New E-11 (F11-D) Blaster - Episode VII The Force Awakens / Random Thoughts About Production

First of all, someone please move this to an appropriate subsection (or new subsection must one start? ANH this is not)

A brief comment on what has occurred to date: As we caught glimpses of during the first released trailer for Ep. VII, Disney (maybe just JJ Abrams, herein after "they" will refer to both Mr. Abrams and Disney) may have done a wonderful job of updating the tech for the new film in a way that would please old Georgie boy. That is to say that they have taken the tech from the original trilogy, and updated it instead of creating an entirely new, synthetic world as was done for the prequel trilogy in the late 90's - early 2000's. As many of us know, when GL was filming ANH, he wanted to create a world that was truly lived in, and one in which the characters on the side and in the background had lives and backgrounds and stories about them. This is the entire reason the "Expanded Universe" was made possible. I personally think we would be hard pressed to find many people who disagree that some grave errors were made during the production of the prequels, which created a more sterile, or as previously stated "synthetic," environment. 

Yes, CGI of that caliber was the zeitgeist of that period; it was the first time that the stage (for a filmed production) could be created on computers that actually looked believable (to a certain extent). Yes, there is some logic in that to connect the prequels to the original trilogy, there had to be some "great disrupting event" that established the Rebel vs. Empire scenario. Yes, sci-fi design of the 70's was much different than the sleek, nearly minimalist sci-fi that has evolved over the years. But if you take a good look at comparing the two trilogies, this change was perhaps the biggest failure of Episodes I, II, and III [other than maybe the casting director's decision to cast H***** (not here to talk s***) as Anakin, and the decision to create Jar Jar Binks]. 

The New E-11: The images recently published of the new Stormtrooper has also given us a look at the new standard issue Imperial weapon. Upon first glance, it may look completely different than the E-11's fans have been building and buying for decades, but it really is not. They have "updated," shall we say, the original E-11 in a believable way. After all, the film does take place three decades after ROTJ, and we are ourselves four decades down the road. And there should be some changes, but what they have not done is reinvented the wheel.  

The most noticeable change, perhaps, is that many parts are white. The black/white combination is perfectly in line with a Stormtrooper theme, and the white parts help bring the weapon into the modern age of sci-fi in my opinion. If you look at these parts that have become white, they are parts of the grip, clip, receiver, end cap, scope rail, muzzle, and folding stock (wonder if this is functional?!). The fact remains however, these were all parts present on the original E-11's. The folding stock on its own is perhaps the most unique characteristic of the Sterling SMG. Keeping the new weapon based on the "old" weapon is one of the greatest things they could have done.

Now granted, if Stormtroopers did not wear white armor, I might lean toward saying the white parts give this a bit of a cheap, fake look, but let's hold off on that for a moment. The new T-Tracks do kind of suck. That's just a straightforward point. They look like the crappy Hasbro tracks as opposed to an actually functional part of the weapon. Instead of "cooling rails," they look more like just a grip for the forward hand. 

The scopes they have chosen certainly do some justice. They look to actually be functional, with the adjustment knob on top (the old ones were not much, the tank telescopes used provided little to no magnification, and were instead used as calibrating devices for the periscopes in which they were mounted), and seem a bit more streamlined to follow the theme of "updating" vs. reinventing.

On the other hand (literally not figuratively), they have moved the clip to the right-hand side of the weapon, making it possible to holster the weapon on the right-hand side! Functionally, this is perhaps the most realistic change they could have made. Sorry to all the lefties out there, but most people are right handed. In the original trilogy the holsters could not realistically be used, because drawing a weapon from the opposite side of your body is practically impossible (though would explain why Stormtroopers always get shot before they can do anything... actually this makes no sense because, as stated, the holsters aren't used...). This simple change, I believe, just goes to show the detail and level of thought that went into creating something "realistic" or "believable" to a certain extent.

