HOWTO: Imperial Gasket tutorial

TK4205

The Mrs does a compression top with a built-in neck seal and a zipper down the back. No seconds here, just some of the finest tailoring you will see in the legion.

$80 shipped.

xOf4UkX.jpg

Edited by Sly11
Edited to restore images Sly11 2021
  • Like 2

That ccompression shirt is pretty nice. But I'm actually looking for somthing down the lines. Say a neck seal sewn on to the shoulder ribbed parts you supplie.

So in the end it is one whole piece.

That ccompression shirt is pretty nice. But I'm actually looking for somthing down the lines. Say a neck seal sewn on to the shoulder ribbed parts you supplie.

So in the end it is one whole piece.

That is a very good idea. I will talk to the Mrs about this.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Any tips on how folks "sized" their gaskets for trimming? I was thinking of measuring circumference around my arm at several points and then adding 1-2". I would then measure half of that measurement from center. I'm petrified of screwing this up and can't get myself to make progress! I just need to jump in and do it!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm slightly confused about the tutorial regarding the new shoulder gaskets.  If I leave them as-is, just trimming the excess rubber, then they have the flaps on the edges as per the tutorial, and everything make sense.  However, if I cut on the suggested lines, marked in red in the first image, then there is no longer any flat flaps of rubber with which to finish the seam.  Wyatt, what is your recommended method for finishing these seams when trimming that deep?

Since I found out, Elmer's non-wrinkle rubber-cement is only available in the US oder the UK I am wondering how much of this stuff is required for glueing one set of gaskets together. Any experiences? Any ideas? I'd be pleased if one would drop me a line about this here. Thank you all in advance. Cheers.

Since I found out, Elmer's non-wrinkle rubber-cement is only available in the US oder the UK I am wondering how much of this stuff is required for glueing one set of gaskets together. Any experiences? Any ideas? I'd be pleased if one would drop me a line about this here. Thank you all in advance. Cheers.

two small jars at the most.

I might be able to send you some if you email me.

• 4 weeks later...

So i got my set of the updated gaskets today. I have to say, i am impressed!

However i have some questions (some might be dumb, as usual, coming from me ;) ):

* As i do not have Jim's armor yet, would it be wise to hold off on cutting these until i get the armor? Just to see if i can get it to fit correctly?

* Do you cut off the exact same amount of rubber from the left and right side? The image seems to suggest to cut asymmetrical.

* I am afraid to cut too much, or too less and than ending up with a too tight gasket or too few scraps left to glue it together. Any recommendation to find the correct amount?

* The leg gaskets are curved. Which side goes up? I am guessing the curve should point upwards, right?

Thanks.

Thank you, Thomas. I will post a video demonstrating my best method of trimming and fitting.

I am away from my shop right now but will get on it as soon as I get back.

• Like 1

Thanks! Also, do you keep the full arm length intact, or cut it into two so ellbows and shoulders are separated?

You may or may not separate the elbows from the shoulders. That's entirely up to the user. Personally, I'd use as little rubber as I could on my costume. 

Sticky backed velcro sticks very well to these gaskets, so it would be easy to cut them apart and affix them in the armor. 

• Like 1

Looking Forward to your Video :)

By the way, this question might have been missed, so if anyone can chime in, i'd appreciate it:

* The leg gaskets are curved. Which side goes up? I am guessing the curve should point upwards, right?

Looking Forward to your Video :)

By the way, this question might have been missed, so if anyone can chime in, i'd appreciate it:

Yes, the curve goes upwards, with the arch at the top.