ANOVOS TFA Armor Accuracy?

DarthMel

Sooo, the anovos comes as a kit then? I saw one of the new suits at a troop on may 4th and was less than impressed - terrible shape and fit (almost as bad as my avatar pic;) the butt was flat and wide and the thickness of the waist and thighs was off balance with the top portion, it just didn't look very masculine at all.

If it is an unfinished kit, that would actually be a good thing, I think - because if they all look like the one I saw this weekend, you couldn't pay me to wear it.

do you have a pic?

I don't mean bondo all the corners for approval or trooping. I'm talking about bringing the kit to a higher level of accuracy.

Each box could be faced with thin ABS and all the edges filled. A reasonable task to reach that higher mark within the detachment. I hope I don't sound elitest here. I wore an FX for several years before I could tell the difference. If people have the attitude that it's good enough for the fans, that's OK too. Most people are just here to have fun. But if the FISD maintains this costume, there will eventualy be Centurian standards.

Not to compare the ANOVOS kit to the FX, but when we started with the FX, it was the best thing going. It was the only thing going. It took over a decade to come up with the EIB and Centurion programs and only after we had access to more accurate kits.

so right now, ANOVOS armor is the best thing going

That all makes sense to me!

Sooo, the anovos comes as a kit then? I saw one of the new suits at a troop on may 4th and was less than impressed - terrible shape and fit (almost as bad as my avatar pic;) the butt was flat and wide and the thickness of the waist and thighs was off balance with the top portion, it just didn't look very masculine at all.

If it is an unfinished kit, that would actually be a good thing, I think - because if they all look like the one I saw this weekend, you couldn't pay me to wear it.

The kits that were sold to the 501st at SWCA were in kit form. so if the build looked bad, it's likely it was a failure of the builder to properly scale the armor to their frame, or to properly pad it so it wasn't noticeable.

In the future ANOVOS will offer it as a fully built setup based on your measurements. But thats likely a long ways off.

They also had a very short window to get the build done, and limited point of reference, adding to the difficulty of getting a proper fitting build.

I believe Anovos is also still tweaking the design for the GA version.

Also, adding to the confusion, apparently there were different sized helmets used during production, and the one Anovos got is the larger of them.  (Accoding to a post by them on the RPF)

About the size of the Helmet, here I have my 2 TM's and the TFA looks smaller.
17241635568_b29a3e9f31_b.jpg

Edited by v7sg
  • Like 3

The anovos kit is without a doubt of sufficient quality for Legion approval.

As far as EIB / Centurion stuff goes, that's going to be up to the detachment.

For basic approval, we want to keep it reasonable... no calipers will be utilized in the evaluation of these suits ;)

The ANH Stormtroopers have an almost unique place in the Legion in that nearly everything we wear today has lineage to the movie suits. The TFA Stormtrooper is a fan sculpt. It's a fan sculpt that had a lot of excellent reference, but it's still a fan sculpt. I think given that it is very, very, very close.

• Like 6

I would not consider the Anovos TFA White Stormtrooper armor to be just a "Fan Sculpt" at all. It is directly derived. Trust me... I know. LOL

Kevin W.

Edited by kwdesigns
  • Like 6

I would not consider the Anovos TFA White Stormtrooper armor to be just a "Fan Sculpt" at all. It is directly derived. Trust me... I know. LOL

Kevin W.

And here all this time I thought you were a fan. But seriously, how is this not a fan sculpt, meaning how is it different from your clone, or any other kit that someone makes from decent 3D files?

• Like 1

And here all this time I thought you were a fan. But seriously, how is this not a fan sculpt, meaning how is it different from your clone, or any other kit that someone makes from decent 3D files?

...because it is derived from a screen used set of armor... clone armor was never actually produced for the films.

Edited by TK6682
  • Like 1

On 5/7/2015 at 5:06 AM, bigkilo said:

Wow - nice slam on your Garrison mate there, Jared - aka my wife and a 501st member for over 13 years. Since you are either unwilling or unable to post photos of her, I'll do it for you, so everyone can see the terrible fit and shape for themselves. But just in case they don't have your keen eye, perhaps you could point out all the flaws for us.

Or, you know, apologize. That's another option.

-----------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021
  • Like 5

Okay, if bigkilo was really talking about the trooper in the pictures above (also known as crocoboxer wife), I honestly can't see anything of what bigkilo criticized ...

