Two Channel Communications

So I had this nifty idea to make a setup that lets you switch between external communication, and internal communication via a walkie talkie. The idea was for when trooping, I could speak to people using a Push to Talk button on an external amp or speaker, but then easily switch to an internal channel, while also turning off the external speaker. I'm using a walkie talkie pair for my external speaker, so I needed a setup that would activate the PTT on the Midland radio. 

So, here's what I've come up with. It uses a magnetic reed switch in the glove to activate the PTT function and allow external sound. Then, when you lift your hand to your helmet, there's a switch in there that turns off the external output, and also acts as the PTT for the internal channel (direct communication with wife, family, troop, etc...)

The end result is going to be a module that you can plug any mic into, as well as any output you desire. 

Here's a pic of my bread board setup, as well as the wiring diagram. 

*note - the Midland PTT calls for a 2.2K resistor, but I use 2k and it's working just fine. 

-----------

My circuit boards are coming in next week, so when I get it all wired and pretty, I'll post more plus a video of how it works. 

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working
  • Like 1

I've wanted (someone) to do this for YEARS!

So excited to see it happen!

If you sell them, make sure and let me know. B)

Working on getting it all on the circuit board:

------------

I've already decided that I need to use 1x 4 pole connector for my walkie that has both mic and headphones. That'll save a LOT of space. But I'm happy that I can get it all into a VERY small package.  

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working
  • Like 1

Thanks. 

While the first prototype works just about as I designed it, I'm now thinking much bigger. Initially, the thought was to have a small, simple, and self-contained switch in the helmet. Now, I'd like to add LEDs to add a confirmation of what channel is active at the moment (an idea I got from Chef over on the TB board). So that'll add some bulk (battery, LED holders/connectors/wires). I'm also considering using some RJ45 plugs instead of typical 2-4 pole 3.5mm plugs. The way I see it, I have 6 'inputs' and 6 'outputs', so an 8-pin RJ45 might do the trick. So, changing some wiring, adding a battery to the mix, and maybe adding some modules to allow stuff to be placed wherever. 

I've got some parts coming in this week, so maybe over the weekend, I can get an updated version ready.