Clint's Build Thread (TK-61281)

camprandall

4/6/2015 10:58 PM

So, now that I can finally assemble the full shoulder, chest and back, I really wonder if this suit is troopable at all. I can't bend my arm or raise it more than in the picture below, which means I can't take my helmet off, can't take a drink, etc. This seems dangerous. I'm either doing something wrong, or this thick rubber gasket situation is a disaster.

UPDATE (4/26/2015): Yep, rubber gaskets suck! ;) Can't wait for the rubberized fabric versions coming from Wyatt in a week or two. I did end up getting the rubber positioned and trimmed enough later to be able to touch the helmet, but not really take it off.

20150406_194733_zpsq77g5v0o.jpg

Edited by camprandall

4/8/2015 11:32 AM

Alright, I have an expert costume maker for the Renaissance Festival taking a shot at fabric gaskets for me so here's hoping!

All that's left for a complete costume is attaching the knee armor. Woo hoo! I had forgotten about the decals too so spent an hour doing those last night.

UPDATE 4/26/2015: The gaskets were too complex to get done in three days, but Wyatt has a set on the way for me. 

So after trooping this at Celebration, I decided to modify the spats. They're really silly and stick out far and velcroing them the way most of us did just doesn't work very well. Here's what I did today.

Made a little recessed snap piece so that the male snap end could go through the ABS to make the greeblie more flush.

20150426_124059_zps2i1gxzxk.jpg

20150426_124509_zpsmjayn3ui.jpg

20150426_124527_zpsu0hhacvq.jpg

Glued the male snap directly to the greeblie. I glued it on and then put a little pool of glue inside the snap and around the edges so that it would be strong and secure. I also dremelled the inside of the abs very smooth, removing any hint of return, so that I could get it to lay flush as possible. I also attached the greeblie a full inch past the end of the recessed area for it because otherwise the spats are just too wide and look like bells. It still kinda does, but this helps.

20150426_124502_zpshcwpukz9.jpg

Due to the weird shape of these, to make it level I needed a way to force it to rotate a bit since it can spin a bit freely on the snap. I cut a groove in the outer piece and then glued a tiny strip of thick ABS to the inner piece so that you can snap it and lock the rotation in place to make the top of the spat level. It works really well!

20150426_131511_zpspptmgtxz.jpg

Final product.

20150426_131457_zps2jvde5sr.jpg

20150426_131503_zpsapu6dak5.jpg

Edited by camprandall
  • Like 2

Man.. your armor is a very nice piece of work, great job!  :duim: 

*goes back to sanding* lol

;) Thanks! Yeah, sanding. Even though I'm "done", I spent two hours polishing the armor after trooping and getting one spat corrected. She's high maintenance!

• Like 2

At least yours is wearable lol ;)

;) The cool part is even if it takes a couple weeks to get done, you and others will quickly be out there too, months before the movie comes out or the public gets any chance to buy them. It was fun wearing it at Celebration, but a part of me would have really enjoyed stomping around all day in my Classic TK. I can troop that thing all day and still have fun! ;)

• Like 2

;) The cool part is even if it takes a couple weeks to get done, you and others will quickly be out there too, months before the movie comes out or the public gets any chance to buy them. It was fun wearing it at Celebration, but a part of me would have really enjoyed stomping around all day in my Classic TK. I can troop that thing all day and still have fun! ;)

lol that part I do agree with. I was actually relieved at CVII not to have my TFA with me but only my old TK. I throw that thing around without too much worries, I wouldn't have been able to do that with the TFA. Add in the heat the gaskets create... hmm yeah lol

But still..lol! I was hoping to, if I wouldn't be ready for Anaheim, I would at least be able to troop it on May 3rd (for May the fourth be with you).. doesn't really look to be happening either... I switched my hopes to having it done before Episode 7 lol

Do you mind me asking, the little faux snap-clasp details all over the suit, are they all the same size?

I think there were a couple of sizes Natalie. There were 6 total for the legs, one each for the outsides of the spats, shins, and thighs. Then there were one for each bicep and two for each forearm which I believe were smaller. 

Edited by camprandall
  • Like 1

Wow - nice build! Some really good tips in here and it will be a huge help for anyone following in your foot steps.

• Like 2

Congratulations Clint. Not only for that nice piece of armor but for this very great build-thread. You and your fellows have put an extreme amount of sweat and blood into this - and it payed off. As for all of us who are waiting for the armor to be shipped in by fall this year, I would like to say "THANK YOU VERY MUCH" for that helpful documentation. Now I am sure that I need to take a few weeks off for the build of the TFA-Trooper ... :smiley-sw013::D

• Like 1

Glad to see you that you copied your build thread over here!

You and Mike Bender led the way for the rest of the 75, and now a wider audience gets to learn from your trailblazing. Wonderful! :D

• Like 2

This thread is AWESOME!  :duim:

Congrats to you and your mates for this wonderful build.

A needed reference for future TFA troopers.

:salute:

• Like 1

Great Build, it's nice to see how the armor went together and what it looks like on the inside, the amount of Bondo was a surprise to see though, don't like using Bondo as I tend to leave fingerprints all over when I use it, still for a great set of armor I will have to be more careful...........cannot wait till I can order a set :)

• Like 1