On the other hand, there WERE troopers at celebration who obviously didn't have had enough time to finetune the costume to their body shape.

This one in the photos above is NOT one of them.

Your wife looks great in her armor!

Okay, if bigkilo was really talking about the trooper in the pictures above (also known as crocoboxer wife), I honestly can't see anything of what bigkilo criticized ...

On the other hand, there WERE troopers at celebration who obviously didn't have had enough time to finetune the costume to their body shape.

This one in the photos above is NOT one of them.

Your wife looks great in her armor!

Yup - he mentioned the May The 4th troop he was at which was the Minnesota Twins game that she (TK-796 and FISD member) and I trooped. She was the only TFA trooper there. In fact, she is the only one in the Central Garrison, at the moment.

Wow - nice slam on your Garrison mate there, Jared - aka my wife and a 501st member for over 13 years. Since you are either unwilling or unable to post photos of her, I'll do it for you, so everyone can see the terrible fit and shape for themselves. But just in case they don't have your keen eye, perhaps you could point out all the flaws for us.

Or, you know, apologize. That's another option.

Jim - I wasnt trying to offend you or anyone else, and intentionally didnt mention any names to avoid doing that. My statement was not a comment on you and your wife's build, but just a question about the armor in general, Your armor is one of the better that I have seen (which is only a few), but they all seem a litle out of proportion to me.

The butt is too flat, the chest is too small in diameter (or the abs are too large in diameter), and the shoulder bells seem undersized to me. It also seems to be riddled with clone-trooper-ish comfort and movement issues.

I wasnt sure If this was a build issue or the way the armor is molded. I was attempting to get feedback on the accuracy of the ANOVOS and was not trying to comment on your build.

So, since this has become a public issue: you have my public apology. You did a nice build, I'm just not sure how accurate it is. But that ultimately falls on ANOVOS and not you. Admittedly, my statement about not wearing it even if I was paid to was a bit harsh, but I'm just not feeling the armor as I have seen anyone wear it yet (but I'm also not into anyone in clone armor either, so some of it is just my OT ways).

I really dont wanna derail this thread, so any further comments can be directed to me via PM.

thanks

Edited by bigkilo

There are sizing restrictions with the kit. The arms and legs cannot be resized much due to the gaskets. Even if you changed the gaskets and were able to re-size it would be difficult to maintain accuracy. The movement and mobility restrictions caused by the gaskets are well known and Stacie is testing several alternatives.  A lot of it really boils down to personal preference. If you don't like the design of the new trooper, you're not going to like any build of that kit. Also want to point out that Stacie and another garrison member, Neil Monson, did almost all the work on the build. I didn't really do anything, so they deserve the credit.

I'll leave it with this story: When we were at Celebration taking the photos by the fountain that I posted earlier, there was a man in his sixties smoking a pipe and wearing an Episode VII cap. He started talking to me in an English accent and asked about the build. I told him that was my wife and she and a friend assembled the Anovos kit. He said "That suit looks better than the ones we built for the movie."  I looked at him puzzed and he said "I'm the property master for Episode VII."

:shok:

He then went up and told Stacie the same thing and also told her there are two women in stormtrooper armor in the movie. He said "They don't take thier helmets off, but you can tell how they move that they are women."

So that was nice.

Edited by Crocoboxer
  • Like 19

There are sizing restrictions with the kit. The arms and legs cannot be resized much due to the gaskets. Even if you changed the gaskets and were able to re-size it would be difficult to maintain accuracy. The movement and mobility restrictions caused by the gaskets are well known and Stacie is testing several alternatives.  A lot of it really boils down to personal preference. If you don't like the design of the new trooper, you're not going to like any build of that kit. Also want to point out that Stacie and another garrison member, Neil Monson, did almost all the work on the build. I didn't really do anything, so they deserve the credit.

I'll leave it with this story: When we were at Celebration taking the photos by the fountain that I posted earlier, there was a man in his sixties smoking a pipe and wearing an Episode VII cap. He started talking to me in an English accent and asked about the build. I told him that was my wife and a friend she assembled the Anovos kit. He said "That suit looks better than the ones we built for the movie."  I looked at him puzzed and he said "I'm the property master for Episode VII."

He then went up and told Stacie the same thing and also told her there are two women in stormtrooper armor in the movie. He said "They don't take thier helmets off, but you can tell how they move that they are women."

So that was nice.

Love that story!

