The Force Awakens Stormtrooper CRL

Darth Aloha

No way dude. Most of that stuff (if seen) can be level 2/3 stuff someday.

-Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lol I don't mean for basic but for what will eventually need to be added.

Based on my history lessons, this is exactly how level 2 and 3 begin. :)<br>

Maybe one day they get moved to level one, but not out of the gate before we've seen the movie at least.

• Like 3

Based on my history lessons, this is exactly how level 2 and 3 begin. :)<br>

Maybe one day they get moved to level one, but not out of the gate before we've seen the movie at least.

Agreed

• Like 1

lol I don't mean for basic but for what will eventually need to be added.

Ah.

Word.

-Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LMO says I'm clear to add the OR about seams in thighs and biceps. I'll try to do it next week. My todo list is a bit full at the moment. 

If anyone's GML gives them crap about seams send them to me in the mean time.

-Eric

• Like 3

Ok, if you were getting ready to paint would you leave the seams in the biceps or not?

For me personally, if I knew then what I know now I would have left the inner seams of the thighs and biceps detached. But Devcon is forever.  :6:

Yeah, mine are already glued with Devcon also, so that ship has sailed for me as well.

BUT, I'm trying to decide what to do about the seams before painting.  Based on these pics, I'm going to leave the inner seams visible.

But everyone agrees the seam next to the pill boxes should be covered, correct?

Edited by Bryanmc

Yeah, mine are already glued with Devcon also, so that ship has sailed for me as well.

BUT, I'm trying to decide what to do about the seams before painting.  Based on these pics, I'm going to leave the inner seams visible.

But everyone agrees the seam next to the pill boxes should be covered, correct?

IMO the inner seams should be accepted at the basic level with or without seams. 

as for the outer seam, what do you mean by should be covered?

I mean make the seam by the pill boxes seamless. That still is a confirmed thing, right? It's only the inner seam that has been identified as not seamless from these pics.

Correct, there's no seam nearest the pill boxes. 

• 2 months later...

Certain clones had particular paint schemes to reflect their individual nature. (Well, that's a whole existential topic right there.) So it appears possible to have an indentified character if there are specific, unique visual identifiers.

Anyways, to bring this back to the CRL, which seems to be on the basic level so far, it seems that individual TKs (ie; Finn TK) would need to have a separate set of "hallmarks" to be able to define and differentiate from other costumes. We haven't seen the movie yet, so who knows how many bloody handprint outfits there could be to differentiate the "Finn TK" from a just-got-blown-up-real-good TK. I suppose a better anology than clones would be imperial officers that have slight variations to designate who they are. There's the basic imperial officer CRL, and there's particular identifiers for some speciifc officers. I understand that some garrisons/members like to be able to specifically identify who they are portraying, so this ability might be useful for those who like to portray a specific TK. I suppose then it's possible, once the movie comes out, to weather your outfit to be the TFA TK that was second to the left in the scene when ___ blew up, or the TK on the extreme right of the____ lens-flare at 20.49min of the movie. However, I would caution against codifying these unique characteristics to the point where our GML's are bogged down trying to verify millimeter paint schemes just to be the second TK to the right and so on. Hopefully there's a happy medium for folks that want to be a specific TK (like a black/grey/red paldron wearing TK) without creating a landslide of minutia. I agree with the general thought that characters in armour will remain 501st/"darkside," even if the character in the armour is "light side" in nature per the movie plot.

Happily, our basic CRL allows for entry level, and folks can choose to get more specific as time wears on. I know I've put further enhancements and accuracy upgrades on hold till the movie comes out. I'd like to see how some specific items mentioned during various accuracy discussions appear on film/ the big screen. The previews seem to show there'll be plenty o'weathering potential for folks that like the battle damaged look. I'm looking forward to seeing all the environments that the the TKs are placed... heck I'm looking forward to just seeing an army of troopers on the big screen again!

Thanks again for all the work on the basic CRL! Go team FISD! -Krista :atat:

Sorry for the necro, but I'm still curious about Trooper Finn approval. Would it be possible to get his "Jakku raid" appearance approved, with the bloody helmet, etc? Is that distinctive enough marking? How would one go about inquiring about such a thing? I don't want to bother dirtying up my Armor for no reason :)

FWIW, the Rebel Legion has already decided NOT to allow any of the Trooper variants of heroes, including Finn, as they consider them disguises and not representative of the actual characters. So the 501st is the last place I think Trooper Finn could fit, otherwise it just becomes a costume stuck in limbo, which I feel would be unfortunate given how iconic that bloody handprint has become.

• Like 1

I would say you'd have do to one and see if the LMO will buy in. It is election time, so probably best to wait until we see who the new LMO is. I'd guess if allowed it would be just an option on the regular CRL, not a separate CRL.

• Like 1

Re: trooper Finn (FN-2187) ...

If you want to be a Legion member *and* costume specifically as FN-2187, I suggest you first get approved as a standard FO grunt, then do the detailing that is specific to that character. I would also recommend having a separate helmet and ensuring your dirt is non-permanent.

• Like 1

Re: trooper Finn (FN-2187) ...

If you want to be a Legion member *and* costume specifically as FN-2187, I suggest you first get approved as a standard FO grunt, then do the detailing that is specific to that character. I would also recommend having a separate helmet and ensuring your dirt is non-permanent.

Yeah, the idea was to do a much lighter version of stormtrooper-style weathering using fuller's earth/water/hairspray, etc. I'm only going to use water solulable elements, so I can return the armor to pristine quickly if necessary.

Is there a particular reason why getting approval as a standard FOTK would be the preferable route~? Just out of curiosity.

~JJ

My guess here would be that bloody-handprint Finn is questionable to classify as a "bad guy" so just get approved as a TK and then you can just use the alternate helmet (or helmet-less) version at events where you aren't required to wear only approved accessories. That gives you approval but also the ability to play Finn at most events with no issues.

• Like 1

Yeah, the idea was to do a much lighter version of stormtrooper-style weathering using fuller's earth/water/hairspray, etc. I'm only going to use water solulable elements, so I can return the armor to pristine quickly if necessary.

Is there a particular reason why getting approval as a standard FOTK would be the preferable route~? Just out of curiosity.

~JJ

What Clint said.

Also, because the CRL is already in place and there is already plenty of precedent to follow. There is no CRL specific to FN-2187, and IMO there isn't likely to be one. Being a pioneer is awesome, but it's always easier to capitalize on someone else's hard work (in a good way).

Great precedence example - there are a few OT troopers who regularly costume as Mr. No Stripes from ANH, but they got approved as a standard ANH stunt trooper first in order to get themselves "official". Once you're in - you're in. The rest is up to you. :)

Do we know if there are any foreseeable amendments coming to this CRL in the near future? Anything I should take into consideration as I prepare to begin my build in the coming weeks? I guess I'm just trying to future-proof myself as much as possible :P

Edit: Weeks may become days now ;)

Edited by shadan

Do we know if there are any foreseeable amendments coming to this CRL in the near future? Anything I should take into consideration as I prepare to begin my build in the coming weeks? I guess I'm just trying to future-proof myself as much as possible

Edit: Weeks may become days now ;)

Closing in on jims list too? Lol

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

This will be up to the new DL but the only thing I can see changing eventually is some wording in the biceps to allow them to have a seam and open up like the screen used ones. But that won't preclude closed seamless biceps. You'll have to wait until March to see if that change goes through when the new DL's term starts. 

-Eric

• Like 1