AP vs MTK Help!

After a helpful member told me to consider MTK armor against AP, I wanted to know some of your guy's opinions. Other than MTK being cheaper than AP what other factors should I take into consideration? What is the ease of fabrication, sturdiness, finish? Thanks!

I dont know about MTK, but if you are over 170 lbs you will probably have to shim the sides of the AP kit so there are not gaps.  I am 5'10 and 185 and had to shim.  

Other than that the AP kit rocks!  If you get it trimmed it's pretty quick to put together and very sturdy.  Nice and shiny too.  

This helpful member sounds right to me. Not only the MTK is cheaper, it is also more accurate than AP if you aim for an ANH/ESB stormtrooper. Mike has done some very nice mods to his molds to improve his kit's accuracy. 

I've built an AP and it hasn't been a very easy build, i highly doubt MTK will be harder. To me, all pros are pointing to MTK.

One thing to take into consideration is, as Scott says, that MTK can adapt to someone with a larger waistband without having to add shims while AP kit is a lot smaller and mostly dedicated to slim guys.

Edited by The5thHorseman

MTK is almost the same as ATA, which is for troopers under 6'.  I have an ATA bucket with the MTK armor.  Quality is good for both armor kits from what I hear.  MTK is just a tad more expensive but ATA has a VERY long wait list.  From pictures, AP looks pretty good too.  AP is more expensive than both ATA and MTK though.

Note, the MTK bucket is slightly bigger than the ATA bucket which many consider on the small side.  For me, because I'm only about 5' 8", the ATA bucket with MTK armor works well because the size of the bucket corresponds with my body size better with all the gear on.

By the way, the MTK and ATA build was pretty easy.  Time-consuming but not all that hard.  I had no prior experience with anything close to this.  But, for me, it wasnt very difficult.....except for the bucket ears though (probably the hardest part of the entire build according to most ppl here).  

As far as sturdiness, finish, and quality, I think all three (ATA, AP, and MTK) are very similar since they're the same gauge and material.  I believe sizes are somewhat the same too since they originate from similar casts.

Edited by hon143

Hi Ricky.  MTK is an awesome set of armor.  Like has been said, Mike has made numerous improvements to his armor which in turn has made it more accurate.  MTK is a very sturdy armor and can adapt to however you would like to build it.  MTK would fit someone who has a larger waist with no need to shim.  There are many build threads and Centurion applications using both MTK and AP.  Check them out. 

I own the ATA, have built over 50 AP and have built 3 MTK..

overall I still vote for the AP helmet, with MTK armor

the plastic quality of the AP outshines the quality of the other 2.  the design flaws in the ATA make the MTK stand out

the only flaw in the AP is the kidney notch was taken out of the mold.

I own the ATA, have built over 50 AP and have built 3 MTK..

overall I still vote for the AP helmet, with MTK armor

the plastic quality of the AP outshines the quality of the other 2.  the design flaws in the ATA make the MTK stand out

the only flaw in the AP is the kidney notch was taken out of the mold.

Yeah....the AP bucket is very nice.  No bumpy lid, right? The ATA bucket is a little bumpy.  I forgot about that.

Edited by hon143