Captain Phasma

Squeaky

It has been my plan to do this character... though I'm only 5/10/11 not 6/3 ... but I've been watching some of the differences in the images and some of the details can be confused with reflection (i.e. cod dimples = parapets?).

Need more images!! But build in the works, and probably automotive chrome ftw.

You would so rock this.  I can't wait to see it come to life.

Ever since seeing this in the trailer I wanted it but apparently my wife has claimed that right.

Her exact words were "I'll support you and your trooping, because I love you, though I'm for the rebels however, now I know that this chrome beauty is being worn by a woman, I'm going to the dark side in one of these and NO YOU'RE NOT getting one or wearing mine".

So brutal :huh:   

• Like 8

Ever since seeing this in the trailer I wanted it but apparently my wife has claimed that right.

Her exact words were "I'll support you and your trooping, because I love you, though I'm for the rebels however, now I know that this chrome beauty is being worn by a woman, I'm going to the dark side in one of these and NO YOU'RE NOT getting one or wearing mine".

When I got my husband to join the 501st, I told him that I would have first dibs on any costume. :laugh1:

• Like 1

Someone take a look at her inner right shin/boot. Notice anything unusual yet oh-so-familiar?

** Hint: It rhymes with "duct tape". :P

Someone take a look at her inner right shin/boot. Notice anything unusual yet oh-so-familiar?

** Hint: It rhymes with "duct tape". :P

Hard to tell, but looks to me more like foil tape. 

For those wanting to build this, I can't imagine how much money you're going to have to spend getting a proper chrome finish.  Not something you can spray out of a can. 

• Like 1

On 5/8/2015 at 3:38 AM, OGFNG said:

Hard to tell, but looks to me more like foil tape.

For those wanting to build this, I can't imagine how much money you're going to have to spend getting a proper chrome finish. Not something you can spray out of a can.

I'd say a good car wrap shop should be able to accomplish this look as my local one makes Ferraris look solid gold

For reference from a local shop that also does a decent amount of business online, electroplating a plastic oil cap runs about $30.  A motorcycle front fender around $270.  Now imagine all the pieces in that suit.

-----------------

The other options I'm aware of for ABS are Vacuum Metalizing, which usually require you run a large batch to make them affordable (this is how most plastic products you buy that come with a chrome finish are done), or one of the better chrome paints, but they'll give you more of a brushed finish than mirror.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

From what I've heard about chroming too is that you don't want very much flexing at all or you'll ruin the chrome finish. Well, this new armor takes some flex to get on - particularly the chest/back/wing area. I'd be curious to see if chroming could hold up to some of that.

Captain Phasma is amazing, by the way! ;)

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

We don't even know if her lid will come off... I'm sure it will, but really, who cares? We keep our lids on in public (mostly) anyway. 

I was thinking this too - we might never be shown that the person in the armor is a woman - which just makes them faceless.

On top of that I don't care, I'm doing this character too!

By the way, i don't remember if i've seen it posted on the FISD, but for those interested by this costume, the stock from this gun might interest you if you like "found parts":

----------------

Of course, the Prop Department from SW7 might have slightly modified it afterwards, but it is for sure the correct base to work from.

Edited by gmrhodes13
  • Like 2

On 5/9/2015 at 6:02 PM, The5thHorseman said:

By the way, i don't remember if i've seen it posted on the FISD, but for those interested by this costume, the stock from this gun might interest you if you like "found parts":

---------------

Of course, the Prop Department from SW7 might have slightly modified it afterwards, but it is for sure the correct base to work from.

Using a part from an AR15... there is going to be some crazy uproar from the anti gun groups! Boycott TFA! Well, not me, I like guns.

Edited by gmrhodes13
  • Like 2

I'm sure everyone is aware of this by now, but Stony Props over at the RPF has already sculpted the helmet. Aside from the chroming of the armor itself, it seems like the hardest part of doing this costume has now been done. :)

Just sharing some info / research. For chroming, there's basically 3-4 options. Most have been explored heavily by various 3PO builders.

1. Vac metalizing: spray the surface with a special coating, hang the parts in a vaccum chamber, melt a small piece of aluminum and the particles stick to the surfaces. Still needs a protective coat or heating to cure and protect it. Some methods don't use heating but they can chip easily. Cost $$$

2. DIY version using Alcad chrome paint with an airbrush. Used on model airplanes, etc. Labor intensive but not as shiny as vac metal Cost $

3. Cosmichrome or spectrachrome or other silver nitrate variants: this is the "Spray on chrome" that you see on many cars, bikes etc. Its a chemical reaction with a base coat that causes a thin layer of silver. Can have different colored top coats to yield gold, bronze, etc. More durable than vac metal, but about 90% the reflectivity. Cost is $$$ to $$$$$ depending on the prep required.

One more option I'd suggest is Alsa stretch chrome vinyl. You can heat it and bend it to shape. It wouldn't work on a helmet or detailed greeblies since it needs to conform to somewhat smooth surfaces, but perhaps it's a more cost effective alternative and if it chips or scratches, you can peel it off and put a new layer wrap on! I've never tried it but I know some people who have. Unsure of cost.

----------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
  • Like 2

On 5/14/2015 at 11:42 AM, pandatrooper said:

Just sharing some info / research. For chroming, there's basically 3-4 options. Most have been explored heavily by various 3PO builders.

1. Vac metalizing: spray the surface with a special coating, hang the parts in a vaccum chamber, melt a small piece of aluminum and the particles stick to the surfaces. Still needs a protective coat or heating to cure and protect it. Some methods don't use heating but they can chip easily. Cost $$$

2. DIY version using Alcad chrome paint with an airbrush. Used on model airplanes, etc. Labor intensive but not as shiny as vac metal Cost $

3. Cosmichrome or spectrachrome or other silver nitrate variants: this is the "Spray on chrome" that you see on many cars, bikes etc. Its a chemical reaction with a base coat that causes a thin layer of silver. Can have different colored top coats to yield gold, bronze, etc. More durable than vac metal, but about 90% the reflectivity. Cost is $$$ to $$$$$ depending on the prep required.

One more option I'd suggest is Alsa stretch chrome vinyl. You can heat it and bend it to shape. It wouldn't work on a helmet or detailed greeblies since it needs to conform to somewhat smooth surfaces, but perhaps it's a more cost effective alternative and if it chips or scratches, you can peel it off and put a new layer wrap on! I've never tried it but I know some people who have. Unsure of cost.

--------------

Also, the #2 option is very "hands-off" I heard it picks up finger prints like a champ and is not very robust so will chip away almost by looking at it?

The Alsa stretch chrome vinyl seems to be the most cost effective and like you said, you damage it, peel it off and install a new layer. I like It.

Question, I know they make colored ABS, is it possible to get it in silver? With the natural reflective properties of ABS it would almost appear chrome you think.

Short intermission:

Germain, do we know anything about the scopes on the new rifles?

Sorry, i haven't seen anything surfacing yet. The guys from the "gun departement" are still trying to identify it :P. If it is a found part of course.