68Brick's AP Armor Build ... Shooting for Expert Infantryman or Centurion

Waiting on my AP kit too... this thread makes my mouth water every time I come back. Did you get the bucket trimmed by Mark? Looking really good man, that thigh piece COMMANDS respect. Insane bucket too, your painting skills are over 9000  :salute:

Thanks Starrfox1. I did order the trimmed kit to get me going quickly. The helmet came trimmed along with the rest of the kit. Everything needs fitting and trimming to size/fit along with lots of sanding for clean/smooth edges. But that goes for any kit. All those model kits as a kid payed of when painting this thing. :)

BTW, I ended up resetting the one side of the knee plate. I'll see how it looks tomorrow when the E6000 is ready.

Just my 2 cents, as I noticed that you're going for a pretty symmetrical feel for everything... might also want to consider moving that rivet on the right side of the right thigh over just a TEENSY bit so that the middle of the pack and the seam/cover strip line up. I don't know how much tension is on that thing already or if you'd be worried about losing structural integrity by putting another hole right next to the existing one (and it looks AWESOME regardless), just something worth mentioning imo. Wondering if that's what you did with the sniper plate... That velcro patch on the ammo pack and bottom of the thigh thing is a really good idea, I'll probably end up stealing that from you  :P​ 

I think I have enough play in the ammo pack & velcro to make that happen. I'd hate to drill another hole! Thanks for the critique though!

I think I have enough play in the ammo pack & velcro to make that happen. I'd hate to drill another hole! Thanks for the critique though!

Yeah man, again just a small observation. I'm really impressed with how well your armor fits together, the cover strips are literally perfect in every way. Definitely using your armor as inspiration for mine. How tall are you if you don't mind me asking? I'm 5'10", 140 and 30" waist (so, pretty dainty really) and I went with AP because apparently the pull is better for smaller dudes... the way everything fits you in that mock up photo blows my mind

Thanks. I've been trying to make everything fit and look as best as I can make it, without making this a profession. ^_^ I'm 5'11" 185lbs 33" waist.

Put the body armor on after sanding and straightening it to measure for shims. I need a 3.3cm shim on each side. Yes .... the metric system! :)

IMG_0905_zpss49ekioe.jpgIMG_0902_zpsnc9ggtsa.jpgIMG_0901_zpsbvl6pukz.jpg

My shim material is twice as thick as the kidney material, so I've have to gather some scraps together to build some build-out blocks for when I join the shim to the kidney. I want the outside surface to be flush when glued.

IMG_0906_zpssyrrzynt.jpg

I've got to make a pile of snap plates and I have started laying out my holes etc for the belt. That should come together quick. The belt, that is. ;)

I went a little snap crazy and have to pull that snap out of the cod ... should be a split rivet. duh!

I went a little snap crazy and have to pull that snap out of the cod ... should be a split rivet. duh!