Disney's stormtrooper voice changing mask

I'd rather not have a PTT running down my arm, but I did buy one from iComm. Better than doing a MGS ear gesture every time. Vox would be ideal, but I worry about the static bursts etc. That's definitely the next step, I just need to figure out how the mic would activate the switch : \

Edited by charlesnarles

I wired in a female 3.5 connector as you did, but for the mic and tested two different mic types in hopes it would help. Neither helped, always came back with a weak output. I believe the built-in amplifier just isn't robust enough for higher amplification. Heck I went so far as to add a amplifier after the PCB, still no luck, hence the reason I've been watching this thread to let someone else beat their head against the wall for a while :laugh1: Maybe you'll have better luck.

Is your output as low as on an iPhone? Might be that the jack itself isn't connecting all the way. Mines almost as loud as the mask's speaker

I am working on the voice activation

i successfully swapped the button switch with a tiny transistor, now i can turn on and off the voice changer digitally via arduino

next, the sound sensor connected to arduino should activate the voice changer when detects that noisy is higher than a given threshold and turn off when is lower, followed by the static burst effect

the problem is the sound sensor i am using is very low quality and not fit the project, must find another IC

IMG_20150823_WA0036.jpg

Edited by skyone
  • Like 1

Awesome work on these voice changers! Are these still fail able nowhere? Disney online store is sold out. Contacted them and they said no foreseeable stock on these masks available at this time.

• 2 months later...

Awesome work on these voice changers! Are these still fail able nowhere? Disney online store is sold out. Contacted them and they said no foreseeable stock on these masks available at this time.

It seems like the TFA version has replaced the OT ones. Has anyone tried one to see if the electronics are still the same? I don't have a Disney store anywhere near me to check it out in person.

The TFA ones have a total of only 6 quotes iirc, which at this point we can only assume are actually from the movie. I'd guess they used the same or similar hardware, but it kind of pales in comparison to the 20+ classic ANH lines. On the bright side, it'd be much easier to memorize and utilize a list of 6 pretty generic "law-enforcement" lines ("Freeze!" "Take them away." etc.) than a list of 26 context-specific lines in ALMOST film-sequential order. :) Get them while they're available if you ever want one; I genuinely lament buying only one OT mask before they were discontinued. But the 13" talking action figures have the same quotes, only with blaster SFX and a LED replacing the voice changer, and both gen's figures are cheaper than what the masks are going for these days (if you're just gonna gut them anyhow)

Edited by charlesnarles

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...