• Like 1

I'll leave it with this story: When we were at Celebration taking the photos by the fountain that I posted earlier, there was a man in his sixties smoking a pipe and wearing an Episode VII cap. He started talking to me in an English accent and asked about the build. I told him that was my wife and she and a friend assembled the Anovos kit. He said "That suit looks better than the ones we built for the movie."  I looked at him puzzed and he said "I'm the property master for Episode VII."

So that was nice.

RAD!

I'm conflicted on my desire to get TFA armor. Here's my take....

1. I'm digging the helmet, looks pretty awesome.

2. Think the chest looks wimpy. There is no strong looking definition like a TK and some Clones.

3. The overall look of it seems to depend a lot on your body shape. I have seen some that look way better than others when both had nice builds. It appears the taller and thinner you are the better it looks proportionally.

I think my conflict is I really want to like it but the above mentioned items are troubling, especially the chest.

Sent from a galaxy far far away

Edited by TK21029
  • Like 1

...because it is derived from a screen used set of armor... clone armor was never actually produced for the films.

That's exactly what they told me at the Rubies booth about their stormtrooper and their Vader :lol:

Many of us are curious to know how you obtained your bucks. Did you cast an actual screen used suit, or did Disney supply you with the 3D printed bucks?

If you took a 3D cad file and built your own bucks from that, with cardboard and bodo, you have done a fan sculpt, not too different than building from pep. No shame in that. Fan sculpts usually look better.

I was told by the ANAVOS staff, that the display model was in fact a 3D printed (rapid prototype) model. I knew this to be untrue due to the red bondo showing through the seams. Furthermore, you can actually tell a 3D model by the tiny dots that it is built up with, like pixels in a photo or the sormtroopers in the TFA room.

One more question:

Do you have any proof that this TFA armor is a licensed product? I was told by the ANOVOS staff that these kits were mass produced in China. I believe this to be the case with the helmet but not the armor. It doesn't matter what size operation someone has when it comes to copyright info like you see on the bottom of a star wars Burger King toy (per copyright law) but I have seen no evidence that the armor is licensed.

A non disclosure agreement doesn't mean "lie instead".  After sifting through the various stories that I personally heard from ANOVOS staff, I find it hard to take anything they say at face value.

Side note:

The guy at the ANAVOS booth (white hat) was clearly aware of the inner workings of our recent VONC, Amy's distraught state, and the fact that she and her husband paid for their armor because he was the one that did the invoice. I was informed that we made a wrong decision in the recall election.I wonder why would he would know of this or why he would care?

That's exactly what they told me at the Rubies booth about their stormtrooper and their Vader :lol:

Many of us are curious to know how you obtained your bucks. Did you cast an actual screen used suit, or did Disney supply you with the 3D printed bucks?

If you took a 3D cad file and built your own bucks from that, with cardboard and bodo, you have done a fan sculpt, not too different than building from pep. No shame in that. Fan sculpts usually look better.

I was told by the ANAVOS staff, that the display model was in fact a 3D printed (rapid prototype) model. I knew this to be untrue due to the red bondo showing through the seams. Furthermore, you can actually tell a 3D model by the tiny dots that it is built up with, like pixels in a photo or the sormtroopers in the TFA room.

One more question:

Do you have any proof that this TFA armor is a licensed product? I was told by the ANOVOS staff that these kits were mass produced in China. I believe this to be the case with the helmet but not the armor. It doesn't matter what size operation someone has when it comes to copyright info like you see on the bottom of a star wars Burger King toy (per copyright law) but I have seen no evidence that the armor is licensed.

A non disclosure agreement doesn't mean "lie instead". After sifting through the various stories that I personally heard from ANOVOS staff, I find it hard to take anything they say at face value.

Side note:

The guy at the ANAVOS booth (white hat) was clearly aware of the inner workings of our recent VONC, Amy's distraught state, and the fact that she and her husband paid for their armor because he was the one that did the invoice. I was informed that we made a wrong decision in the recall election.I wonder why would he would know of this or why he would care?

Something everyone forgets...the owners of ANOVOS are MEMBERS!!

As for your other concerns I would suggest you take it up directly with ANOVOS, but I am willing to bet that they will not divulge how they made their own forming bucks and molds.

Furthermore if they were not an approved licensee we would not even see this armor in our members hands right now, let alone be able to walk around in it at celebration.

Edited by thechosenhitman