Squeaky

On 5/17/2015 at 8:27 AM, mark.van.nelson said:

Look at what's on etsy.

------------------

Whaaaaaaaaaaaat!?

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

• 2 weeks later...

After seeing this thread on RPF: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=237867&highlight=phasma

I bought my Phasma helmet from that same maker here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/232946074/fan-made-helmet-kit?ref=ss_listing

The UPS notification has it arriving tomorrow.

I'm probably going to have it chromed in lieu of spray paints or wraps. 

On 5/17/2015 at 8:27 AM, mark.van.nelson said:

Look at what's on etsy.

-------------

The trooper helmet is an anovos recast, it has to be, all of the tells from the anovos helmet are in this one.

Edited by gmrhodes13
  • Like 1

It's Christmas in May! The Phasma helmet arrived and I am beyond ready to begin.

Except I have to go out-of-town for the weekend.  :blink:  Ugh.  Family get-togethers.  Whatever.

I'm kinda diggin' the Biore' strip.

ng2JrBA.png

Edited by gmrhodes13
photos updated gmrhodes13 2021

It's Christmas in May! The Phasma helmet arrived and I am beyond ready to begin.

Except I have to go out-of-town for the weekend.  :blink:  Ugh.  Family get-togethers.  Whatever.

I'm kinda diggin' the Biore' strip.

That is one purdy bucket.

Looks like its sitting on your shoulders...lol

On 5/14/2015 at 11:42 AM, pandatrooper said:

Just sharing some info / research. For chroming, there's basically 3-4 options. Most have been explored heavily by various 3PO builders.

1. Vac metalizing: spray the surface with a special coating, hang the parts in a vaccum chamber, melt a small piece of aluminum and the particles stick to the surfaces. Still needs a protective coat or heating to cure and protect it. Some methods don't use heating but they can chip easily. Cost $$$

2. DIY version using Alcad chrome paint with an airbrush. Used on model airplanes, etc. Labor intensive but not as shiny as vac metal Cost $

3. Cosmichrome or spectrachrome or other silver nitrate variants: this is the "Spray on chrome" that you see on many cars, bikes etc. Its a chemical reaction with a base coat that causes a thin layer of silver. Can have different colored top coats to yield gold, bronze, etc. More durable than vac metal, but about 90% the reflectivity. Cost is $$$ to $$$$$ depending on the prep required.

One more option I'd suggest is Alsa stretch chrome vinyl. You can heat it and bend it to shape. It wouldn't work on a helmet or detailed greeblies since it needs to conform to somewhat smooth surfaces, but perhaps it's a more cost effective alternative and if it chips or scratches, you can peel it off and put a new layer wrap on! I've never tried it but I know some people who have. Unsure of cost.

----------------

These guys in Florida advertise that they have experience doing all the armor for the company Medieval Times and custom orders for people's costumes. 

-------------------

Edited by gmrhodes13

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...