(On a side note, the new "batting/football-style" gloves kind of suck. The black chemical glove with white handplate was enough of a contrast and fit in with the entire Stormtrooper motif; there was simply no need to do this and I think it looks a bit off when viewed close up, though I doubt anyone will notice on screen.) 

Anyway, please feel free to chime in. I've said enough...

I like how the weapon blends in with the armor. modern camo...  just like dirt applied on purpose on a dusty planet.  (you don't think they left it dirty on accident do you?)

Sstormtroopers in the OT are always said to have heads up displays.  the scope is basically a camera. the weapon has locking and target id built in.

Ever play battlefront?  just sayin'

Troopers were ordered to lock onto doors, and walls when chasing Lord Vader's son around.

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

The new TFA troopers will not get holsters. The only holstering mechanism is the hotter clip mounted on the right thigh. The blasters would have nubs that fit into slots. Kind of like how a picture slides onto a nail. I have seen this with a smaller pistol type weapon. Never with the full size.

As of right now TFA owners will either need to make their own or use their E11. No one has officially signed on as a TFA blaster maker.

I like how the weapon blends in with the armor. modern camo...  just like dirt applied on purpose on a dusty planet.  (you don't think they left it dirty on accident do you?)

Sstormtroopers in the OT are always said to have heads up displays.  the scope is basically a camera. the weapon has locking and target id built in.

Ever play battlefront?  just sayin'

Troopers were ordered to lock onto doors, and walls when chasing Lord Vader's son

around.

I always use this arguement when people say stormtroopers are bad shots, It's like would you want the trilogy to end at A New Hope? No! Neither does Vader thats his kid running around.

• Like 1

Compared with the classic E-11, some parts have been moved to the other side. Due to moving the magazine and magazine well to the opposite side, I doubt real Sterlings can be used for a conversion any longer.

The same can be said for softair guns or paintball guns (or whatever has been made to look like a real Sterling). It won't work anymore and at the same time it might make life a bit easier for us, as we don't have any risk of shipping deactivated firearms across the world and struggle about conflicts with the law just for our hobby.

However, the mirrored appearance of the TFA blaster will (in my opinion) mainly lead to resin builds and 3D-prints. Yes, after a while somebody will surely offer an aluminum version, but the majority of builds will be resin or scratch builds (unless Disney might offer a licensed kit for us).

And who knows, maybe I have to offer a different type Completion Sets, specifically designed for the TFA blaster...

I'm excited about this gun but 'm just as excited about a new DLT-19 or T-21 equivalent. From what I can see in the most recently captured screen shot showing the variety of TKs, the HWT's blaster appears to be a bit larger, though not by much. If it's indeed the replacement I'll be a bit disappointed however, I will reserve judgement for the movie.

On the other hand, though I like the big guns I surely wouldn't mind being able throw a nice assault rifle sized blaster over my shoulders like Tom Cruise in Oblivion while also being able to thigh holster the smaller blaster.  :jc_doublethumbup:

I'm really wishing I had taken close up shots of the one the Anovos 10 had. I mean it was right there in front of me when I was taking a water break in the back of the Anovos booth.

Here's a question for armour owners. We're all thinking that the weapon stowage is the greeblie on the right thigh. What exactly does it look like? Would it be functional, if a resin E11 TFa blaster was hung from it? How would the weapon be suspended?

There are a couple people either here or on the RPF that are developing 3D files of the new blaster. I think having specific measurements and details of the thigh mount would be really helpful for them.

Would it be functional, if a resin E11 TFa blaster was hung from it? How would the weapon be suspended?

It's basically a latch system from what I understand, but I can see some mods needed to the greeblie before it is good enough to function like that. 

Btw, isn't it a different weapon hanging on the side than the E11? It kind of looked like he had a side arm in addition to his E11. 

XazeHgg.jpg

Looking at it, if there's a blaster hanging the size of an E11, it may be too big and interfere with how you walk.

the holster looks like it would be something like a keymod system, but the resin doesn't allow for that to work. In order to properly do that the holster needs to be made from layered aluminum.

