Clint's Build Thread (TK-61281)

camprandall

Great Build, it's nice to see how the armor went together and what it looks like on the inside, the amount of Bondo was a surprise to see though, don't like using Bondo as I tend to leave fingerprints all over when I use it, still for a great set of armor I will have to be more careful...........cannot wait till I can order a set :)

Thanks! Yeah, bondo isn't too bad. The detonator was a pain though because it's like 5 pieces that awkwardly go together and have to be seam hidden in several difficult spots.

Ok, here are the belt pics I promised. It's basically all mounted with 1/4" chicago screws. The female end of the screws are glues to the inside of the boxes and then I melted a hole through the inner canvas belt and the outer rubber belt to put the post. I also used it to attach the inner and outer belts near the clips.

20150401_052623_zpsdcl9n7kh.jpg

20150428_051811_zpsk1shh1sx.jpg

20150428_051858_zpszjsyrbt7.jpg

20150428_051825_zpsqsd4i2sx.jpg

20150428_051817_zpsrxumleur.jpg

Edited by camprandall

Here's another thing I should post about. The little boxes on the ab plate were confusing because the numbers on the part sheet didn't line up with the numbers embedded on the ab ABS box indentations so I had to figure out where they went. It wasn't too bad, but I had already cut them out so I don't know if they were originally in order on the ABS sheet. Anyways, it ended up being this arrangement.

Also - when you attach these - I highly recommend getting them to set as flush as possible, which takes a lot of time because they're all shaped weird and even have different curves on the bottom that they do on the top in order to match the curve of the ab. I used Zap-a-Gap to fill the seams at the end, but it's hard to sand so using as little as you need to is good. It's not a fun part of the process because there are seven of those boxes and getting all four sides is tedious. Mine aren't perfect, but I at least made sure there weren't deep gaps or obvious seams.

UPDATE (8/20/2015) - Just an FYI - you really don't want to hide the seams. Mine aren't totally hidden, but after we saw screen suits at Celebration, we realized that the seams were tight, but not completely filled. That's what happens when you don't see the freaking costume until after you've built one. ;)

20150326_064131_zpsosazrahr.jpg

20150326_064158_zpsfyzjqgsg.jpg

Here's how it ended up (with primer only - no gloss yet)

20150331_221518_zpssguqfpz1.jpg

Edited by camprandall

My husband spent SO many hours on my ab plate with the boxes. Since we used the plastic weld, while it holds oh so well, it's rough to sand, especially in those areas. So for folks looking to use the weld, be prepared to have bondo or bondo putty or some other filler ready as you will need it to make things smooth and look nice under the primer and paint. 

This picture is from after we were done sanding, bondo putty, and a shot of primer. 

post-22799-0-28589400-1430235816_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

That looks awesome Shana! And yeah, I had Tasha talking me into starting to use plastic weld as well yesterday.. I was not able to go and get it just yet, but I'm hopeful about using it :)

• Like 1

I'm actively replacing the 5 or 6 inches of bondo on the inside of the forearms (by the clips) with slurry to prevent future cracking. Between that and the thicker ABS interior support, I think it will work. I do wonder if the JB Weld would have been easier to apply though because the slurry is a clumpy mess. ;)

Edited by camprandall
  • Like 1

So I Zap-a-gapped the velcro on my thigh gaskets to the velcro on my thighs so it couldn't come off and walking was much easier today! I walked freely without worrying about popping. While it's hot and it's tiring with all the tightness in the arms and chest, it was nice not having any wardrobe issues today!

So you're saying that basically the gaskets are now permanently attached to the armor through the velcro parts? That doesn't sound like a too bad an idea. 

So you're saying that basically the gaskets are now permanently attached to the armor through the velcro parts? That doesn't sound like a too bad an idea. 

Yep! It's industrial velcro though so I can just peel the velcro off and detach it with some force so it's only permanent in that it doesn't come off during trooping.

