Looking for Armor for Fan Expo

Howdy! New around these parts, but i wouldn't for a second doubt everyones expertise here from all of the research i've done on trooping and the 501st.

Anyway, i live in Canada, specifically, the Greater Toronto Area. With Fan Expo 2015 slowly creeping into view, i thought i'd go ahead and see what i can drum up in the way of a Storm Trooper cosplay (I hear Star Wars is in this year!). Now, there are a few things that i've thought about in terms of my own idea of what i want from this Armor, and what i'm willing to do to get a kit;

- Patience is not a trait of mine, most of my time is spent working and what little free time i have is usually wasted on the internet, so a kit that's going to suck up huge amounts of time, either constructing or modifying, wouldn't be ideal.

- At this current point in time, i don't really have an interest in joining the 501st (As cool as it would be, maybe in the future?) so 100% movie accuracy isn't a priority for me. To me, if an average joe can look at the Armor and say "That's a cool Storm Trooper!" then it's mission accomplished.

- Money isn't too much of an object, i'm willing to set a budget for myself at around the 1200 dollar mark, which i've based around the SDS Battle Spec Armor and Bucket + Boots. I know, i know, AA is literally Hitler and all that, but it looked pretty neat to me, and although i consider myself a huge Star Wars geek, i am less of a movie buff, so i couldn't tell an RS from an eFX, ANH from a RotJ.

-This Armor needs to be ready to roll by Mid August, which makes me think buying a fully assembled kit is the only option, but i'm here anyway, just to be sure.

- I own a blaster already. It's a simple, poor mans recreation of an E11 that i've sprayed black, it will do just fine.

Now, don't get me wrong, with all that said, i value authenticity, but right now it's a balance of cash, time, and quality that i need to find to make this work. I'd appreciate any advice from the experts of the 501st!

Thanks!

Edited by Schoober

Hi there Christopher - Mid August is a tight deadline if you're looking for the kind of armor you can find here. If you're lucky you may get a lead on someone selling completed armor, but the chances of it fitting you properly without modification is slim to none. And then there is also the gathering of the soft bits (gloves, boots, neck seal, under suit, etc) Since you have interest in joining the 501st, my biased opinion is that you plan out a proper build and do it right the first time. :)

There are lots of us in the GTA that could help you build, and with the nicer weather there will be armor parties a plenty. If you're leaning towards a 501st Stormtrooper, PM me and I'll give you the details of our Canadian Garrison Facebook group for new recruits. If possible you can also come talk to us at Niagara Fall Comic Con the first weekend on June.

Alternatively, if you're just looking for something cheap and easy, I hear Queen Street is good for that :P

Hi there Christopher - Mid August is a tight deadline if you're looking for the kind of armor you can find here. If you're lucky you may get a lead on someone selling completed armor, but the chances of it fitting you properly without modification is slim to none. And then there is also the gathering of the soft bits (gloves, boots, neck seal, under suit, etc) Since you have interest in joining the 501st, my biased opinion is that you plan out a proper build and do it right the first time. :)

There are lots of us in the GTA that could help you build, and with the nicer weather there will be armor parties a plenty. If you're leaning towards a 501st Stormtrooper, PM me and I'll give you the details of our Canadian Garrison Facebook group for new recruits. If possible you can also come talk to us at Niagara Fall Comic Con the first weekend on June.

Alternatively, if you're just looking for something cheap and easy, I hear Queen Street is good for that :P

Thanks alot for the advice! Now, when i say "Maybe in the future", i do mean FAR future, as in 10-15 years when i'm a little more established, assuming the 501st is still a thing at that time :). At that point, i'll probably be more invested in making the required modifications and giving the care the project deseves, but right now, honestly, it's more about me fullfilling a childhood fantasy (Which is funny considering i'm only 19) and abusing the powers that come with a steady income/no expenses and less about becoming a dedicated member of any particular organization. 

Anyway, it seems like a from-scratch kit is out of the question given the deadline, but a pre-made could still be possible. As i mentioned, i've been scoping out the Shepperton Design Studios Battle Spec stormtrooper armor, (heres a link, just incase http://originalstormtrooper.com/stormtrooper-battle-spec-armour-123-p.asp )and although i've heard terrible thing about Andrew Ainsworth and his tendancies to stretch the truth and some inconsistances with the source material, people that have actually went out and made the purchase seemed to be happy overall with it, despite the less than perfect excecution.

I've always been inclined to pick the more expensive option for the sake of conveniance. Cheap and easy? I always like easy, but cheap? Me? Never :P

Unless it's Rubies...then i'm just PAYING to look cheap.

Edited by Schoober

It is at times like this that I am reminded of a quote from one of my child hood heroes:

"If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -- John Wooden

While I admire the admission that patience and time are working against you, a lot of your final goals are going to work against you.

To have a cool looking costume is going to take some time to compile and fit. Pickles is an amazing resource, so before you invest any of your income in the journey, go have a visit with her garrison.

Even if you don't join the 501st, seeing some of what is involved will help you make a better decision on your path. Perhaps avoiding a rushed choice that you will regret down the road.

Good luck on your journey! :)

Hello.

I'm selling my SDS armor already assembled and 501st approved with Hero helmet (signed version numbered 343. NOT included, Boots, Thermal Detonator, E-11 Blaster and Undersuit :duim:

Take a look at these links and if there's any doubt, feel free to PM me on Facebook = Fábio Fontoura or just send me a message here on FISD.

------------------

Fábio Fontoura :smiley-sw013:

P.S. - I can lower the 1000 Euros price. Already have another armor and I have no interest in holding this one for too long :laugh1:

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021