Pepakura Helmet

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

After a long time away from this build I have again decided to pick it up and try to see it through to completion. Its funny how life sometimes gets in the way of certain projects.

Ive still got along way to go with solidifying the shapes and details. The original pep file was for ANH trooper so I will likely move in that direction. For that model, are the rear and side trapezoids recessed into the helmet? If so I've got some scary cutting to do.

Thanks again to all for the help and support. Maybe 2017 is the year I finally complete this thing.

0a5906a6663adc087b7a6c451578bdc4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Doesn't seem to be a lot of interest.... not surprising when you look at the price and quality of the helmets currently on the market. I would advise anyone thinking of taking this route to think twice about it. It really isn't any cheaper and the man hours involved (for me anyway) are crazy. Never the less, I have gone this far and I've got a ton of time invested so I will continue.

I cut openings in the back of the helmet to allow for the trapezoids to be recessed. I then fibreglass ed over the holes from the back side to give some dimension. I have yet to do the front as I'm not sure yet of the exact positioning. I need to get my ears and brow trim sorted so I'll know approx where to place them.

I plan to also throw a coat of primer over the whole helmet soon so that it will be a solid colour making it easier to see my flaws.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

The labor involved in this process is so time consuming.  You no doubt will get a sense of pride when you complete it, but in actuality it's easier to buy a kit and do the work and it ends up costing the same with much less work.  I built my helmet from a customized pepikura model, spent two years making it almost movie accurate,  made molds out of it and pulled my own.  Cost me $1500.  ugh.