Pepakura Helmet

Hello all.

I apologize if this is the wrong area of the forum. Please move if needed.

It's been a goal of mine for a while to build a storm trooper set of armor, and I finally took the first few steps.

I've started with the pepakura helmet design by Space Cowboy. The build up was pretty straight forward. The only issues I had were trying to piece together the individual sections together. After many hours of cutting, bending, gluing, swearing and drinking I had this to show for my efforts.

ZQvMylw.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photos updated gmrhodes13 2021

Next step was to apply resin to the inside and outside of the helmet. Unfortunately, the first batch I used was old and was difficult to work with (green parts). Fortunately it did cure and I purchased some new resin. I also applied a layer of fiberglass to the inside of the helmet.

post-23596-0-69166100-1431288414_thumb.jpg

post-23596-0-27378200-1431288419_thumb.jpg 

Edited by gmrhodes13

As I continue to research, I'm realizing there are a few parts of the helmet I know I will struggle with. The vocoder in particular... Is there anyone that offers a pre-made piece for this?

As I build, I will try to continually add pics to show my progress. Any comments or critisizms are always welcome.

As I continue to research, I'm realizing there are a few parts of the helmet I know I will struggle with. The vocoder in particular... Is there anyone that offers a pre-made piece for this?

As I build, I will try to continually add pics to show my progress. Any comments or critisizms are always welcome.

The vocoder are part of the helmet's faceplate. You won't be able to find loose, unless you're lucky and can find an old FX or AM vocoder that are separated from the faceplate.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Thank you Tolo.

I'm two coats of bondo with sanding in between on the dome section of the helmet.

I'm also trying something a bit different. I'm going to try using air drying crafting clay to build up and detail the face area. I hope it's pretty solid when cured. Does anyone have any experience with this?

There are different kinds of clay. They all look good when you first shape them. Most natural clays will shrink maybe 10% or so and will likely crack some as they dry. Some plasticized clays are advertised not to shrink or crack. I can't speak to how durable clay is. It appears soft to me, but there may be some kind of sealer or glazing compound you could use.

This pep file is actually one of two by spacecowboy. The other file has all the greeblies, like the vocoder and the mic tips. I can send the file to you if you'd like. I think I've still got it rattling around on my hard drive.

This pep file is actually one of two by spacecowboy. The other file has all the greeblies, like the vocoder and the mic tips. I can send the file to you if you'd like. I think I've still got it rattling around on my hard drive

Thank you all for the help, its greatly appreciated.

I was initially very impressed with the clay. I was able to shape by hand and fine tune the shapes easily to what I needed. Unfortunately, a day later it has turned into an epic fail. The clay cracked and easily pulled free. So I'm back to the method of bondo and hand sanding... :(

Hope to add some more pics soon. Having issues with file sizes...

Walraad,

If you are looking for something that works like clay but is superior in adhesion and maintaining shape, try something called Milliput. Works great, but not cheap like air dry clay.

http://milliput.com/index.html

Edited by trooper96

Thanks again. I'm using letter sized files for printing.

Milliput looks interesting. Definitely worth a better look. I have a hard time manipulating the bondo and hand sanding to get the shapes I want.

As always any advice is appreciated.

I have the file in PDF version as well, but I can't compress it enough to post it here. This will work if you're using Pep designer, which I assume that you are.

Thank you very much. This will be very helpful.

On 5/13/2015 at 10:02 AM, CommanderZel said:

No problem! I was originally going to do a pep build, but I was easily swayed to the kit construction side of things as I have no experience with pep builds.

Im wishing I went with a kit construction. Ive lost count of the number of times Ive applied bondo and sanded. Beginning to get frustrated and a little discouraged with my progress. Really struggling to get the forms accurate. As always any tips or recommendations are always welcomed.

dL5gVof.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13

The only thing I can say is that you're probably going to want to attach the details before you finish the bondo. I just don't know how else the teeth in the frown are going to work.

It's looking really good, though! Keep up the good work!

Thanks CommanderZel

I have started to fit the teeth and moving towards getting many of the forms to look decent. Still have a long way to go. Hope to post a pic of my success or failure tomorrow.

Is there any one out there that can provide a finishing kit of sorts. I will need lenses, a neck seal, brow trim and possibly a set of ears. Any ideas?

Thanks again.

On 5/18/2015 at 8:41 PM, trooper96 said:

Trooperbay seems to be a popular place to source the seals, trim, and lenses.

Thank you Trooper, Ill check it out.

I was able to get the teeth in place. I realize its far from perfect, but I am quite pleased with it thus far. In the picture the spacing on the left seems off, but its only perspective.

Soon I hope to come up with a good way to make the vocoder followed by the ears and cut outs for the upper vents.

xTSpLUI.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13

Looking great! I'd definitely suggest Trooperbay as they've been reported to be reputable and the things I've bought from them have come in excellent shape and time.

I do have one more concern, though: How are you planning on attaching brow and neck trim? The bucket will probably be thin enough at the neck for the application of neck trim, but the brow looks like a solid shelf!

it's starting to look real good.
most people seem to get bored well before this point, are you going to be slush casting this eventually?

you could just glue a strip of rubber along the brow line. I've seen it done on slush cast helmets and it looks fine.

Thank you all for the positive feedback. I intend to use a solid strip of rubber glued to the brow line as JohnnyChaos mentioned. Does anybody know the width and thickness?

The neck trim shouldn't be an issue.

I'm also looking for a good reference for the ears. I am not sure how far up the helmet they should go . I've peped a set but they seem small.

Lastly, trying to decide how best to make the vocoder.