Wow!
This was a fantastic thread. Thank you so much for all the pix and descriptions.
I WAS jealous seeing all the new TK builds, but you guys really earned it.
I'll  wander back to the now-much-simpler-looking ANH build threads. :laugh1:

• Like 1

Wow!

This was a fantastic thread. Thank you so much for all the pix and descriptions.

I WAS jealous seeing all the new TK builds, but you guys really earned it.

I'll  wander back to the now-much-simpler-looking ANH build threads. :laugh1:

Nice! Yeah, it was a tough one but I learned a lot of new things through it. The classic TK is a fun build!

• Like 1

Yep! It's industrial velcro though so I can just peel the velcro off and detach it with some force so it's only permanent in that it doesn't come off during trooping.

I'm planning on doing the same thing and also making it a semi-permanent connection. I was going to try and use E6000 but I like your way better. I plan on permanently connecting the knee gaskets to the thighs, the elbow gaskets to both the forearms and biceps, and - if I can figure out how to get in and out of it - the shoulder gaskets to the biceps. Just seems easier that way.

• Like 1

I'm planning on doing the same thing and also making it a semi-permanent connection. I was going to try and use E6000 but I like your way better. I plan on permanently connecting the knee gaskets to the thighs, the elbow gaskets to both the forearms and biceps, and - if I can figure out how to get in and out of it - the shoulder gaskets to the biceps. Just seems easier that way.

Yep! It's much quicker to get into or out of and is more stable. ;)

The problem with permanently attaching them to the thighs, would be that it makes it kind of impossible to switch them around if you have the fabric gaskets and or the rubber ones..

• Like 1

The problem with permanently attaching them to the thighs, would be that it makes it kind of impossible to switch them around if you have the fabric gaskets and or the rubber ones..

So keep in mind that this is just permanently attaching the velcro to itself, not to the armor. The velcro is industrial sticky velcro that can be peeled off. I don't anticipate switching back and forth because of the headache with fitting and getting it to stay on, but it can certainly be switched out if needed. The Zap-a-Gap is not really permanent either, but holds up to trooping action just fine.

• Like 2

so how much strapping is needed? is it pretty much just the yolk and then what's used to hold up the thighs? is the rest held together by the gaskets?

i'd love to see more pics of your strapping set up if it's not too much of a bother.

So keep in mind that this is just permanently attaching the velcro to itself, not to the armor. The velcro is industrial sticky velcro that can be peeled off. I don't anticipate switching back and forth because of the headache with fitting and getting it to stay on, but it can certainly be switched out if needed. The Zap-a-Gap is not really permanent either, but holds up to trooping action just fine.

Point taken, I forgot about the velcro and thought it was going to be attached directly to the ABS lol

so how much strapping is needed? is it pretty much just the yolk and then what's used to hold up the thighs? is the rest held together by the gaskets?

i'd love to see more pics of your strapping set up if it's not too much of a bother.

I'll see if I can take some pics tomorrow. In a nutshell, here's what was involved in my build at least. It's not a lot of strapping, but a good bit of velcro. Hopefully I didn't forget something here.

• Elastic connecting the front abs "wings" with the two snaps to hold the separate chest piece in place
  • Two canvas straps with buckles on the front and back of the shoulder gaskets to keep it strapped close to me
  • Velcro on the lower left and right flaps of the chest piece to attach to the back piece
  • Velcro connecting the biceps to the shoulder gaskets
  • Velcro connecting the biceps to the elbow gaskets
  • Velcro connecting the elbow gaskets to the forearms
  • Thigh garter system with wide elastic to hang the thighs (like most traditional TKs)
  • Velcro on the inside of the upper thermal det overhang and floated velcro on the bottom to keep it against the back/corset piece
  • Velcro connecting the knee plates to the knee gaskets
  • Velcro connecting the hand plates to the gloves
  • Velcro connecting the thighs to the knee gaskets
  • Velcro connecting the knee gaskets to the shins
  • Velcro on the inside seams of the shins for opening
  • Small velcro bits to keep the spats in place