Question about Hytektoyz Voice changer & Mic placement

I watched a video on you tube about the Hytektoyz stormtrooper digital voice changer, it actually sounded really good on the video, even had the transmit sounds. All mounts very easy in your helmet. I did a lot of looking here on the forum for info on these, and found none. So out of curiosity, I bought one to try. Has anyone had experience with these? I expect mine next week.

The other question I have, that I could not find info on, the speaker on this unit mounts right behind the vocoder. Has anyone drilled tiny holes in the vocoder creases and mounted the speaker? By venting the vocoder, more sound would come out, and it would eliminate some of the feedback issues. If the holes were small enough, I can't imagine they would be visible, or is that a no-no?

Newbie here, have a rt-mod kit on the way, should be here next week so I can get started on my build, really excited about it.

Has anyone had experience with these? I expect mine next week.

The other question I have, that I could not find info on, the speaker on this unit mounts right behind the vocoder. Has anyone drilled tiny holes in the vocoder creases and mounted the speaker? By venting the vocoder, more sound would come out, and it would eliminate some of the feedback issues. If the holes were small enough, I can't imagine they would be visible, or is that a no-no?

Hey Brett,

Question 1 - I owned one of these, though they've gotten better they're no where close to a ROM/FX or Anker system however, you should get some enjoyment out it for a while then eventually, like everyone else trade it in for something better. Have fun

Question 2 - I wouldn't suggest drilling any holes in it, the speaker provided by HTT is plenty loud.

Hope this helps, feel free to PM me if you have any other question

Oh speaking of which I have a interest thread I just put up today regarding the sale of Hovi Tip with speakers. Let me know on that thread if you're interested

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/31168-hovi-mic-tips-with-speakers-interest-check/#entry400486

Here is a link to the video of this unit:

========

Hopefully that worked, if not, yahoo HYTECHTOYS stormtrooper voice changer.

I received the unit yesterday. First impression is that it was constructed nicely, pretty solid. The unit I received is a bit different than the video. Smaller controller box. It does as advertised. Sounds alot like the video, BUT, its not very loud. Pretty sure I am going to end up running it through an amplifier. I will mount it in the helmet first (really appealing thing about this unit is its small and very easy to install, all in the helmet, and its complete).

I did torture my wife in bed last night with it. She said she thought is was loud enough as I was ordered to go sleep on the couch for too many droid jokes. But I doubt it will be loud enough placed behind the vocoder as recommended in the video. Prolly going to try hovi speakers with it next, and if that does not project loud enough, I have an old Radio Shack Archer mini amp I will use with it. Love to be able to keep it all in the helmet.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working
  • Like 2

Keep in mind that what might sound loud enough when you're indoors at home is nowhere near loud enough when you're outside or at a con, trooping.

Keep in mind that what might sound loud enough when you're indoors at home is nowhere near loud enough when you're outside or at a con, trooping.

Regarding Hytechtoys, without an additional amp you would be correct. Their amp is not quite enough for louder areas.  

It's true of all systems. But good ones have amps and volume controls that allow then to become loud enough to work.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

It's true of all systems. But good ones have amps and volume controls that allow then to become loud enough to work.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Yes, you definitely get what your pay for.

I do wish I would have gone with the Icomm now, but I thought it was worth a try. It does sound good, plenty loud with my archer mini amp, but does not have the mic effects the icomm does. He makes the sound with a puff of air in the mic. Not a cheap unit either. Lessons learned! I am sure it will sound great when I get it mounted and amped. Pics coming on my RT-mod build later this week. I will try to post pics and maybe a tiny vid of the mount of this and the sound.

I do wish I would have gone with the Icomm now, but I thought it was worth a try. It does sound good, plenty loud with my archer mini amp, but does not have the mic effects the icomm does. He makes the sound with a puff of air in the mic. Not a cheap unit either. Lessons learned! I am sure it will sound great when I get it mounted and amped. Pics coming on my RT-mod build later this week. I will try to post pics and maybe a tiny vid of the mount of this and the sound.

Hytechtoys though a bit on the lower end of the spectrum is still a great concept, incorporating all your electronics in the helmet is a awesome idea.

The big brother to the HTT is the ROM/FX, though significantly more expensive (total setup consisting of a modifier, amp, mic and speakers) the concept is the same. Those that have them, from what I've heard, love them. 

I'm not saying don't buy iComm/Aker however, If all incorporated is still your objective don't give up on it. Migrate up to the next level and sell off what you longer want to use. 

Rom/FX is easily the best modifier on the market. Much better than the icomm. But unfortunately quite expensive and has longer waiting time between production runs. It's not something you buy on a whim.

Rom/FX is easily the best modifier on the market. Much better than the icomm. But unfortunately quite expensive and has longer waiting time between production runs. It's not something you buy on a whim.

That's for sure. 

Brett if you're interested in the ROM/FX I believe he's doing a run as we speak. www.romfx.com

I brought one of these and it is pretty quite, and it keeps feeding back where ever I put in the helmet, the mic is also not great either. I'm trying to add a speaker in my chest plate that's wireless at the moment .

The problem is with this kit I believe is the speaker is inside the helmet. You need them outside to reduce or eliminate the mic feedback. If you're interested I have Hovi Tips with speakers I'll be selling in the next couple weeks. This should resolve your issue.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/31168-hovi-mic-tips-with-speakers-interest-check/

Edited by ukswrath
  • Like 1

You are correct, Tony.. I had a lot of trouble with feedback, and I ended up having to mount the speaker towards the top part of my bucket to eliminate it.  It works for now, is good for the price, and easy to set up, but I will be upgrading to another system at some point... as soon as I go back to school for my advanced electronic engineering degree. :P  (You know my computer skills are limited, Tony, well, my small electrics knowledge is worse),LOL  I can wire a house or fuse panel, but not a bucket mic!

Edited by justjoseph63

You are correct, Tony.. I had a lot of trouble with feedback, and I ended up having to mount the speaker towards the top part of my bucket to eliminate it.  It works for now, is good for the price, and easy to set up, but I will be upgrading to another system at some point... as soon as I go back to school for my advanced electronic engineering degree. :P  (You know my computer skills are limited, Tony, well, my small electrics knowledge is worse),LOL  I can wire a house or fuse panel, but not a bucket mic!

hahaha, Joseph in time I'll have you wiring a bucket mic to your house :laugh1: 

The key thing here folks is use what you can afford and are comfortable with. Don't rush out a buy something just because it's the latest, greatest or what some ya hoo tells you to use. :peace:    

• Like 2

The problem is with this kit I believe is the speaker is inside the helmet. You need them outside to reduce or eliminate the mic feedback. If you're interested I have Hovi Tips with speakers I'll be selling in the next couple weeks. This should resolve your issue.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/31168-hovi-mic-tips-with-speakers-interest-check/

I will order one from you sounds perfect

Hey guys, I will receive my armor the day after tomorrow and adding the voice changer to the helmet is really something I am looking forward to.

I understand that this Hytchtoyz kit is worth it, at least for the price, but the speaker isn't the best in terms of quality and placement. I am then considering buying the GHovic Mic from the member Ukswrath.

I have limited knowledge of electronics, would you think this modification would be easily done ? Would you recommend it ?

Thanks in advance guys