences in helmets!  There are dozens of individuals and companies that make them, but only a few can be approved by the 501st.  The main reason being accuracy.  Just because it looks similar to what you have seen onscreen, that unfortunately does not mean it has the proper details, sculpting, and size needed.  There are even some sites and auctions (ebay) that list their armor as "501st approvable" when they simply are not.  Not even close.  Your best bet is to return it if you can, and look at the list of "vetted" sellers here http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/11538-the-various-types-of-armor-and-where-to-find-them/ thatmake armor and helmets.

If you should have any questions about armor or helmets, you should try this forum: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/29-hard-armor-general-discussion/, which will help get you answers quicker.  This forum (the one you posted on) is normally for questions about supplies to put a kit together.  Hope this helps, and best of luck on your quest!

Side note:  If you would like to research the differences in helmets, you can check here: http://www.501st.com/databank/Costuming:FISD_CRL

• Like 3

Sounds so hard just ordered a TK armour suit from RS Propmasters! Can't wait to receive it.....however I'm quite nervous building it.....Don't have much DIY skills lol..... :huh:  :blink:

It sounds daunting but trust me, if I can do it, anyone can. The trick is to not get yourself overwhelmed. When you first open the big brown box it's very intimidating and I honestly freaked out a little. If you focus on one section at a time, and don't worry about the rest until you get to them, you'll be perfectly fine.

• Like 1

Because power tools rock!(Followed by the Tim Allen "grunt") Seriously though, during your build you will be trimming your plastic spaceman suit and to speed things up a Dremel comes in handy. It drills, sands, cuts, etc. it is a very versatile tool!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Dremel tools..  is there anything they can't do? (Except for maybe filling out complicated insurance forms).  :P

• Like 2

Tom, you can pick up an inexpensive one (with some accessories) at Harbor freight, http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=rotary+tool, or even a set on ebay, just search Rotary Tool, and they run as cheap as $13.00 delivered.  Unless it is something you will be using a lot after your build, you can get away with buying one if these inexpensive ones, and you can buy any extra needed pieces/attachments at Lowe's or Home Depot.

Edited by justjoseph63

I'm having trouble figuring out what snaps to use for the Ab plate and crotch portion. I understand that the Tandy snaps are for the inner strapping, but the ones on the Ab plate and crotch seem much smaller than the Tandy line 24 5/16 post snaps.