Bondo Replacement

Darth Aloha

Jeroen, if you have an ACE Hardware, you can get their name brand Plastic welder in the purple two part tube. It's the same stuff.

If you still can't find it, I can pick some up and ship it to you. Forewarned, I went through 12 tubes building the TFA.

Oh, and I don't like JB anything.

• Like 1

Thanks, I was afraid for this. Guess I'll have to look a bit further for a decent one :)

The JB PlasticWeld has a PSI of 360, the DevCon one has a PSI of 3500. This is a bit why I was wondering :)

I think the first one I used was around 1200psi then I moved up to a 3500 one which has held fast for going on two years now.

• Like 2

Big fan of ABS paste as well... I use it for most of my clone stuff, unless I'm in a rush (it's a few days to reach full hardness). I've never had it crack, but if you put it on too havily you can warp the plastic (since it's got a LOT of acetone in it)

Jeroen, if you have an ACE Hardware, you can get their name brand Plastic welder in the purple two part tube. It's the same stuff.

If you still can't find it, I can pick some up and ship it to you. Forewarned, I went through 12 tubes building the TFA.

Yeah they told me about ACE.. we have them on the island, but they're not exactly near us lol, I was hoping to find something somewhere more accessible to me, but will try ACE if nothing else :)

We went through close to 20 tubes of the DevCon. We hardly touched the CA glue at all. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Devcon Plastiweld is awesome. I used 12+ tubes building my RC, and have not had a crack in it at all. It takes a flogging.

• 2 weeks later...

when I worked on my animated clone I used extra thick CA glue (so it would't run) and kicker.  I also used 3M Acrylwhite Glazing putty to fill cracks.

I was afraid to use the trusty e6000 for the seam glue as its flexible and I was afraid that would lead to cracks. 

The CA held fine, and the extra thick stuff helped fill the small seams.  The larger seams I used the glazing putty on.  It does nto need to be mixed, dries fairly quickly sands easily, takes paint very well, and I was very happy with it through multiple troops.

I had planned to take the same route when I start building my TFA.  

• Like 1

Looking at the line of products from Devcon as my filler for larger gaps. I have both their S-6 and S-31 readily available, both seem to be rated up to 2500 psi. It seems the S-6 is meant more for metals and the S-31states its "all purpose" even though it doesn't list as bonding to plastics.

I'm leaning towards the 31. Is that the right call?

Edit -

Another option available is loctite's epoxy plastic bonder rated at 3450 psi.

Edited by Vertex

On 6/28/2015 at 10:32 AM, plushie said:

We tried to use loctite's epoxy plastic bonder with my build and I don't know if we got a bad tube or what, but it was useless and did not bond at all.

Well that's disappointing to hear. Could there be two versions of this? I wonder as I've seen two versions with slightly different packaging - one rated at 3200 the other at 3450.

Edit..

Here's the one rated at 3450. The 3200 has basically same packaging just says "epoxy plastic" vs "epoxy plastic bonder" and has a plastic yellow toolbox instead of the chair.

------------

Edit 2..

Found the other one. I just notice one has a 20 min set time vs 5 min.

----------

Plushie do you happen to remember which one you guys used?

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

Well besides what was mentioned here I called a couple plastic and body shops. For ABS or equivalent plastics Devcon Plastic Welder II for bonding and Evercoat Poly-Flex Flexible Polyester glazing putty for the filler are the best on the market. With that said we'll see how they work.  

I elected to purchase the following off Amazon:

Devcon Plastic Welder II - P/N 14340, 47ml cartridge (x2) (less waste, easier and cleaner to apply then the standard store sizes)

Devcon Mark 5 gun - P/N 230-14280

Devcon mixing tips - 10 pack, P/N ?

Evercoat Poly-Flex Flexible Polyester glazing putty, 30oz P/N 411 ( have some automotive repairs to do also, this will be perfect)

Once the goodies arrive I'll post my experiences on my build thread. Thank you all for your feedback.

Edited by ukswrath
  • Like 2

Well besides what was mentioned here I called a couple plastic and body shops. For ABS or equivalent plastics Devcon Plastic Welder II for bonding and Evercoat Poly-Flex Flexible Polyester glazing putty for the filler are the best on the market. With that said we'll see how they work.  

Devcon Plastic Welder II - P/N 14340, 47ml cartridge (x2) (less waste, easier and cleaner to apply then the standard store sizes)

Evercoat Poly-Flex Flexible Polyester glazing putty, 30oz P/N 411 ( have some automotive repairs to do also, this will be perfect)

Once the goodies arrive I'll post my experiences on my build thread. Thank you all for your feedback.

You chose wisely.

• Like 1

That's going to be one sweet ride!  Oh, wait...

That's going to be one sweet ride!  Oh, wait...

lol, hoping, Hey my friend how are ya? Keeping your side of the country free from rebel forces I hope  :D

Well here's my current plan of attack.

For areas where....

- Don't expect a lot of flexing (Ie. Biceps / thighs) = ABS hobby glue.

- Some flexing (Ie. shins) = E6000

- Gap filling = DevCon plastic weld (only able to get 6 tubes so I need to be conservative in its use)

Edited by Vertex

• 2 weeks later...