• Like 1

Vern- Never said I didn't like em. In fact, if you read what I wrote, I do in fact like what they've done by staying true to the originals, while reasonably updating them given a 30 year time difference. The white does look a bit cheap, but cool and does blend in as you say. No, I have not played battlefront.........

Gaz- Holster or not, it seems like the switch of the mag may have initially been to enable holstering. Regardless, it's possible......?

Others- just talking about how they stayed true and updated, instead of reinventing, which is awesome. It is in the spirit of the original films.

the holster looks like it would be something like a keymod system, but the resin doesn't allow for that to work. In order to properly do that the holster needs to be made from layered aluminum.

At first I was thinking of a magnetized holster, but the holster being some sort of keymod system/bracket kind of seems more likely

The TFA side-arm kind of looks like the RMQ Concept Boba side-arm

Edited by Tk Gino

What I overheard was that there were different attachments to the right thigh base. Thus you would affix one adapter for the E-11 and a different one for the pistol.

I do see that the new blaster or at least one of them has a light on the front as seen in the video

Correct. I held one of the demo blasters made for C7 that was a replica from Disney (so they said). There is a tac light under the muzzle and a thumb switch on the left side, that is perfectly placed where your left thumb would go. Talking to ANOVOS one idea on a replica blaster was to have a working tac light in addition to correct red LED's on the counter, and - I'm speculating - even a blue (or red) LED for the barrel proper.

Apparently the stock unfolds too just like the Sterlings do (though we never see that in the OT). Not sure if we'll ever see that in the movie though.

• Like 2

If it helps, we now know that there is actual metal screw hardware that is part of the larger resin holster. Some of us were able to acquire a set at or prior to SWCA and install it in our thigh holsters (I did - it took some effort to do). Time will tell whether or not it will be enough to make the thigh holster function as intended.

If it helps, we now know that there is actual metal screw hardware that is part of the larger resin holster. Some of us were able to acquire a set at or prior to SWCA and install it in our thigh holsters (I did - it took some effort to do). Time will tell whether or not it will be enough to make the thigh holster function as intended.

what type of screw is it? do you hvae a pic?

The set is available from McMaster-Carr. Here is the list - each one has a part number associated with it. I'll have to find and post a pic of exactly how they are mounted later, unless someone else beats me to it.

1 - 3/4" bottom mounting screw

1 - 1" top mounting screw

1 - 3/4" button head screw

6 - 1/2" flat head screws

1 - 1/8" stainless spacer, no.6 (to go around the button head screw)

The set is available from McMaster-Carr. Here is the list - each one has a part number associated with it. I'll have to find and post a pic of exactly how they are mounted later, unless someone else beats me to it.

1 - 3/4" bottom mounting screw

1 - 1" top mounting screw

1 - 3/4" button head screw

6 - 1/2" flat head screws

1 - 1/8" stainless spacer, no.6 (to go around the button head screw)

Are you talking about this? 

gallery_12157_64_6285759.jpg

• Like 1

There's thread on the RPF about this issue.  Check it out, there have been some really fantastic renders on the mounting system incorporating a spring plate to lock it into place while thigh mounted, and some locking holes on the corresponding E-11 blaster.  

I think that a lot of people see gaps between the plates on the holster mount, and are attributing it to poor workmanship on the prop or assembly crew.  It look like the gap is actually caused by the holster retention spring plate.  It applies a shear and compression force to the corresponding tabs in the weapon, keeping said weapon in place.

Edited by Necronaut
  • Like 1

There's thread on the RPF about this issue.  Check it out, there have been some really fantastic renders on the mounting system incorporating a spring plate to lock it into place while thigh mounted, and some locking holes on the corresponding E-11 blaster.  

Hi Brett, can you post a link for us?

Finding the droids we are looking for, seems easier than finding something on the RPF ;)