The Force Awakens Stormtrooper CRL

Darth Aloha

Is the MP40 the same as the one for Sandtroopers? Would the ones from Trooperbay work?
I don't see why not as l okng as it's the standard 3 pouch design.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Most of the Sandtroopers I have seen have the MP40 pouches made from canvas, as you can see in the following photo the TFA is leather (or leather like) but appears the same design

EExLBYt.jpg

Actually

20.AMMO POUCHES: 

• All Sandtrooper armor parts are weathered.
  • Black in color, made of canvas, leather or leather-like German MP-40 style ammo pouches.

3 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Ahhh yes the completely 100% accuracy of CRL's :laugh1:

Although you have to admit it would look awfully silly of the MEPD to allow the leather at the SWAT level if there wasn't some authenticity to it don't you think? ;)

Just now, Daetrin said:

You guys do realize that you can recommend changes, right?  And that L1 isn't meant to be 100% accurate?

I think were just throwing out suggestions at this point lol

• Daetrin unpinned this topic
  • 4 weeks later...

Since I'm ramping up R&D on my Cardinal build while I wait rather impatiently for my KB boot armor and ANOVOS kit and helmet, I undertook a draft CRL, mashing up the relevant bits of the FOTK and Phasma ones. Ran across a couple things in the FOTK CRL that probably ought to be re-examined, now that the film is available for high-res scrutiny. Mostly L2/L3 stuff. A few typos. ;)

For the helmet, I think there should be at least a passing mention of the "ear indents". Typos are "grove" where it should say "groove", and the use of "circumvent" (to evade by going around) where the proper term is "circumscribe". Also, some nice, brightly-lit shots (thank you, Abu Dhabi) showing the color and bubble-ness of the lenses:

5a47fba1596be_FOTKBubbleLenses01.jpg.4d13abc8ad0adf8a3f9ce958c07b6606.jpg

5a47fba5c9b62_FOTKBubbleLenses02.jpg.925210d6a764906b25b79afd6d711711.jpg

...and of how much of one's head is (not) visible, even from a low angle, if the helmet is fitted properly:

5a47fbaba0d59_FOTKHelmetUndercut01.jpg.ef74f3e7a6c6184d52d6a86597bd2621.jpg

5a47fbb0ed9d5_FOTKHelmetUndercut02.jpg.93d947e7ec1b0d37776c56327173155b.jpg

5a47fbbadc8a6_FOTKHelmetUndercut03.jpg.2c787c8b7136f4dfbcd565b25449a340.jpg

For the "O" on the backplate... I know one of the most difficult aspects of writing CRLs is finding an actually useful and helpful way of saying "make it look like the pictures". So I don't know how is best to specify particular colors or degrees of reflectivity. The "O" is black, yes, but I feel an L2/L3 callout specifying satin black wouldn't go amiss. Since it's something the film makes explicit:

5a4733b286d30_FOTKBackDetails01.jpg.57cd9308f5e55e87d10ee6e70167d987.jpg

5a47fb878bf0a_FOTKBackDetails02.jpg.8b25cb2ff1107636d004f08eac200655.jpg

5a47fb8f415eb_FOTKBackDetails03.jpg.e12eebb05f0f1277b73f90f97a41318a.jpg

And one detail I see ANOVOS got wrong on their earlier armor kits (we don't know about the new version yet) is the deep indents at the top of the yoke, directly behind the wearer's neck. On the ANOVOS kit they're oval, which I don't know how they got wrong, as they're very, very obviously not:

5a47fca13a912_FOTKYokeHoles01.jpg.3aded013f626a3dfe90e0cd1b77980a1.jpg

5a47fca981d3a_FOTKYokeHoles03.jpg.b9191df32537456c0d89eb9724ee41a3.jpg

...with the outer corners ending about even with the neckseal width:

5a47fca401031_FOTKYokeHoles02.jpg.d3fb757ee9e3cc4db4d7767a11745146.jpg

Gonna break things here, and do arms in my next post. Give folks a chance to respond to this one. :)

--Jonah

Edited by Peregrinus

• 4 weeks later...

So, new CRL says you can't have a pauldron and a flak vest for L3. What about this fellow in the deleted scene? Or does that not count?

6da4330a4e469ebfdfa6f46402721124655814cb

gallery-1460723024-star-wars-force-awake

Edited by Harbinger
  • Like 1

I brought this up a while ago, as it was a deleted scene and not in the movie it doesn’t count as a reference. This trooper also wears a shoulder pouch, can see more clearly in side photo speaking with JJ

The CRL was going to be updated as I did supply other references of troopers with vests and pauldrons 

• Like 1

Here is the hallway trooper with JJ, better shot of the pouch, but as I say it was deemed not reference material as it was from a deleted scene.

qz1Rs8K.png

White pauldron with vest

yPx2XI1.png

White pauldron, vest and shoulder pouch

CrZWzKy.png

Black pauldron and vest

LfNmnWF.png

From memory it was changed on the CRL for the basic requirement but perhaps L3 was missed.

1 minute ago, Harbinger said:

Good news. I’m gonna deck myself out like a Christmas tree then. :D

All the bells and whistles. Just call me "deleted trooper" ;) 

Yg7ex1h.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harbinger said:

On that note, I assume Trooperbay’s MP40 pouch will be L3 acceptable for FOTK’s? Or do I need to hunt down a specific one for screen accuracy? [/sidetrack]

They are different this has come up before.

There are different pouches out there, the reference picture that MEPD use that are leather has cut corners on the flaps were the TFA version are straight across. The other type of pouches they show are canvas and the TFA are leather/vinyl as you can see the shine in the photo below. 

I made mine from scratch, not a very difficult job, templates are available from MEPD you just have to alter them so they are straight cut top flaps. Also the side buckle is positioned closer to the pouches.

Left MEPD                                                                                                                                                                  Right Trooperbay equivalent

nUNp7Gw.jpg

Mine

TK_fotk_pouches.png

Leather version with cut corner top flap

360_cdc2a93b4fc4d5cfcf01651fc2761d88.jpg

Seems they can be sourced, just did a google images search and found leather with straight cut flap

91KFWhikvVL._SX355_.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/StormTrooper-SandTrooper-Leather-Magazine-Pouches/dp/B06ZZW3PLL

You lot have toooo much time on your hands. I'm struggling to keep up with the number of conversations and post happening all over the place :smiley-sw013:

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Sly11 said:

You lot have toooo much time on your hands. I'm struggling to keep up with the number of conversations and post happening all over the place :smiley-sw013:

I get bored waiting for approvals so start digging for details :laugh1: