M38 Scope build from DD resin

Squimspickle

I would like to share my Droopy Doo's resin scope build. It ended up being a bigger project then I thought it would. I am happy with the results. I wanted to hollow out the entire scope so I cut the front and back end of the scope off. This made it much easier to hollow out with drill bits, Forstner bits and sandpaper. It also made it easier to create insets for lenses.

Un8rw9y.jpg

I got this tip from Dark CMF's build (thank you) . It's a $10 monocular off of Amazon. Both lenses fit perfectly. It is fairly easy to take apart to remove the lenses. Each lens has a retaining ring that I saved and used to hold the lenses in place in the resin scope. The larger lens was coated with a amberish/reddish anti-reflective coating which was perfect for the blaster.

lWVj6dc.jpg

I painted the inside of the scope black and sealed it all up with Zap-a-Gap. I drilled out the resin screws and replaced them with the appropriate sized slotted steel screws. I then masked off the lenses with painters tape and I was ready for painting.

aTc47i5.jpg

I used Krylon's Metallic Brass spray paint. The lid of the can is a really fakey looking bright brass, so I wasn't sure about it. I sprayed on 2 coats and was really happy with how it actually looked. I wrapped a piece of thread around the inset of the front section of scope so that it would end up looking like 2 separate pieces. I saw this on T-Jay's (thank you) build and loved how it looked. Then I spray painted it a satin black.

H4tELiD.jpg

I weathered it using fine grit sandpaper and a few emery boards. The key is to not overdo it, which is easy to do when your working on one small part of a bigger build. When you think you haven't done enough weathering you should probably stop, lol! I did the crayon trick on the inset lettering. I found that if I slightly heated the scope up with my heat gun that the crayon was easier to work with and wipe off. I then sealed the entire scope with a satin finish clear coat.

aE9phAN.jpg

Below is the finished project! This became a mini project itself , but it was a lot of fun to do.

ugdBMe2.jpg

HFHfyZO.jpg

• Like 9

Have to say I  LOVE  this mod, because its exactly what I had in mind for my next build.

You can be proud of your work. It looks like the real thing :duim:

By the way: the guy who used the wire in that gap on the scope front was me :D

• Like 2

Have to say I  LOVE  this mod, because its exactly what I had in mind for my next build.

You can be proud of your work. It looks like the real thing :duim:

By the way: the guy who used the wire in that gap on the scope front was me :D

Thanks again, man! I've been following the best. 

Edited by Squimspickle
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Amazing work. What did you use to cut the scope in three pieces. I'm wanting to copy your outstanding build. I just ordered the monocular on Amazon.

So did I!!! Gosh, I love this place :)

Thanks for the awesome build thread!!!

• Like 1

Glad I stumbled on this thread. My DD kit hasn't arrived yet, but I've ordered one of those monoculars from a certain auction site for £2.25 , even if it's junk at least I haven't spent much on it :) If my scope ends up being half as good as this one I'll be more than happy.

Dan

Edited by AgeOfStrife
  • Like 1

I'm new to this forum but just have to say that this build is fantastic. It has really inspired me to look at building my own blaster rather than purchasing a finished blaster.

I can't really say which part I like the most as the build as a whole is amazing.

One quick question......What is the view through the scope like ?

EDIT Does anyone have a link for where the optics are for sale ?

Edited by Thrawn's guard
  • Like 2

I'm pretty sure also that the scope doesn't actually work as I guess the focal lengths etc are not correct however I am curious to know what effect looking at the scope gives.

I have seen other methods where circular sections of CDs are placed within the scope.

Both methods are very interesting.

In any event it is great work.

I'm trowing that out there, just a thought I had. Do you think painting the interior with chrome paint would do a cool effect?

What I'm thinking is that it might make it look like it was actually working, what do you think?

• Like 1

I'm trowing that out there, just a thought I had. Do you think painting the interior with chrome paint would do a cool effect?

What I'm thinking is that it might make it look like it was actually working, what do you think?

I would expect the inside of a scope to be flat black, like a camera lens.  The idea would be to minimise internal reflections which would cause glare and loss of contrast.

• Like 1